News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

QuoteThe upper left corner is a little thinner than the rest of the outline, though.

I'm 92% sure that's an optical illusion

Quillz

On second glance, you could be right.

hbelkins

Quote from: Quillz on January 24, 2011, 02:03:17 AM
Technically an error shield as it's not really shaped properly, but I think it actually looks quite nice:

The upper left corner is a little thinner than the rest of the outline, though.

Given the very wide variety of shield shapes that are out there, and the way they vary not only from state to state but even within a state, is there really such a thing as "not really shaped properly?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on January 24, 2011, 02:37:22 AM
QuoteThe upper left corner is a little thinner than the rest of the outline, though.

I'm 92% sure that's an optical illusion

no, there is indeed a variance in thickness.  the thinnest part of the outline is the arc just below the left point.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: hbelkins on January 24, 2011, 09:35:33 AM
Quote from: Quillz on January 24, 2011, 02:03:17 AM
Technically an error shield as it's not really shaped properly, but I think it actually looks quite nice:

The upper left corner is a little thinner than the rest of the outline, though.

Given the very wide variety of shield shapes that are out there, and the way they vary not only from state to state but even within a state, is there really such a thing as "not really shaped properly?"
I would say yes, because that shield dates to 1965, and didn't follow the 1961 specifications, or even the 1948 specifications, the last one to put the shield against a white background.

OracleUsr

Quote from: Eth on January 23, 2011, 11:10:30 PM
It's near the mall in Gaithersburg.

Ah, okay.  I remember Lakeforest Mall quite fondly.  Didn't remember the errant US 355 sign for Frederick ROad.  Granted it's been 12 years since I lived in Gaithersburg.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

US71

Quote from: Quillz on January 24, 2011, 12:32:43 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 24, 2011, 09:35:33 AM

I would say yes, because that shield dates to 1965, and didn't follow the 1961 specifications, or even the 1948 specifications, the last one to put the shield against a white background.

Shield Generator shows this as a 1955 Alabama variant.

Arkansas used white backgrounds until the mid-60's.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on January 24, 2011, 01:12:06 PM

Shield Generator shows this as a 1955 Alabama variant.

Arkansas used white backgrounds until the mid-60's.

It might be a bit newer or older.  I just know I've seen a fully embossed block-font ALABAMA US 98, and that route came into the state in 1955, so someone, somewhere was making the older spec as late as 1955.  But that new style may have been in use as early as 1945, which is when the Feds first released that font, or likely 1948 when it was first made part of a formal MUTCD specification.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Central Avenue

This one's in Downtown Columbus. That should be OH 3, not US 3!

US 3 in Ohio? by LongestAugust, on Flickr

You can't see it in this picture, but on the opposite corner there is a correct NORTH OH 3 assembly.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Just like in 2004...

(with the alluded Oh 3 shield shown)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

That's a "uni-sign" which I do not recall having previously seen in Ohio. Virginia, yes; Maryland, yes; even in Kentucky, yes, but heretofore never in Ohio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2011, 09:16:07 PM
That's a "uni-sign" which I do not recall having previously seen in Ohio. Virginia, yes; Maryland, yes; even in Kentucky, yes, but heretofore never in Ohio.
They were around Columbus, though not in great numbers, before I left for Louisiana.

(This one was at Main & Front St. and according to my notes, photographed in 2003)
Now we have them around the OSU campus, along 315 near 270 and along 750 through Polaris (From what I've seen. Could be more)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

RoadWarrior56

I was not in position to take a picture of it, but I saw a glaring sign error in South Georgia today.  I was heading south on I-75 just north of the town of Sparks, which is about 30 miles north of Valdosta.

There is a brand new exit sign in the southbound direction onto a small road that actually shows I-75 exiting off the freeway on the BGS.  It might had been intended to be a "Business Loop 75 shield, (there are still a few down there), I am not sure.  But the sign was brand new, being this stretch of interstate is being widened and reconstructed.

If anybody in the area is interested, you may want to get a photo before they fix the error.

Central Avenue

Quote from: Adam Smith on January 25, 2011, 09:31:11 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2011, 09:16:07 PM
They were around Columbus, though not in great numbers, before I left for Louisiana.

(This one was at Main & Front St. and according to my notes, photographed in 2003)
Now we have them around the OSU campus, along 315 near 270 and along 750 through Polaris (From what I've seen. Could be more)

There are a few of those around downtown Columbus as well. Most of them are used as trailblazers (like the WEST I-70 in Adam's photo), but usually without a "TO", which makes it a bit confusing when they're used to indicate an actual turn in the route (like the erroneous US 3 sign above).

I haven't seen this particular style of sign outside Columbus, so I suspect they're the work of the city rather than ODOT.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

rickmastfan67

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on January 27, 2011, 08:40:02 PM
I was not in position to take a picture of it, but I saw a glaring sign error in South Georgia today.  I was heading south on I-75 just north of the town of Sparks, which is about 30 miles north of Valdosta.

There is a brand new exit sign in the southbound direction onto a small road that actually shows I-75 exiting off the freeway on the BGS.  It might had been intended to be a "Business Loop 75 shield, (there are still a few down there), I am not sure.  But the sign was brand new, being this stretch of interstate is being widened and reconstructed.

If anybody in the area is interested, you may want to get a photo before they fix the error.

I heard they did the same think over on I-95 with it's sole Business route.  Somebody posted a picture of it, but I can't remember where.  If I can find that post, I'll edit this and post the link to it.

okroads

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on January 27, 2011, 08:40:02 PM

The I-75 error has been there since at least December 2008:

RoadWarrior56

After two years, it is still there?  I looked at the interchange in Street View and it shows the old sign, which was a green business loop shield.  I will refrain any comments about GDOT since I do work from them. 

cjk374

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on January 28, 2011, 12:14:22 PM
I will refrain any comments about GDOT since I do work from them. 

Doesn't this make you the MOST qualified to comment about it?   :sombrero:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mefailenglish

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 27, 2011, 10:21:42 PM
I heard they did the same think over on I-95 with it's sole Business route.  Somebody posted a picture of it, but I can't remember where.  If I can find that post, I'll edit this and post the link to it.

Here?

Quillz

Another sign that isn't really an error at all but just looks wrong:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This particular one is on I-8, at the CA-98 junction. It just looks weird having the arrow to the left of the exit number. Seems like it should be reversed.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mefailenglish on January 28, 2011, 06:36:59 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 27, 2011, 10:21:42 PM

Here?

Yes, that's the one.  Thanks for posting that link.  Hopefully when I go to FL next, I can see if it's been replaced.  Otherwise, I'm going to bitch to GDOT. :sombrero:

Ian

Here is my photo of that sign:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

And the 95 is so large, too.

Do Georgia signs normally omit the tittle on the I, or is that something particular to this sign?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 29, 2011, 09:29:39 PM
Do Georgia signs normally omit the tittle on the I, or is that something particular to this sign?

It's an old GDOT standard to omit the dots on the i's and j's.
Youtube l Flickr

Ian

Here are a few from yesterday...

Error NJ 1&9 shields in Jersey City:

Upside down signal ahead sign along US 1-9 at the Tonnele Circle project:
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.