News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is Countertrolling a Troll The Answer

Started by roadman65, March 08, 2023, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 01:50:09 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 30, 2023, 01:11:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 29, 2023, 08:53:31 PM
Does anyone seriously believe MMM wasn't a troll at this point on the basis of his own post content?  If you were on the fence how is a second hand account from someone credible like 1 not enough evidence?
Problem was not with the troll, but with his zookepers.
A well-trained properly maintained troll, who is not ofed on a regular basis,  grows long white fur and doesn't bite people around him.
To be completely honest, it was fun to argue with MMM at times. It was only when he started talking about child abuse did it go from fun to upsetting and uncomfortable.

You miss the things he talked about in regards to TNG?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2023, 02:00:09 PM
Does anyone seriously believe MMM wasn't a troll at this point on the basis of his own post content?  If you were on the fence how is a second hand account from someone credible like 1 not enough evidence?
A well-trained properly maintained troll, who is not ofed on a regular basis,  grows long white fur and doesn't bite people around him.
To be completely honest, it was fun to argue with MMM at times. It was only when he started talking about child abuse did it go from fun to upsetting and uncomfortable.

I still can't tell exactly what TNG is talking about. You talking about star trek?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 03:00:42 PM

I still can't tell exactly what TNG is talking about. You talking about star trek?

The Next Generation specifically.

kalvado

He touched a very real problem. If you're uncomfortable discussing real but upsetting things...  Well, this is an entertainment forum, proceed to the next thread. But problems are still there for many of us. For example, I have a cousin who is deep in stage 4 right now... It is what it is.   

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on March 30, 2023, 03:24:04 PM
He touched a very real problem. If you're uncomfortable discussing real but upsetting things...  Well, this is an entertainment forum, proceed to the next thread. But problems are still there for many of us. For example, I have a cousin who is deep in stage 4 right now... It is what it is.
It is a real problem, but I did not enjoy reading about it on the forum. I find school shootings to be upsetting, but if I tried to create a thread about the recent one it would be locked within hours. I learned by lesson when I tried posting about the George Floyd protests in Minnesota. Anyway, it wasn't that big of a deal though, although I did let others know that I did not enjoy thinking about it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kalvado

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 03:38:26 PM
It is a real problem, but I did not enjoy reading about it on the forum. I find school shootings to be upsetting, but if I tried to create a thread about the recent one it would be locked within hours. I learned by lesson when I tried posting about the George Floyd protests in Minnesota. Anyway, it wasn't that big of a deal though, although I did let others know that I did not enjoy thinking about it.
Floyd became politically charged pretty quickly, and politics is a great way to destroy any discussion. School shootings can easily become political as well once a certain amendment is brought up.
Kids medical problems are much less political, at least originally...

Dellbeam

If you can cleverly do so, then yeah I suppose that could be an option when dealing with trolls.

paulthemapguy

I should mention that my statement on my position that countertrolling is not the answer, is not an announcement that I will lay dormant and simply welcome trolling.  That wasn't a cue to start trolling me in other threads.  :rofl:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on March 30, 2023, 04:09:01 PM
Floyd became politically charged pretty quickly, and politics is a great way to destroy any discussion. School shootings can easily become political as well once a certain amendment is brought up.
You don't think that child medical problems are political? It gets political real quick... Did you see all of the debates over parents rights lately?

kalvado

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 07:08:01 PM
You don't think that child medical problems are political? It gets political real quick... Did you see all of the debates over parents rights lately?
Less political. Anything can be made political, but child health is much less abstract concept than many issues. It brings Avery real compassion aspect into discussion.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on March 30, 2023, 07:14:17 PM
Less political. Anything can be made political, but child health is much less abstract concept than many issues. It brings Avery real compassion aspect into discussion.

The abstract nature of MMM's posting coupled with his alleged pampered life style didn't lend him much credibility (at least for me) when discussing matters such as the plight of American youth

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2023, 03:11:56 PM

He had a point there.  Everyone remembers the episode where Dr. Crusher read her grandmother's erotic diary and had sex with a psychic ghost candle, right?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on March 30, 2023, 08:21:31 PM

He had a point there.  Everyone remembers the episode where Dr. Crusher read her grandmother's erotic diary and had sex with a psychic ghost candle, right?

The wank-worthiness of that specific content seems lacking.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2023, 08:57:57 PM

Ah, "Sub Rosa".

I saw a review of that episode that compared it to a trashy paperback romance novel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SectorZ

Depends, was Whoopi in the episode?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on March 31, 2023, 08:17:10 AM

Depends, was Whoopi in the episode?

MMM did elude to it being Dr. Crusher oriented.

formulanone

Please stop the "everything is political" schtick for a while. The media of all types and morass of social media simpletons will have you believe everything is a wedge subject to enrage and control thought.

Either talk about the subject or don't talk about it at all, let the mods be that guide; otherwise it's a misguided attempt to shut down conversation you're not prepared for before it even starts.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on March 31, 2023, 09:12:37 AM

Please stop the "everything is political" schtick for a while. The media of all types and morass of social media simpletons will have you believe everything is a wedge subject to enrage and control thought.

Either talk about the subject or don't talk about it at all, let the mods be that guide; otherwise it's a misguided attempt to shut down conversation you're not prepared for before it even starts.

I won't go as far as saying "everything is political," but lots of things are ideological. And some of those things do become political.

Does anyone else get the feeling that MMM is reading this forum as a guest, basking in all the attention he's "posthumously" receiving?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on March 31, 2023, 10:18:38 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that MMM is reading this forum as a guest, basking in all the attention he's "posthumously" receiving?

Everyone is still feeding the troll.

JoePCool14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 31, 2023, 10:32:21 AM

Only if we're talking specifically about him. Which some of us still are for some reason...

Maybe this thread has ran its course.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kalvado

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 31, 2023, 11:28:07 AM

Only if we're talking specifically about him. Which some of us still are for some reason...

Maybe this thread has ran its course.
Or maybe some people got too involved with MMM and not need a series of rabies troll shot?

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 30, 2023, 06:27:26 PM
I should mention that my statement on my position that countertrolling is not the answer, is not an announcement that I will lay dormant and simply welcome trolling.  That wasn't a cue to start trolling me in other threads.  :rofl:

This prompts me to wonder:  for those of you who have been active in other forum environments over the years, and who saw the 'starve the troll' idea in action...  Did it work?  When people stopped engaging the troll, did the trolling actually stop?  Or is this all just a theory so far?

I imagine it would probably work most of the time.  But I also imagine there are probably trolls out there who would keep it up.

Are we feeding the troll, or are we eating him?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2023, 12:20:20 PM

This prompts me to wonder:  for those of you who have been active in other forum environments over the years, and who saw the 'starve the troll' idea in action...  Did it work?  When people stopped engaging the troll, did the trolling actually stop?  Or is this all just a theory so far?

I imagine it would probably work most of the time.  But I also imagine there are probably trolls out there who would keep it up.

Are we feeding the troll, or are we eating him?
Worst antitroll thing I saw is a shadowban....

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2023, 12:20:20 PM

Ignoring Calrog worked as well as could be expected on MTR. Yes, he still pimped his pictures and videos. But if no one replied to any of his stuff, it cut down on his traffic. When it became obvious that correcting him on his use of the term "federal route" served no purpose, the signal-to-noise ratio improved.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2023, 12:20:20 PMThis prompts me to wonder:  for those of you who have been active in other forum environments over the years, and who saw the 'starve the troll' idea in action...  Did it work?  When people stopped engaging the troll, did the trolling actually stop?  Or is this all just a theory so far?

The purest example I can think of dates from the mid-noughties when members of alt.usenet.kook (AUK) briefly invaded MTR, had their fun, and moved on.  We also had what I think must have been a lolcow, describing herself as a doctoral student in psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, who mysteriously had nothing to say and left soon after I suggested she was trolling for her PhD.  So, yes, it can happen, but it does not do so with any frequency, and it is not a strategy that is guaranteed to work since all it takes is one reactive person in the conversation to give the troll his or her food.

Having moderators who can see off trolls is a game-changer, but even then some of the benefits diminish over time because trolls react to moderation by playing to the mods.  This, I think, is the real pitfall of a more aggressive approach to moderation--we could get rid of the more egregious actors in summary fashion, only to find the rest carefully map out just how far they can go without attracting moderator action.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.