Only in Iowa ?

Started by US71, July 07, 2021, 03:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Heading to Quad Cites for the road meet,  I hit some road work along I-80 east of Des Moines.  The westbound lanes were converted to two-way traffic while the eastbound lanes were for oversized loads only, but not everyone followed directions.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wanderer2575

Looks like a standard split/merge arrangement, with one direction having one lane on each carriageway.  I've never seen one with signing specifically indicating the rightmost split lane is for oversized loads only (or local traffic only).

rte66man

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 07, 2021, 03:39:44 PM
Looks like a standard split/merge arrangement, with one direction having one lane on each carriageway.  I've never seen one with signing specifically indicating the rightmost split lane is for oversized loads only (or local traffic only).

I think MN is doing something similar on the I-94 reconstruction east of Rogers.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: rte66man on July 07, 2021, 06:20:32 PM

I think MN is doing something similar on the I-94 reconstruction east of Rogers.
The temporary setup was one express lane running counter flow, and two lanes on the original side.  I don't remember any designations for oversized vehicles.  The expansion is complete now.

Revive 755

Quote from: rte66man on July 07, 2021, 06:20:32 PM

I think I've previously encountered a similar setup in some other state as well.  Maybe I-65 in Kentucky?  Can't recall if there was one or two lanes left on the original carriageway though.

rarnold

Sometimes this is done at interchanges to keep people from using them for u-turns. Iowa also uses breakaway markers to do this as well, placing them close together at interchanges.

Max Rockatansky

Caltrans has been getting big on this in freeway construction zones.  I prefer to stay right in them given there is actual access to freeway exits that the left lane/s can't get to.  Atwater and Madera come to mind as infamous temporary choke points via this temporary setup on CA 99.

SSOWorld

ISTHA has been doing this on both the Tri-State now and the Northwest tollway back in the oughts
IDOT did this in the Chicago Loop with the Kennedy at the rapid fire ramps
INDOT is doing this on the Borman - and has done so multiple times.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.