News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How Weather Affects Your Bowels

Started by Brian556, November 15, 2019, 02:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

During the summer, I have frequent diarrhea. I have little to no solid movements. I cannot make it through a shift at work without going #2. I always have to go about 20 minutes after lunch

However....
Now that the weather has turned cold, I go #2 much less frequently. I have a lot of solid movements. I can make it through some shifts at work without going #2.

Do any of y'all notice seasonal differences in you bowels?

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 15, 2019, 03:45:02 PM
I think you're responding to me, but in the wrong thread.

But I get it!  I read the other post already...

As for me, I probably have loose bowels more often in the winter because the types of tea I drink more often in the cold weather tend to have that effect.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: Brian556 on November 15, 2019, 02:53:29 PM
During the summer, I have frequent diarrhea. I have little to no solid movements. I cannot make it through a shift at work without going #2. I always have to go about 20 minutes after lunch

However....
Now that the weather has turned cold, I go #2 much less frequently. I have a lot of solid movements. I can make it through some shifts at work without going #2.

Do any of y'all notice seasonal differences in you bowels?

Checks author.

Sees it's not Tim.

Wonders if Tim has a clone who's posting here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ozarkman417

No, but I had a middle school classmate with dwarfism who claimed to have joint pain when a major thunderstorm was approaching.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on November 15, 2019, 05:12:17 PM
Checks author.

Sees it's not Tim.

Nah, Tim doesn't post pictures of poo. This guy does.  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US 89

Quote from: cl94 on November 15, 2019, 09:26:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 15, 2019, 05:12:17 PM
Checks author.

Sees it's not Tim.

Nah, Tim doesn't post pictures of poo. This guy does.  :-D

Or at least did, before they were removed

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

J N Winkler

I stick to two daily diet rules year-round:  at least five servings from at least three different vegetables (none of which is potato), and at least 100% of the fiber RDA.  I normally move my bowels just once a day, and stools are easy to pass over 95% of the time.  However, when I have difficulty, I think it is marginally more likely to happen in the summer, because heat promotes dehydration and that in turn can lead to overextraction of water from the stool.  This is offset to some extent by taking magnesium oxide tablets (which tend to increase stool water content) more often in the summer to replace minerals lost in sweat.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Can't say I've had this problem, sounds shitty. 

But that said my wife (who is an IBS diagnosed) does have more issues in hot weather for some reason.  I haven't seen a dietary reason that would vary from season to season so there might be causality with the temperature somehow?

hbelkins

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 15, 2019, 05:38:56 PM
No, but I had a middle school classmate with dwarfism who claimed to have joint pain when a major thunderstorm was approaching.

There are a whole lot of folks whose aches and pains increase just prior to a cold front or approaching rain. My wife's one of them.

GaryV

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 16, 2019, 12:31:03 PM

But that said my wife (who is an IBS diagnosed) does have more issues in hot weather for some reason.  I haven't seen a dietary reason that would vary from season to season so there might be causality with the temperature somehow?

Everyone knows gas expands when it gets warmer.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

On a related note, they may be considering a treatment for IBS that involves a transplant of healthy bowel bacteria.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

hbelkins

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on November 16, 2019, 07:51:14 PM

On a related note, they may be considering a treatment for IBS that involves a transplant of healthy bowel bacteria.

Wasn't there a thread here about people shoving other peoples' feces up their rectums as a treatment for something?

ozarkman417

Quote from: hbelkins on November 17, 2019, 04:50:51 PM

Wasn't there a thread here about people shoving other peoples' feces up their rectums as a treatment for something?
Quote from: Brian556 on September 22, 2019, 01:06:33 AM
Possible cure or symptom reduction:

One of the side effects of Asperger's is that you always have diarrhea. Because of this, they believe that Asperger's is related to gut bacteria. There is this new treatment where they shove somebody else's shit up your ass in order to give you the proper gut bacteria.

I would be very hesitant to get this. I would be afraid of it taking away the good parts of Asperger's, including my interests.

Max Rockatansky

Even if that worked I'd much rather suffered from IBS than have to suffer the indignity of methods like that. 

bandit957

I remember hearing about some celebrity (it might have been Kenny Loggins) who kept giving themselves Coca-Cola enemas.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 17, 2019, 04:53:34 PM

Quote from: Brian556 on September 22, 2019, 01:06:33 AM
Possible cure or symptom reduction:

One of the side effects of Asperger's is that you always have diarrhea. Because of this, they believe that Asperger's is related to gut bacteria. There is this new treatment where they shove somebody else's shit up your ass in order to give you the proper gut bacteria.

I would be very hesitant to get this. I would be afraid of it taking away the good parts of Asperger's, including my interests.

And how would that cure Aspergers now much less be the cause?  Sounds like some bull shit to me. 

Found an NBCnews article on the topic of fecal transplants.  Looks like there might be some causality that it "could"  be a medical treatment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fecal-transplants-could-ease-ibs-symptoms-if-they-come-super-n1068646

J N Winkler

Fecal transplants are actually now under consideration as a treatment for many diseases, owing to our ever-improving understanding of the gut-brain axis.  However, at the moment they are routinely available in the US only for treatment of Clostridium difficile--everything else requires participation in a clinical study.

There have been reports of people giving themselves DIY fecal transplants, which is fairly straightforward (requires just a donor stool that is puréed with saline solution and loaded in an enema syringe for insertion through the anus), but this is considered medically inadvisable because a stool from an unscreened healthy person can easily harbor microorganisms, such as rotavirus, that cause infections in the recipient.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to worry about dignity when dealing with gastrointestinal issues in a clinical setting.  It is hard to think of a colonoscopy as dignified, for example, but it is a fairly essential diagnostic procedure.

To an extent, your weight is mediated by your gut bacteria--this is part of the reason I treat the fiber RDA as a floor and try to maintain nutrient diversity.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

PHLBOS

Oldie but a goodie from the Mighty Carson Art Players (pardon the grainy quality):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRSLRn0MHAU
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on November 16, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Everyone knows gas expands when it gets warmer.

Does your body temperature tend to go up during the summer?  Mine doesn't.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Quote from: Brian556A picture speaks a thousand words.

Have any pictures of how weather affects things?  :-D :-D :-D  :popcorn:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on November 17, 2019, 04:55:23 PM

I remember hearing about some celebrity (it might have been Kenny Loggins) who kept giving themselves Coca-Cola enemas.

That gives a new meaning to "Danger Zone"

Brian556

Quote from: SectorZ on November 18, 2019, 08:53:49 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on November 17, 2019, 04:55:23 PM

That gives a new meaning to "Danger Zone"

:-D :-D :-D :clap: :clap: :clap:  Sounds like Mr Loggins was trying to put some Coke in to get a log out

bandit957

Quote from: Brian556 on November 18, 2019, 09:06:15 PM
:-D :-D :-D :clap: :clap: :clap:  Sounds like Mr Loggins was trying to put some Coke in to get a log out

And once he got the log out, he said, "I'm free!"
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.