News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

WillWeaverRVA

Looks like this photo that I found on Flickr a while ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walksonrocks/2735840756/

And this photo that I actually took:

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

I did not remember CA-266 ended at a *white* Welcome to Nevada sign!  I drove that entire silly loop (NV-266, CA-168, CA-266, NV-264) in 2007.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Hellfighter on July 25, 2009, 11:51:46 PM

there is certainly nothing wrong with that sign.  Surely one must get to ... something ... if they take that right turn!

jake@aaroads.com

Hellfighter

Bickendan

Incorrect BGS on westbound WA 14 entering Washougal, signing for Bus US 14. Saw it and barely missed the photo-op  :banghead:

Crewdawg

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 25, 2009, 06:31:18 PM
This one in Wisconsin made the news in my area (albeit it was probably stock footage from the local station there)

This made the local news in Phoenix

xonhulu

Quote from: Bickendan on July 26, 2009, 03:05:56 AM
Incorrect BGS on westbound WA 14 entering Washougal, signing for Bus US 14. Saw it and barely missed the photo-op  :banghead:

I didn't:

bugo

bugo

Quote from: US71 on July 23, 2009, 02:14:07 PM
Quote from: florida on July 23, 2009, 02:12:40 PM
The black line around (US route) shields is also a South Carolina thing.

Oklahoma does that, too.

Used to.  None of the newer Clearview signs that I have seen use the black outline.

ODOT seems to use different designs for a short time then switch to something completely different.  The black outlines, the prison font signage, etc...hopefully Clearview will be just as short lived.

bugo

Quote from: mightyace on July 23, 2009, 05:49:52 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on July 23, 2009, 02:07:54 PM
I'm not too sure if there's any errors here but is it normal for the font to be different in shields on the same gantry? Also the 1 at the bottom of the left sign seems a little small. And finally the black line around white shields, I guess this is just an Iowa thing.

I noticed that the route signs on the left BGS are much smaller than the ones on the right.  (I guess to squeeze them in.)  Does this happen often?

I'm willing to guess the small shields were added when the silly IA 27 designation was added.  There was room for 2 full sized signs on the right, but not enough room for 3 on the left.  IA 27 is stupid.

City

AASHTO and FHWA should get onto the makers of those erroneous signs.

bugo

Quote from: City on July 26, 2009, 08:17:34 PM

Why would you want this to happen?  The roads would be boring if all signage conformed with the standard.  Would I have stopped to take a picture of that ND 52 error had it been a standard US 52 marker?  I wouldn't have even noticed it.  Errors, non-standard signage and other quirks are what make this hobby fun.  If everything looked the same there would be nothing interesting about roads.

mightyace

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2009, 08:23:31 PM

Why would you want this to happen?  The roads would be boring if all signage conformed with the standard.  Would I have stopped to take a picture of that ND 52 error had it been a standard US 52 marker?  I wouldn't have even noticed it.  Errors, non-standard signage and other quirks are what make this hobby fun.  If everything looked the same there would be nothing interesting about roads.

I agree.  Look at anything that people collect.  What are some of the most valuable stamps, baseball cards, dolls, coins, etc.?  The GOOFS!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

bugo

Quote from: mightyace on July 26, 2009, 08:41:31 PM

I agree.  Look at anything that people collect.  What are some of the most valuable stamps, baseball cards, dolls, coins, etc.?  The GOOFS!

I still feel bad about that pair of OK 82 meatcleavers I inadvertently got removed from US 59 near Sallisaw.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2009, 08:59:37 PM

I still feel bad about that pair of OK 82 meatcleavers I inadvertently got removed from US 59 near Sallisaw.

I once got an erroneous "To Exit #351C" tab on a I-95 BGS removed.  However, they had permanently closed that exit in Jacksonville, FL as part of the I-10/I-95 interchange reconstruction.

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 26, 2009, 01:40:42 AM
I did not remember CA-266 ended at a *white* Welcome to Nevada sign!  I drove that entire silly loop (NV-266, CA-168, CA-266, NV-264) in 2007.

How exactly do you know that sign was on CA-266?

Slightly OT: Also, I didn't think CA 168 was part of that loop, but provided the only California state highway link to CA 266
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

168 came first, several years before 266 did, so it kept its number.  168 has been on that corridor since 1937.  Originally, it went north out of Bishop, but when US-6 came along, it took over that route, so 168 was rerouted.

the image is tagged "CA 266".  I do not know all the CA/NV state lines *that* well!   :sombrero:

jake@aaroads.com

City

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 26, 2009, 10:20:25 PM

I once got an erroneous "To Exit #351C" tab on a I-95 BGS removed.  However, they had permanently closed that exit in Jacksonville, FL as part of the I-10/I-95 interchange reconstruction.

Wow, I didn't think that my thought wouldn't have been taken that way.  :ded:

agentsteel53

Quote from: City on July 27, 2009, 07:04:51 PM

There aren't not a not insufficient quantity of negatives not present in the post that is not this one.

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 27, 2009, 07:08:09 PM
Quote from: City on July 27, 2009, 07:04:51 PM

There aren't not a not insufficient quantity of negatives not present in the post that is not this one.

Dont use no double negatives....

and dont you not dare use no triple negatives....   :-P
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

WillWeaverRVA

VDOT just put up the relevant signage for the connection between Watkins Centre in Chesterfield County with VA 288.

...erm, I mean US 288. There's not even a US 88! :p

Then again, I suppose it could be worse - a lot of locals refer to it as "I-288" in ads.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Chris

QuoteEvery Word Except "Exit" Spelled Wrong on Wisconsin Highway Sign

A sign pointing southbound travelers onto Business Highway 51 in Rothschild and Schofield bears an incorrect spelling for every word except "exit."

David Vieth, director of the bureau of highway operations for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, said the mistake was made by Decker Supply Company of Madison, which printed the sign.

The sign for exit 185 on southbound Highway 51 reads "Buisness 51 Rothschield Schofeild."

"How do I politely say it shows some incompetence on someone's part?"  said Rothschild Village President Neal Torney.

:pan:

thenetwork

Quote from: Chris on July 28, 2009, 06:42:21 AM
QuoteEvery Word Except "Exit" Spelled Wrong on Wisconsin Highway Sign

A sign pointing southbound travelers onto Business Highway 51 in Rothschild and Schofield bears an incorrect spelling for every word except "exit."

David Vieth, director of the bureau of highway operations for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, said the mistake was made by Decker Supply Company of Madison, which printed the sign.

The sign for exit 185 on southbound Highway 51 reads "Buisness 51 Rothschield Schofeild."

"How do I politely say it shows some incompetence on someone's part?"  said Rothschild Village President Neal Torney.

:pan:

And where the heck is the exit arrow?!?!? I'm surprised they didn't use a state shield by mistake.  :banghead:

Marc

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.