News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

QuoteMarch 2, 2018
Challenge: Post road photos showing uncharacteristic weather conditions for the area.

Rainy in Phoenix, sunny in Seattle, snow in New Orleans, hurricane in Denver...you get the idea!

oscar

QuoteMarch 2, 2018
Challenge: Post road photos showing uncharacteristic weather conditions for the area.

I lucked into a sunny day on my 2007 visit to the usually dreary Unalaska AK (the postcard Alaska weather summary labels the Aleutians "always shitty"). This photo is of the west end of Captains Bay Road, westernmost road in Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, and by virtue of the Alaska Marine Highway auto ferry link between Dutch Harbor and mainland Alaska, the westernmost point on the continuous North American highway system.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jwolfer

Quote from: oscar on March 02, 2018, 11:28:05 AM
QuoteMarch 2, 2018

I lucked into a sunny day on my 2007 visit to the usually dreary Unalaska AK (the postcard Alaska weather summary labels the Aleutians "always shitty"). This photo is of the west end of Captains Bay Road, westernmost road in Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, and by virtue of the Alaska Marine Highway auto ferry link between Dutch Harbor and mainland Alaska, the westernmost point on the continuous North American highway system.

Soon to have bridges and full interstate highway to Russia.  Unalaska could ha c e an exit with a few gas stations and restaurants, maybe even a truck stop.. at least in FritzOwl world

Z981

paulthemapguy

QuoteMarch 2, 2018

See my car there in the background?  I walked from that spot back to this end marker on IL-155 in a t-shirt, and didn't pay any mind to it.  In fact, I was WARM walking outside--it was 77 degrees.  Now click on the link below the photo and see the date on which it was taken.  November 17, 2013.  The day of a freak warm spell and an even freakier tornado outbreak decimating Washington, Illinois.  This trip was entirely impromptu because of the bizarre temperatures in the 70s over the weekend.  With such nice weather, I ought to drive to Chester, IL to see the ghost town of Kaskaskia, I figured.  I didn't predict how terrible the severe weather would be across the state, though.  This is just one example of a whole slew of sign photos I took in southwestern Illinois that day.

IL-155-WT by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 02, 2018, 04:59:23 PM
See my car there in the background?  I walked from that spot back to this end marker on IL-155 in a t-shirt, and didn't pay any mind to it.  In fact, I was WARM walking outside--it was 77 degrees.  Now click on the link below the photo and see the date on which it was taken.  November 17, 2013.  The day of a freak warm spell and an even freakier tornado outbreak decimating Washington, Illinois.  This trip was entirely impromptu because of the bizarre temperatures in the 70s over the weekend.  With such nice weather, I ought to drive to Chester, IL to see the ghost town of Kaskaskia, I figured.  I didn't predict how terrible the severe weather would be across the state, though.  This is just one example of a whole slew of sign photos I took in southwestern Illinois that day.

Warm weather late in the year tends to lead toward severe weather like that; when that unusually warm, moist air mass collides with a more seasonal cold air mass = storms. I love that picture too–the END sign complements the foreboding clouds in the background.

adventurernumber1

March 3rd, 2018 Challenge => Post pictures of roads or highways that also contain cell towers:

This is from off of Interstate 20 Eastbound just east of its interchange with I-75/I-85 in downtown Atlanta, Georgia:

This is from off of Interstate 20 Eastbound in South Carolina about halfway from Augusta, GA to Lexington, SC:

This is from off of the newly widened stretch of Interstate 26 south of Columbia, South Carolina (heading Eastbound):

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: empirestate on March 02, 2018, 11:10:18 AM
QuoteMarch 2, 2018

Rainy in Phoenix, sunny in Seattle, snow in New Orleans, hurricane in Denver…you get the idea!

Portland is cloudy like Seattle (although not as much), quickly found one in Kelso, WA:

Edit posting time: 9:05pm local time
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

adventurernumber1

And now I present you with some more pictures, since I have so many of these things:  :-D  :D

March 3rd, 2018 Challenge => Post pictures of roads or highways that also contain cell towers:

This is on Interstate 26 Eastbound in South Carolina, at what I believe is the Weigh Station just east of I-95 and US 15:

This is from off of Interstate 20 Eastbound in South Carolina somewhere between Augusta, GA and Columbia, SC:

This is from off of I-26 East in Columbia, South Carolina going under the interchange with Interstate 77:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

paulthemapguy

If we run out of ideas for daily challenges, we can just create challenges where you have to satisfy multiple conditions!!

March 4, 2018.  Post a picture where you can see a yellow arrow on a signal, AND there isn't a cloud in the sky.

IMG_1262 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

MNHighwayMan

March 4th, 2018: A picture where you can see a yellow arrow on a signal, AND there isn't a cloud in the sky.

I surprised myself by being able to actually find one that I took. Looking south, intersection of 2nd Ave and Euclid Ave (IA-415 and US-6, respectively), Des Moines, IA.

US71

March 4th, 2018: A picture where you can see a yellow arrow on a signal, AND there isn't a cloud in the sky.

Liberty, MO
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Big John

^^ That's a strange signal setup to the left.  Howis it supposed to behave.

US71

Quote from: Big John on March 04, 2018, 10:25:19 PM
^^ That's a strange signal setup to the left.  Howis it supposed to behave.

Steady Red
Straight Green Arrow/ Straight Yellow Arrow
Left Green Arrow/ Left Yellow Arrow

Big John

OK, this is why a bimodal straight ahead signal is odd:

MUTCD 4D.05

09 A straight-through RED ARROW signal indication or a straight-through YELLOW ARROW signal indication shall not be displayed on any signal face, either alone or in combination with any other signal indication.

empirestate

QuoteMarch 5, 2018
Challenge: Post a sign that completes the sentence "In Soviet Russia..."

iPhone

JasonOfORoads

QuoteMarch 6, 2018: Post examples of keming on highway signs.

Hopefully this hasn't already been done.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

empirestate

QuoteMarch 7, 2018
Challenge: Post photos from southeastern Europe and the Balkan peninsula.

Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania and the countries formerly part of Yugoslavia. Feel free to throw in Moldova and the European part of Turkey as well. :-)

(Also note, the March 6th Challenge remains open, pending a qualifying submission.)

US71

Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 10:17:43 AM

(Also note, the March 6th Challenge remains open, pending a qualifying submission.)

Strictly my opinion, but if there are no submissions,  then just move on. We can always revisit the challenge at the end of the month.  YMMV

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 11:38:17 AM

Strictly my opinion, but if there are no submissions,  then just move on. We can always revisit the challenge at the end of the month.  YMMV

If any state is going to have a keming example, it's going to be Oklahoma.

MNHighwayMan

I'm just going to +1 that opinion.

empirestate

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 07, 2018, 12:41:18 PM

That's fine, but...if you want to just move on, why mention this every time it comes up? Why not just, you know...move on?

US71

Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 01:56:58 PM

That's fine, but...if you want to just move on, why mention this every time it comes up? Why not just, you know...move on?

Instead of saying "this challenge is still open" ?   :-|  :spin:

empirestate

Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 02:00:34 PM

No, not instead of that, because it's me that writes that, not you. Does it bother you that I do?

US71

Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 02:35:55 PM

No, not instead of that, because it's me that writes that, not you. Does it bother you that I do?

Does it bother you if someone else does it besides you?   :hmmm: :hmmm:

empirestate

Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 02:41:55 PM
Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 02:35:55 PM

Does it bother you if someone else does it besides you?   :hmmm: :hmmm:

No, not at all. It is how the game works, after all; why would it bother me?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.