News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Jersey freeways" outside of New Jersey

Started by froggie, November 14, 2011, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

As many of you may know, "Jersey Freeway" is a term applied to a type of multilane divided road whereby private access is allowed but at-grade access across the median is prohibited.  Instead, access from one side to the other (and all "left turns") is provided via interchanges and overpasses.  This type of road is often found in New Jersey (hence the term), but examples exist elsewhere.

While on a trip to Maine this past weekend, I pondered the existence of Jersey freeways outside of Jersey proper.  There are three I know of offhand and I'll start with those examples:

- US 1 on the north side of Boston, from the end of the Northeast Expressway north to past the connector to the I-95/MA 128 Loop.  If it wasn't for a jughandle/U-turn just north of the connector, the Jersey freeway would extend further north to the interchange at I-95/Exit 50.

- BYPASS US 1 in Portsmouth, NH, from the traffic circle at US 4/NH 16 north to the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge.

- US 1 through Bath, ME, from State Rd (the end of the full freeway from Brunswick) to the ramps to Middle St.  Technically US 1 continues as limited access across the river, but from Middle St east across the bridge is undivided road.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

There are several sections of US 22 between Ebensburg and Delmont, Pa., that are configured like this. And it appeared that portions of US 11/US 15 north of Harrisburg are as well; however, it was dark when I drove that route and all I saw was frequent U-turn signage.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on November 14, 2011, 08:45:17 PM
And it appeared that portions of US 11/US 15 north of Harrisburg are as well; however, it was dark when I drove that route and all I saw was frequent U-turn signage.
This has backwards jughandles (you turn left into it and cross the other direction at-grade).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

US 1 along the shore of Rhode Island is up for debate. There are no direct crossings, but there are U-turns in the median. If you look at them as individual left-exits and left-merges, I say it counts.

Bickendan

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2011, 05:37:24 AM
I-40 in New Mexico :)

for some reason, I remember those "TEMPORARY" side roads being closed off.  Am I mistaken?

that said - I-40 around the NC/TN line.  I-5 in the Grapevine.  I-8 in a few spots in western Arizona.  And probably others I am not recalling successfully.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

AsphaltPlanet

Ontario has expressways like that, we dubb them RIRO expressways.  Sections of both Hwy 11 and Hwy 35/115 meet this description

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

english si

There's lots of these on dual carriageways in the UK, as cross-median turns have been blocked off.

thinking of the A1 between Peterborough and Doncaster and the Northern Irish A1 between the A101 and Newry in particular.

formulanone

US 101 south of Petaluma, CA is like that, and so is US 70 in Raleigh, NC...nothing really like that in Florida.

I recall N152 in Spain used that type of setup in a few places, a few stores and gas stations between Montserrat and Barcelona. But I think that was used because some of the terrain had steep grades and curves in those mountain foothills.

Anthony_JK

Altenate US 90 (Old Spanish Trail/S. Main Street) in Houston between Beltway 8 and just short of I-610 is sort of a "Jersey freeway"...technically, it's a RIRO with interchanges with major roadways.

Anthony

TheStranger

Quote from: formulanone on November 16, 2011, 12:44:45 PM
US 101 south of Petaluma, CA is like that

Actually, there are three full out median crossings (two at San Antonio Road, one at Kastania Road where a gas station is), not quite the same thing.  More of a (California-style) expressway.
Chris Sampang

roadman65

US 69 in Overland Park, KS is one where it is aligned on Metcalf Avenue!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

The westernmost bits of NY 27/Sunrise Highway in Suffolk County are like this.

kphoger

Mexico is full of this type of expressway.  Below are some Google street view snapshots:

From the free bypass around Monterrey, NL (Saltillo - Reynosa, signed as Federal Highway 40):
This highway has had no at-grade intersections or even crossovers between the Highway 85 interchange and its terminus at the mainline of Highway 40 (a distance of 22 miles) since about 2009.

Highway 40 entering Saltillo from Monterrey is another example:
It now has no breaks in the median from the crossovers near the Venustiano Carranza sculpture to the stoplight at Calle Canadá (a distance of 3 miles); some of the stoplights were removed in favor of semi-freeway interchanges like this one, where southwest-bound traffic is carried over a bridge, and the left turn for northeast-bound traffic is accommodate at-grade underneath it.  ///Note - If you don't mind crossovers and median-located service areas, it's basically a Jersey freeway all the way from just outside Monterrey (a distance of 37 miles).///
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Another one I'd forgotten about:  PA 12 in Reading from US 222/422 to the overpass at PA 183.

Henry

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 15, 2011, 06:38:04 AM
Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2011, 05:37:24 AM
I-40 in New Mexico :)

for some reason, I remember those "TEMPORARY" side roads being closed off.  Am I mistaken?

that said - I-40 around the NC/TN line.  I-5 in the Grapevine.  I-8 in a few spots in western Arizona.  And probably others I am not recalling successfully.

I'm sure I-10 and/or I-20 in far western Texas are also like that. It's been years since I last came through what I used to call "the world's largest nowhere!"
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

I think SR 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz is one (where it's not a full freeway).

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on December 15, 2011, 11:37:45 PM
I think SR 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz is one (where it's not a full freeway).
While CA-17 does have a center barrier for most of it's length from Los Gatos to Scotts Valley, there are breaks in it to allow left turns onto side roads like at Idylwild Drive, Darrell Road, Glenwood Drive and Laurel Road just to name a few.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Dr Frankenstein

A section of QC-117 is like that, between Mont-Tremblant and Saint-Faustin.

Stephane Dumas

The High Plains Traveler

U.S. 169 from I-70 in Kansas City past the downtown airport is kind of like this description. Further north it's more of a true freeway closer to where it intersects I-29.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

sp_redelectric

Oregon 99W seems to have a few intermittent stretches that act similar - namely between the Tualatin River and Rex Hill, again between Newberg and Dundee, and yet again between Lafayette and McMinnville.  However in these sections there is a full median and not just a jersey barrier, so would that disqualify it?

Oregon 22 between the junctions with Oregon 51 and Oregon 99W west of Salem could potentially qualify since it used to be a standard five-lane road, with the jersey barrier taking out the center left-turn lane; yet private driveway access is still maintained.  Oregon 22 east of Salem, towards Stayton, is a mix of separate median and jersey barrier, but I'm not sure how many driveway accesses that it has.  It does, however, have an at-grade railroad crossing which is rather odd for what is otherwise a freeway.  (The railroad crosses not only the four lanes of the mainline, but also an on-ramp.)

TheStranger

Quote from: sp_redelectric on December 18, 2011, 01:53:35 AM
Oregon 99W seems to have a few intermittent stretches that act similar - namely between the Tualatin River and Rex Hill, again between Newberg and Dundee, and yet again between Lafayette and McMinnville.  However in these sections there is a full median and not just a jersey barrier, so would that disqualify it?

I would think that as long as there are no median crossings, it'd fit the description.
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.