News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Visit Any State "Orphans" Lately??

Started by thenetwork, May 27, 2013, 06:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 28, 2013, 03:00:04 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on May 28, 2013, 12:39:03 PM
Washington DC has the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.  Columbia Island would also count unless by land includes jumping from a bridge (I-66).

That's Roosevelt Island. 

Columbia Island can be reached from the  "Virginia" end of the Arlington Memorial Bridge (which is still in D.C.).

True enough.  Got my signals crossed as I researched both islands and ruled out Columbia Island for the reason you gave, then typed it anyway.

texaskdog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2013, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2013, 02:01:11 PM
Indeed.  For example, the entire state of Alaska is a pene-exclave of the United States.  It is, in fact, the world's largest pene-exclave.

it's also a regular non-penile exclave.  as far as I know, Alaska's water territory does not share a boundary with that of, say, Washington.

Heh heh you said penile

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 28, 2013, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 28, 2013, 03:00:04 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on May 28, 2013, 12:39:03 PM
Washington DC has the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.  Columbia Island would also count unless by land includes jumping from a bridge (I-66).

That's Roosevelt Island. 

Columbia Island can be reached from the  "Virginia" end of the Arlington Memorial Bridge (which is still in D.C.).

True enough.  Got my signals crossed as I researched both islands and ruled out Columbia Island for the reason you gave, then typed it anyway.

Not a problem.  It is possible to walk from Virginia to Roosevelt Island (in D.C.) via a small bridge (no motorized traffic allowed) from a parking lot on the northbound side of the  George Washington Memorial Parkway.

To make things more fun, there are no signs at all marking the D.C./Va. boundary  along the George Washington Memorial Parkway - or on Washington Boulevard, S.W. (Va. 27 on the Virginia  side of the Boundary Channel).

Many people assume that the "Virginia" end of the Arlington Memorial Bridge is in Virginia, but it isn't. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 28, 2013, 03:06:26 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2013, 06:24:28 PM
In other words, if you wish to get to a certain part of a state by land, you can only reach it if you go through another state.

The extreme southwest corner of Jefferson  County, W.Va. is only reachable by land via  Va. 601 (Raven Rocks Road) off of Va. 7 (Harry  Byrd Highway) in Loudoun County. Google Maps here. I suppose it is possible to walk across private lands from other parts of Jefferson County, but  if you want to drive, you must take Va. 601 through Loudoun County.

Also privately-owned Selden Island, Montgomery County, Md. in the Potomac River is only reachable by land from a small private bridge (not open to the public) from Loudoun  County, Va.  Google Maps here.

I remember reading an article some years back (almost certainly in the Washington Post) about some of those areas along the state line and what a hassle they all found it to be in terms of government services. The school bus rides were quite long and getting emergency vehicles to come–apparently they didn't have a deal with the other state–was particularly problematic because the drivers would turn back when they saw a state line sign.

The comment further up the thread about Vulcan, WV, makes it sound as though those sorts of problems aren't unique.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on May 28, 2013, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2013, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 28, 2013, 02:01:11 PM
Indeed.  For example, the entire state of Alaska is a pene-exclave of the United States.  It is, in fact, the world's largest pene-exclave.

it's also a regular non-penile exclave.  as far as I know, Alaska's water territory does not share a boundary with that of, say, Washington.

Heh heh you said penile

So did you.  heh heh
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on May 27, 2013, 11:20:43 PM
I drive I-684 through Connecticut fairly often.

looks like not only I-684, but a business in Connecticut as well, can only be accessed from New York

http://goo.gl/maps/99i16
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2013, 08:24:53 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 27, 2013, 11:20:43 PM
I drive I-684 through Connecticut fairly often.

looks like not only I-684, but a business in Connecticut as well, can only be accessed from New York

http://goo.gl/maps/99i16

An animation studio owned by 20th Century Fox.  Cool!
This was formerly the site of Greenwich American Can.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2013, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 28, 2013, 03:22:16 PM
Ellis Island is accessible by car from New Jersey, so I guess that counts.  Never driven that bridge, though.  Judging by the signage on the mainland side, it doesn't look like it's public access.

are there welcome signs for NY and NJ on that bridge?

Doesn't appear so.

But the bridge is most definitely not open to the general public.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

renegade

What about US-212 in the northeast corner of Wyoming?  That part of the state is only accessible from Montana and South Dakota.

I guess I needed to jump in here at some point.   :happy:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

andy3175

Another example of an isolated place in Wyoming (aside from US 212 near Colony) is Alta, Wyoming, home of Grand Targhee Ski Resort. While someone could theoretically hike from Grand Teton National Park west into Alta and remain in Wyoming the whole time, the most logical way to get to Alta is by driving Wyoming 22 west to Idaho 33 north to Driggs and Little Avenue/Ski Hill Road east to Alta.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

NE2

Hey look, another orphaned joyrod: US 191 in far northwest Wyoming. It's the only road through Yellowstone that's intended for through truck trarffic and doesn't charge a toll.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

I would say that Alaska is NOT physically connected to the rest of the US.  To reach it without entering Canada, you have to travel in international waters, and therefore leave the US.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Kanatakon, QC.

The customs situation can be weird on some the international ones.  Hyde, AK has no inspection station of the US side but does on the Canadian side for some reason (they only conceivable reason I can think of is to enforce Canada's drunk driving laws).  Estcourt Junction, ME has customs on both sides for reasons I don't understand.  This one is very strict - the agents have said that one lady, whose property straddles the border, has to report to customs just to water her plants - and customs only has limited hours!  Kanatakon, QC has no border patrol on either side, but that's probably only due to the Akwesasne reservation; both sides would install inspection booths here in a heartbeat if they could.

Quote from: Duke87 on May 28, 2013, 09:10:25 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2013, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 28, 2013, 03:22:16 PM
Ellis Island is accessible by car from New Jersey, so I guess that counts.  Never driven that bridge, though.  Judging by the signage on the mainland side, it doesn't look like it's public access.

are there welcome signs for NY and NJ on that bridge?

Doesn't appear so.

But the bridge is most definitely not open to the general public.
Not that the bridge actually crosses a state line.  The Supreme Court ruled that the state boundary followed the original edge of the island, so all the reclaimed land (the majority of the island) is part of NJ, and NJ isn't giving it up any time soon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on May 29, 2013, 11:00:14 AM

The customs situation can be weird on some the international ones.  Hyde, AK has no inspection station of the US side but does on the Canadian side for some reason (they only conceivable reason I can think of is to enforce Canada's drunk driving laws).  Estcourt Junction, ME has customs on both sides for reasons I don't understand.  This one is very strict - the agents have said that one lady, whose property straddles the border, has to report to customs just to water her plants - and customs only has limited hours!  Kanatakon, QC has no border patrol on either side, but that's probably only due to the Akwesasne reservation; both sides would install inspection booths here in a heartbeat if they could.

Estcourt Station was also the site of the Michel Jalbert fiasco at the hands of the US CBP.

Another story about it: http://injusticebusters.org/2003/Jalbert_Michel.html
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2013, 11:19:55 AM

Estcourt Station was also the site of the Michel Jalbert fiasco at the hands of the US CBP.

if the US insists on doing everything by the book in Estcourt Station (which is silly), they should simply sell the land to Canada, and use the money on the residents to either relocate elsewhere in the US, or to handle the paperwork of becoming Canadian residents (and citizens, if they so desire) smoothly.  there's no reason to have that kind of bureaucracy. 

or, ya know, make it easier and have the border guards learn to recognize the 100 or so locals of the area and allow them unfettered access to either side of things.  but that would be far too simple.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 29, 2013, 11:51:26 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2013, 11:19:55 AM

if the US insists on doing everything by the book in Estcourt Station (which is silly), they should simply sell the land to Canada, and use the money on the residents to either relocate elsewhere in the US, or to handle the paperwork of becoming Canadian residents (and citizens, if they so desire) smoothly.  there's no reason to have that kind of bureaucracy. 

or, ya know, make it easier and have the border guards learn to recognize the 100 or so locals of the area and allow them unfettered access to either side of things.  but that would be far too simple.

I've a better idea - the  President should order the Secretary of DHS to order CBP (and the U.S. Border Patrol) to cut out the nonsense at Estcourt Station and stop bothering the locals that want to cross there for the cheaper motor fuel  on the U.S. side of the border.

U.S. border "protection" along the U.S./Canadian line is an embarrassment to me as a U.S. citizen and taxpayer.  Especially at places like Estcourt Station and  Derby Line.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

I don't think the president cares about Estcourt Station.  only four voters.

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

I would say that Alaska is NOT physically connected to the rest of the US.  To reach it without entering Canada, you have to travel in international waters, and therefore leave the US.

The Alaska Marine Highway has two popular auto ferry routes connecting Bellingham WA to southeast Alaska.  One of them, every two weeks in the summer, also includes stops near Anchorage and on the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage.  Those routes pass through Canadian waters, but with no stops in Canada or need to clear customs.  They come in handy for travelers who want to take their cars between Alaska and the lower 48 (or between southeast Alaska and the rest of the state), but can't drive through Canada due to DUI or other criminal records, or who want to bring with them firearms or other goods legal in the U.S. but not in Canada. 

Hyder, AK has no inspection station of the US side but does on the Canadian side for some reason (they only conceivable reason I can think of is to enforce Canada's drunk driving laws).

Also to help catch Canadians smuggling cheap tobacco and alcohol purchased in Hyder, though even before the checkpoint was opened the RCMP was watching for that stuff as well as DUIs.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2013, 04:24:15 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 28, 2013, 03:06:26 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2013, 06:24:28 PM
In other words, if you wish to get to a certain part of a state by land, you can only reach it if you go through another state.

The extreme southwest corner of Jefferson  County, W.Va. is only reachable by land via  Va. 601 (Raven Rocks Road) off of Va. 7 (Harry  Byrd Highway) in Loudoun County. Google Maps here. I suppose it is possible to walk across private lands from other parts of Jefferson County, but  if you want to drive, you must take Va. 601 through Loudoun County.

Also privately-owned Selden Island, Montgomery County, Md. in the Potomac River is only reachable by land from a small private bridge (not open to the public) from Loudoun  County, Va.  Google Maps here.

I remember reading an article some years back (almost certainly in the Washington Post) about some of those areas along the state line and what a hassle they all found it to be in terms of government services. The school bus rides were quite long and getting emergency vehicles to come–apparently they didn't have a deal with the other state–was particularly problematic because the drivers would turn back when they saw a state line sign.

The comment further up the thread about Vulcan, WV, makes it sound as though those sorts of problems aren't unique.

I recall that as well - and it may have related to that little snippet of Jefferson County, W.Va. that can only be reached from Loudoun County, Va.

The islands in the Potomac River have been trouble sometimes, but it usually involves river rescues and sometimes medical emergencies of people "trapped" on one of them.  Usually Montgomery County, Md. Fire & Rescue as well as their colleagues from Fairfax County or Loudoun  County end up responding, and they work well together.

If it's a law enforcement problem, then I suppose that Montgomery County Police, or sometimes Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police (they have the same police powers as the Maryland State Police and are often present in or near the Potomac River enforcing boating laws and fish and game laws and regulations) must respond, since Virginia law enforcement has no jurisdiction on any of the islands, not even Selden Island with its only land connection to Virginia.

Brandon

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 29, 2013, 12:04:29 PM
I've a better idea - the  President should order the Secretary of DHS to order CBP (and the U.S. Border Patrol) to cut out the nonsense at Estcourt Station and stop bothering the locals that want to cross there for the cheaper motor fuel  on the U.S. side of the border.

U.S. border "protection" along the U.S./Canadian line is an embarrassment to me as a U.S. citizen and taxpayer.  Especially at places like Estcourt Station and  Derby Line.

Most agreed.  Why the hell we need protection along the Canadian border is beyond me.  Are they so afraid that someone might just buy some weed in Canada and smoke it in the US?  Are they so afraid that someone might smuggle a toilet from Canada?  We need to work together better with Canada and just dump the border controls altogether.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on May 29, 2013, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 29, 2013, 12:04:29 PM

Most agreed.  Why the hell we need protection along the Canadian border is beyond me.  Are they so afraid that someone might just buy some weed in Canada and smoke it in the US?  Are they so afraid that someone might smuggle a toilet from Canada?  We need to work together better with Canada and just dump the border controls altogether.

How easily we forget.  It's all about terrorists.  Somehow.  I think.  Because Georgia.
Male pronouns, please.

apeman33

St. Joseph, Mo., is separated from its airport by the Missouri River. A flood in 1951 changed the course of the river, cutting off land routes from St. Joseph proper. The only way there by land is to go through Elwood, Kansas. K-238, before it was decommissioned, led to the state line. I went up there after it was decommissioned when Elwood annexed a part of U.S. 36.

ap70621

There is a remote corner of Vernon, NJ that can only be accessed through Warwick, NY or West Milford, NJ most of the year. When Wawayanda State Park is open however you can get to it without leaving town, but it has a fee of $5 to enter the park.

usends

Quote from: apeman33 on May 29, 2013, 09:08:27 PM
St. Joseph, Mo., is separated from its airport by the Missouri River. A flood in 1951 changed the course of the river, cutting off land routes from St. Joseph proper.

It's becoming apparent that a lot of these examples came about because of rivers shifting course.  Makes me wonder if it would've made more sense if we'd defined state boundaries not in terms of where the actual river happened to be flowing at the time, but rather in terms of the midpoint of the floodplain.  I suppose that would solve some issues, but not all, and it might introduce other problems.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

oscar

Quote from: usends on May 30, 2013, 10:28:48 AM
Quote from: apeman33 on May 29, 2013, 09:08:27 PM
St. Joseph, Mo., is separated from its airport by the Missouri River. A flood in 1951 changed the course of the river, cutting off land routes from St. Joseph proper.

It's becoming apparent that a lot of these examples came about because of rivers shifting course.  Makes me wonder if it would've made more sense if we'd defined state boundaries not in terms of where the actual river happened to be flowing at the time, but rather in terms of the midpoint of the floodplain.  I suppose that would solve some issues, but not all, and it might introduce other problems.

But the midpoint of the flood plain is rather indefinite, plus it might move too.

The only way to really solve that kind of border problem is to line the river in concrete so that the river will never move again.  That was part of the resolution of the Chamizal border dispute involving the Rio Grande between El Paso and Ciudad Juarez.  Of course, often the solution will be worse than the problem, especially for rivers as long as the Mississippi and the Missouri.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.