News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 15, 2017, 12:45:29 AM
Woke up to the first snowfall of the season this morning. Should warm up this week again though. May be able to get in one last barbecue this season.

Hah! And here I thought the miserable rain I've had all week was bad.... It definitely could be worse, I guess. :banghead:

SignGeek101

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 15, 2017, 12:50:46 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 15, 2017, 12:45:29 AM
Woke up to the first snowfall of the season this morning. Should warm up this week again though. May be able to get in one last barbecue this season.

Hah! And here I thought the miserable rain I've had all week was bad.... It definitely could be worse, I guess. :banghead:

It wasn't that much. It all melted by early afternoon. Temperature was just above freezing, so the snow was very wet.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

7/8

It was pouring a few minutes ago! There's a wind warning with gusts of up to 90 km/h (56 mph).

allniter89

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 14, 2017, 09:49:11 PM
Quote from: allniter89 on October 14, 2017, 08:37:10 PM
Too damn hot for October, :angry: low 90s hi low 70s over nite with high humidity . Running 10 to 15 degrees above normal.
Relief beginning Moday highs in mid 70s low mid 50s. I hope the temps will stay seasonable until March.
Well, you do live in Florida.
Yeah but I'm waay up in the NW FL panhandle. We had an ice storm a few yrs back that shutdown everything for 3 days. Usually it starts to cool in early Oct to mid March but this yr the heat hangs on. Family issues keep me in FL, hopefully soon I will go home to DE or CO.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

jakeroot

english si

Orange and windy as the eye of ex-Hurricane Ophelia passes about 250 miles west of here bringing a load of Saharan Dust.

This was the Shipping Forecast yesterday for Fastnet - note that word for the state of the sea!

The offshore lighthouse that names that part of the sea measured a gust of 119mph earlier, and sustained winds were 88mph average - while the official channels refer to it as ex-hurricane, it is very much hurricane force winds (albeit only cat 1) in a cyclone from the tropics - it seems hurricane.

Ireland is responding to being holed up at home by drinking and cracking jokes.

Funnily enough it is the 30th anniversary of "The Great Storm" today, an extra-tropical cyclone that pummeled southern England with even stronger winds than Ophelia, catching it by surprise as the tracking was bad (and the BBC forecaster terribly misleading - so much so that he hasn't lived it down, and the audio of the 'bad' forecast played at the Olympic Opening Ceremony).

jp the roadgeek

Went from August like weather to November in about 24 hours.  Yesterday was humid with highs near 80.  Today is cloudy and it may not get out of the 50's.  Outlying areas might get the first frost of the season with lows in the 30's tonight.  Seeing snowblower ads on TV remind me of what is coming.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

english si

Quote from: english si on October 16, 2017, 10:12:53 AMOrange
It's got more grey now (mostly as darker with thicker cloud), but here's a picture someone took in London. The weather was "Orange".

index

It's very dim, cool, overcast, and rainy, just how I like it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jakeroot

Quote from: english si on October 16, 2017, 10:21:39 AM
Quote from: english si on October 16, 2017, 10:12:53 AM
Orange

It's got more grey now (mostly as darker with thicker cloud), but here's a picture someone took in London. The weather was "Orange".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMQ_CWfX0AE7H5k.jpg

That's stunning! You'd think there was a wildfire nearby (not sure if that's a problem in the UK like it is here in the western US).

Is the storm dropping a bit of sand, or is it mostly staying in the air?

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

1995hoo

Beautiful day in Cleveland, went up to around 75° with a nice breeze off the lake.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

7/8

It's currently 21 C (69 F) and sunny - warm enough for t-shirts and shorts!

Roadgeekteen

english si

Quote from: jakeroot on October 16, 2017, 04:05:01 PMThat's stunning! You'd think there was a wildfire nearby (not sure if that's a problem in the UK like it is here in the western US).
There were/are wildfires in Portugal that contributed - ie about a 1000 miles away!

We do have wildfires, but they weren't even seen as a serious threat until 2012 after several bad ones in 2011. Britain mostly deforested itself and so there's not vast expanses of woodland (though there are many ancient woods) save for those created more recently for forestry industry. All large wooded areas are fairly intensely managed. Certainly, near London, there is very little.

Things like Epping Forest and the New Forest, and other former-Royal hunting forests (Sherwood, though that's mostly been changed again) are mixed - some wooded areas, but broken up. Grazing is a key role for much of the English countryside, and sheep (and ponies in this New Forest example here) aren't want to leave anything above a fine tooth comb, so one has to work against them to make copses - fences and the like, until the saplings become big enough to not get eaten.
QuoteIs the storm dropping a bit of sand, or is it mostly staying in the air?
It didn't drop it - here at least - it didn't even rain. I think the particles were very fine anyway, so it would be hard to notice anything other than a big drop.

Storm Brian (the second extratropical cyclone of the UK/Ireland winter storm season that ex-Hurricane Orphelia has dominated) have given today several short sharp showers, windy throughout and cloud-cover changing repeatedly.

1995hoo

Back home and it is a glorious afternoon, 75°F with no clouds and no humidity. We just went for a walk around the lake in our neighborhood and it couldn't be a much nicer day for it unless maybe more of the leaves had started turning.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

allniter89

Cloudy/breezy high 79° today. Possible severe thunderstorms tonight. I think we're done with the heat/humidity until March :clap:. Highs Monday-Thursday below 80° & clear weather.
Time to get my outdoor projects started, it'll be great to work outside & be comfortable.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

jakeroot

Miserable Saturday in Western Washington. 1-3" of rain in parts (a lot for us -- rained nonstop from morning through early this morning), and in the mid-50s pretty much the whole day (even at night). It was windy a few days before, so a lot of drains were blocked up and there was plenty of localised flooding. Some rivers are also about to burst their banks.

Today has been good (some showers but overall dry). Forecast looks good too. At least no persistent flooding rains ahead (just showers).

Roadgeekteen

55 right now, high of 73 and cloudy.

kkt

About 65 and mostly sunny, makes me wish I could take the afternoon off.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.