News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadtrips 2009

Started by Chris, January 19, 2009, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Do you already have plans for roadtrips in 2009?

I'm a little short on cash the next 1.5 years so no big overseas roadtrips, so it's gonna be somewhere in Europe.

I've travelled to Spain last summer (2,200 miles in 5 days) but I wanna see some mountains, so it's gonna be Switzerland and then head to France for some cross-country travel.

Just after the summer season, I am gonna do a roadtrip with a friend of mine to central Europe, like Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary. The roads are great there now, they have all been renovated years ago.

What are your plans?

un1

This is a list for every month of our trips that we will take:
(Just so you know, we live in Thunder Bay, Ontario)

January - No planned trips.
February - South Padre Island, Texas
March - No planned trips.
April - Winnipeg, Manitoba
May - Duluth, Minnesota
June - Toronto, Ontario
July - Still in Toronto.
August - Fargo, North Dakota
September - No planned trips.
October - No planned trips.
November - No planned trips.
December - Toronto, Ontario

So most of them are short but the one to Texas will take us three days o get there, and the ones to Toronto take us 17 hours, and we drive. 

-un1
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

ComputerGuy

July 2009 - Washington, D.C. (2,000 miles of fun) :D

deathtopumpkins

I don't have enough money this year... We usually drove somewhere about 10-13 hours away every summer. We've been to Salem, MA; Old Saybrook, CT; Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA; and St. Augustine, FL in recent years.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

rawr apples

March - Detroit to DC
Summer - Cross Country possibly

That's it for me probably

Maybe a few Portland - Seattles
Now shut up and drivee

ComputerGuy

Quote from: rawr apples on January 19, 2009, 01:23:58 PM
March - Detroit to DC
Summer - Cross Country possibly

That's it for me probably

Maybe a few Portland - Seattles

If you come here, visit I-5 Exit 189...one hell of an interchange...I-5, Broadway, SR 99, SR 527, SR 526...

Alex

Trip ideas floating thus far include Dallas, Midland-Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo, perhaps later this winter.
Driving up Interstate 75 to Kentucky and Michigan and all over the lower peninsula.
Lake Tahoe for a wedding.
Maybe Death Valley with Mike?

Darkchylde

February: To Winnfield, LA by way of Natchez, MS

No others planned... I do most of my roadtrips as spur-of-the-moment things.

OracleUsr

It's not an interstate roadtrip (it might turn out to be one, but I'm not sure I actually want to do that part of it)

In late June/early July (basically around the week before July 4th), I hope to be taking a lighthouse hopping trip to the Outer Banks, and, possibly, to the Hampton Roads area.  At least get 5-7 of NC's lighthouses in pictures for my upcoming book Landmarks with Light

Boring?  Perhaps, but after two years of going to New Jersey (2007) and Florida (2008), I'm ready to take a shorter trip.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

algorerhythms

I might be unlazy enough to leave the county at some point. Maybe.

:poke:

deathtopumpkins

OracleUsr: If you come here to Hampton Roads looking for lighthouses, be sure to visit Cape Henry Light. The really old original stone tower (1700s) is open for climbing, and quite a climb it is!  :nod: I highly recommend the OBX lights though... seen all of them except the southernmost two major ones many times.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Alex

Quote from: OracleUsr on January 20, 2009, 11:03:52 PM
It's not an interstate roadtrip (it might turn out to be one, but I'm not sure I actually want to do that part of it)

In late June/early July (basically around the week before July 4th), I hope to be taking a lighthouse hopping trip to the Outer Banks, and, possibly, to the Hampton Roads area.  At least get 5-7 of NC's lighthouses in pictures for my upcoming book Landmarks with Light

Boring?  Perhaps, but after two years of going to New Jersey (2007) and Florida (2008), I'm ready to take a shorter trip.

I used to live in Kitty Hawk and always enjoyed seeing Bodie Island and Corolla Lighthouses.

deathtopumpkins

If you go to Bodie you have to stop at the beach across the street (Coquina). ;-) There's some cool stuff there, including a 1730s (if my memory is correct) shipwreck in the dunes.

aaroads: Oh, I hate you  :-P You got to LIVE there!

OracleUsr

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 20, 2009, 11:09:13 PM
OracleUsr: If you come here to Hampton Roads looking for lighthouses, be sure to visit Cape Henry Light. The really old original stone tower (1700s) is open for climbing, and quite a climb it is!  :nod: I highly recommend the OBX lights though... seen all of them except the southernmost two major ones many times.

Actually, on my NJ trip, I did stop at Cape Henry and climbed the old tower.  Great side trip, except for having my car extensively searched, en route to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel and the Delmarva Peninsula.  The daymark on the newer tower is really cool, IMHO.

As for Coquina Beach, been there.  One of the access roads is actually opposite the crossroads for the lighthouse road off NC 12, if I'm not mistaken.

I have pics of the 5 OBX lighthouses, and pics of the insides of two of them, but they're from an older camera that I found took unscalable pictures, so I'm going back at least to the 5 (Ocracoke, Cape Hatteras, Bodie Island, Currituck Beach/Corolla, and Cape Lookout) and maybe the two southern ones you mention (Oak Island and Baldhead Island, if I'm not mistaken) for more and better pictures.  I want to make my book as clean as possible.

AARoads:  Good shot of the Bodie Island Lighthouse.

Alex

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 20, 2009, 11:12:27 PM
If you go to Bodie you have to stop at the beach across the street (Coquina). ;-) There's some cool stuff there, including a 1730s (if my memory is correct) shipwreck in the dunes.

aaroads: Oh, I hate you  :-P You got to LIVE there!

Hence all of my experiences in Hampton Roads (and my early OBX Roads project).

It was not bad living there, but the winter was pretty cold and as the weather warms, the traffic goes up exponentially. Driving across the Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge gets old too...

For anyone that considers visiting, be sure to check out Jockey's Ridge State Park, the largest natural sand dune on the east coast.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: OracleUsr on January 20, 2009, 11:23:41 PM
Actually, on my NJ trip, I did stop at Cape Henry and climbed the old tower.  Great side trip, except for having my car extensively searched, en route to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel and the Delmarva Peninsula.  The daymark on the newer tower is really cool, IMHO.
Hmm... last time I drove on Fort Story was pre-9/11, so they didn't search us then, in fact there was hardly any security. You went after then, right?

QuoteAs for Coquina Beach, been there.  One of the access roads is actually opposite the crossroads for the lighthouse road off NC 12, if I'm not mistaken.
It is! That's what I meant by across the street.  ;-)

QuoteI have pics of the 5 OBX lighthouses, and pics of the insides of two of them, but they're from an older camera that I found took unscalable pictures, so I'm going back at least to the 5 (Ocracoke, Cape Hatteras, Bodie Island, Currituck Beach/Corolla, and Cape Lookout) and maybe the two southern ones you mention (Oak Island and Baldhead Island, if I'm not mistaken) for more and better pictures.  I want to make my book as clean as possible
Ahh, you're in luck if you wish to take pictures then. This past summer they finally finished restoring the bottom of the inside of Bodie, and you can go inside it and take pictures now.  ;-)
As for the southern two, I believe those are them, though for some reason the name Cape Fear keeps poking into my mind...

WillWeaverRVA

I've got a lot of friends in Springfield, Illinois. I might make that a roadtrip destination this summer rather than fly out there.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Dougtone

Roadtrips for this year.  Since I recently moved from Albany, NY to Binghamton, NY, I figure to make more local trips around Central New York, the Finger Lakes and Pennsylvania as opposed to the Hudson Valley and New England.  I make an annual trip to Maine, and that won't be changing.  I may visit Oregon for a week over the summer to visit family.  Perhaps a trip to Washington, D.C. is in order.  I am also looking to go to Ontario, Detroit, West Virginia, and I'd like to finish off Ohio's counties (I have 17 to go).

njroadhorse

Maybe some miscellaneous stuff over Spring Break
I might chronicle the Jersey Shore's roads this summer
At least one to Ohio, Mass, and Virginia over the spring/summer/fall
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

deathtopumpkins

Where at in Virginia, njroadhorse?

OracleUsr

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 20, 2009, 11:51:55 PM
Quote from: OracleUsr on January 20, 2009, 11:23:41 PM
Hmm... last time I drove on Fort Story was pre-9/11, so they didn't search us then, in fact there was hardly any security. You went after then, right?

QuoteAs for Coquina Beach, been there.  One of the access roads is actually opposite the crossroads for the lighthouse road off NC 12, if I'm not mistaken.
It is! That's what I meant by across the street.  ;-)

QuoteI have pics of the 5 OBX lighthouses, and pics of the insides of two of them, but they're from an older camera that I found took unscalable pictures, so I'm going back at least to the 5 (Ocracoke, Cape Hatteras, Bodie Island, Currituck Beach/Corolla, and Cape Lookout) and maybe the two southern ones you mention (Oak Island and Baldhead Island, if I'm not mistaken) for more and better pictures.  I want to make my book as clean as possible
Ahh, you're in luck if you wish to take pictures then. This past summer they finally finished restoring the bottom of the inside of Bodie, and you can go inside it and take pictures now.  ;-)
As for the southern two, I believe those are them, though for some reason the name Cape Fear keeps poking into my mind...

Sorry to post so late in replying.

First, yes, I went back in '07 to Fort Story, so it was well after 9/11 (interestingly, though, it was the first year that the anniversary fell on the same day of the week, Tuesday, as the actual event).  I could tell they were really nervous about tourist traffic into the military base, which explained their aversion to my camera.

Yeah, I remember seeing the crossroads on NC 12 that had the Coquina turnoff opposite the lighthouse road.  Only one crossroads sign in that part of Dare County, IIRC.

The name Cape Fear wasn't far off, as Caswell Beach (Oak Island) and Baldhead Island are both in the Cape Fear River area.

I read about the Bodie Island opening.  Definitely want to visit that before closing time one day, and maybe "nightspot" the lighthouse as well, taking pictures at dusk.  I would love to do that with the Bodie Island and Currituck Beach lighthouses, as these are the only two of the seven that still have first-order Fresnel lenses (Ocracoke has a fourth-order Fresnel lens, but the idea of a white painted lighthouse that is hard as h--- to find showing a fixed white light doesn't really excite me as a night destination)

deathtopumpkins

Oh, I've seen Bodie Island at night before... what a sight to behold. And postcards, photos, etc. just don't do it justice... Can't recall ever having been at Currituck at night though. And I suppose Ocracoke is hard to get to, but that was part of the appeal of it to me.

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on January 20, 2009, 11:07:40 PM
I might be unlazy enough to leave the county at some point. Maybe.

Oh, come now, you know you want to experience the verdant fields of McClain County!  :nod:

My plans are for making it to Kansas City twice this year as normal (possibly hitting Springfield MO just afterward on one trip.) Beyond that I'm planning to be in Waukesha, WI for catofdar's wedding and hopefully Dan Garnell's Indianapolis meet. That's about all I can do without my workplace getting all apoplectic about it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Freewayjim

In June/July I may head up to NH to visit family, I did not get up there in 2008 so I'm hoping to do it this year. Depending on business & such I may take another trip somewhere in August and there's always the possibility of a day trip some weekend this spring (either Knoxville, Nashville or Birmingham/Montgomery)

There is also a good chance of a trip to Charleston, SC to visit my In-Laws. I love my wife, she does not make me sit there & visit, I can go off and do all the road-geeking I can handle as well as a trip to the USS Yorktown where the gift shop has a ton of Ravenel Bridge items :)
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

SSOWorld

Outside of standard trips toward Milwaukee and up north in WI, I hope to make the Youngstown meet or a SW PA meet.  Money isn't really a luxury atm so I'm limited. :ded:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.