News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do sign colors differ from states the don't use the national MUTCD?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 11, 2017, 12:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

For lesser used or seen signage such as incident management and others. Has anyone seen any different retroreflective (or nonretrorelfective) colors used?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Pink Jazz

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 11, 2017, 12:35:15 PM
For lesser used or seen signage such as incident management and others. Has anyone seen any different retroreflective (or nonretrorelfective) colors used?

Are you referring to the hue, or what colors can be used for the application?

I am not sure if the FHWA allows states to deviate on color in state MUTCDs, however, I know that state MUTCDs or state supplements can be stricter than the national MUTCD on what colors can be used.  I do know that Minnesota's state MUTCD did not initially approve Fluorescent Pink as an alternative to Orange or Fluorescent Orange for incident management signs; it wasn't adopted until much later.

Similarly, Virginia's state supplement specifically requires FYG for Pedestrian, Bicycle, and Playground signs, even though it is only optional in the national MUTCD.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 11, 2017, 02:52:16 PM

I am not sure if the FHWA allows states to deviate on color in state MUTCDs, however, I know that state MUTCDs or state supplements can be stricter than the national MUTCD on what colors can be used.  I do know that Minnesota's state MUTCD did not initially approve Fluorescent Pink as an alternative to Orange or Fluorescent Orange for incident management signs; it wasn't adopted until much later.

Similarly, Virginia's state supplement specifically requires FYG for Pedestrian, Bicycle, and Playground signs, even though it is only optional in the national MUTCD.
Ok, I wasn't sure, since I live in Arkansas (a MUTCD state). I guess in places that don't use the MUTCD there isn't much difference, correct? If signage dosen't differ too much, then why would there be need for deviation from the national MUTCD?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Pink Jazz

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 11, 2017, 03:11:59 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 11, 2017, 02:52:16 PM

Ok, I wasn't sure, since I live in Arkansas (a MUTCD state). I guess in places that don't use the MUTCD there isn't much difference, correct? If signage dosen't differ too much, then why would there be need for deviation from the national MUTCD?

Remember that a state MUTCD or a state supplement has to be in substantial compliance with the national MUTCD, and allows some flexibility on what states can and cannot do.  Sign color as far as I know is not something that states can deviate on, although if the national MUTCD allows optional use of certain colors, a state MUTCD or state supplement can mandate or prohibit its use.

bzakharin

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've seen variations of "Pay toll ahead" in three different color schemes on the same highway (Atlantic City Expressway in New Jersey), black on brown, black on yellow, and white on blue. I've also seen white on blue auxiliary "TOLL" signs on top of the I-95 shield on assemblies in Maryland.

Pink Jazz

Also, don't some states specifically require street name signs to be green, even though the national MUTCD allows blue, brown, or white as alternative background colors?

Bitmapped

Quote from: bzakharin on September 11, 2017, 03:51:56 PM
I've also seen white on blue auxiliary "TOLL" signs on top of the I-95 shield on assemblies in Maryland.

I think it's only fairly recently that the "TOLL" signs have been standardized at black-on-yellow. In the past, I believe the general practice was to match the shield. WV has some blue-on-white for the WV Turnpike and some black-on-white for WV 43, which was at one point to be tolled.

Scott5114

All 50 states have to comply with the national MUTCD or they don't get FHWA funding. If they don't use the national MUTCD, they have a state MUTCD that, in most cases, includes stricter standards than the national one does (such as establishing which standard is to be used when option statements are given, specifying things like legend layout that the national MUTCD glosses over, naming which routes and cities certain practices apply to, etc.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.