News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Clinching STL interstates

Started by citrus, April 26, 2018, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citrus

I'm in St. Louis for a business trip... I have a few hours to kill tomorrow. So, in roadgeek fashion, I thought: maybe I should try to clinch all the Interstates in the area - specifically, the 255/270 beltway and anything inside. I've never been to STL before, and I'm not likely to return very soon... what's the path that makes the most sense? I'm staying off of I-64 (or "highway forty", I suppose!) in the Central West End.

AsphaltPlanet

I spent some time in Saint Louis last year, I think the freeway that I enjoyed the most was Hwy 364, though your mileage may vary.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

1995hoo

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 27, 2018, 07:43:09 AM
I spent some time in Saint Louis last year, I think the freeway that I enjoyed the most was Hwy 364, though your mileage may vary.

Same here on both fronts, recognizing that's a state route and not an Interstate. I didn't clinch everything in the area, so I don't really have any thoughts on the best route. One thought I do have for the OP is that if you've travelled most of I-64, or if you expect to do so in the future, you ought to take the extra time to drive out to its western end. You wouldn't want that little piece to be all that's keeping you from a clinch.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I have all the interstates in the STL area clinched except for the Stan Span and I-170, but I got them during different trips and not during one visit to the city.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 27, 2018, 08:34:17 AM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 27, 2018, 07:43:09 AM

Same here on both fronts, recognizing that's a state route and not an Interstate. I didn't clinch everything in the area, so I don't really have any thoughts on the best route. One thought I do have for the OP is that if you've travelled most of I-64, or if you expect to do so in the future, you ought to take the extra time to drive out to its western end. You wouldn't want that little piece to be all that's keeping you from a clinch.

Or clinching the eastern end of I 44 which may be more likely given that op lives in California.

roadman65

If you land in Lambert, take I-70 W Bound to I-270.  Go  south to I-44, and then east to Downtown. Then head south on I-55 to I-270 and go north.  Loop back around and continue across the Chain of Rocks into IL where you can take to I-255 South.

Take 255 south to I-64 West.  I-64 West to I-55 South back into St. Louie.  Then I-44 West to I-70 West back to the Airport.  Then U Turn to I-70 East.  Cross the Musial Bridge and back into IL where you head that back to I-255.  Head south to its terminus, and there you clinched everything inside the loop minus the I-64 you were not too keen on.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.