News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Left lane blockers becoming standard on our highways

Started by Crash_It, June 27, 2021, 04:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: kphoger on July 13, 2021, 04:53:39 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 13, 2021, 04:51:39 PM
It used to be pretty heavily discouraged in driver-education materials, so people may think that was done because it's actually illegal and not just bad form. Also, I think it actually is illegal in Germany and the United Kingdom, and perhaps some other places.

I'd bet money that passing on the right is perfectly legal in the UK.

Tennessee Law Passing on the Right
TN Code § 55-8-118 (2019)
(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two (2) or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction; and

(3) Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one (1) direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two (2) or more lines of moving vehicles.

(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting that movement in safety. In no event shall the movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

(c) When overtaking or passing upon the right of another motor vehicle pursuant to this section or other law, the person shall not operate the motor vehicle within a bicycle lane as defined in § 55-8-205.

(d)

(1) Notwithstanding this section, the driver of a bus operated by or for a publicly owned transit agency may overtake and pass a vehicle upon the right when operating on the shoulder or right-of-way of any highway on the state system of highways, including interstate highways, when authorized by the department of transportation. Except for authorized emergency vehicles, the operation of a vehicle on the shoulder or right-of-way of a state highway other than a bus authorized by the department is an offense punishable as a Class C misdemeanor.

(2) The department is authorized to promulgate rules in accordance with the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act, compiled in title 4, chapter 5, to effectuate the purposes of subdivision (d)(1), including establishing procedures for authorizing the operation of a bus on the shoulder or right-of-way and regulations for ensuring the safety of passengers on a bus and in vehicles operating on the main traveled way of the adjacent highway or right-of-way, such as establishing a maximum speed limit of a bus, limiting the use of the shoulder or right-of-way during peak traffic periods, and installing signs indicating the shoulder or right-of-way is reserved for exclusive use by a bus.

(3) As used in this subsection (d), "bus"  does not include a school bus.

(4) The department may take any action to obtain federal, state, or local assistance for any aspect of implementation of a program to allow a bus to utilize the shoulder or right-of-way of a state highway as provided in subdivision (d)(1); provided, that any funds used for the purposes of this subsection (d) shall be specifically appropriated by reference in the general appropriations act.

kphoger

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 14, 2021, 02:21:58 PM

It used to be pretty heavily discouraged in driver-education materials, so people may think that was done because it's actually illegal and not just bad form. Also, I think it actually is illegal in Germany and the United Kingdom, and perhaps some other places.

[...]

What does that have to do with the UK?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 02:28:16 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 14, 2021, 02:21:58 PM

[...]

What does that have to do with the UK?

It looks like a quoted the wrong post.

jakeroot

For the record, WA law requires drivers to keep right at all times unless passing, turning left, or allowing traffic to merge from an on-ramp. No exception for undivided roads (expectation is that you use the right lane until shortly before you turn).

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on July 14, 2021, 02:43:57 PM
For the record, WA law requires drivers to keep right at all times unless passing, turning left, or allowing traffic to merge from an on-ramp. No exception for undivided roads (expectation is that you use the right lane until shortly before you turn).

Correct.  RCW 46.61.100(2) applies "upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction", and RCW 46.61.100(4) states that "it is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

I drive home in rush hour on I-35 and trucks are not even allowed in the left lane (yes you see a few anyway) but the left lane ALWAYS moves slower, even with people merging into the right lane.  I just don't get it unless the scared draft just want to be away from merging traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: seicer on July 14, 2021, 01:57:00 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on July 14, 2021, 01:39:12 PM
Quote from: seicer on July 13, 2021, 04:10:46 PM
Or you could just get behind the left-turning vehicle and flash your lights and honk your horn ex'cessively because they are blocking the lane ;)

If that driver planning to turn left is going slow (more than 5 under the speed limit) in tandem with the driver in the right lane.. Then yes, he is blocking the lane and impeding the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and should either speed up to allow for that right lane driver to be passed or move out of the lane and not return until the last 0.12miles before the turn.

Hate to tell you this, but keep right except to pass laws don't apply on uncontrolled highways (i.e. anything that's not an interstate or freeway without intersections).

Your videos prove to be good evidence of what not to do.

That depends on the state. In some states, it applies to any roadway with 2+ lanes in one direction.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2021, 04:40:24 PM
That depends on the state. In some states, it applies to any roadway with 2+ lanes in one direction.

In the state Cra_shIt lives in, it only applies to controlled-access highways.
Male pronouns, please.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 04:51:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2021, 04:40:24 PM

In the state Cra_shIt lives in, it only applies to controlled-access highways.

In that video, that section of US45 does turn to controlled access , so that law would in fact apply. AND, I just learned this today. Some municipalities and counties within Illinois also have their own ordinances regarding traffic and under the Cook County Ordinance code since this video takes place there.. it says this about the left lane...

Sec. 82-34. - Driving on right side of roadway.
(a)All vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway:(1)When proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing

So, yes...it is illegal to drive under the speed limit in the left lane.

dlsterner

Quote from: Crash_It on July 14, 2021, 10:44:06 PM
(a)All vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway:(1)When proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing

Somehow you are twisting "normal speed of traffic" and "conditions then existing" into "the speed limit".  They are not necessarily the same.

kphoger

Quote from: dlsterner on July 15, 2021, 12:23:57 AM

Somehow you are twisting "normal speed of traffic" and "conditions then existing" into "the speed limit".  They are not necessarily the same.

I don't even remember what video we're referring to anymore, but I do note that it doesn't say the "prevailing speed of traffic".  I imagine the "normal speed of traffic" would legally include quite a range of speeds, such that a driver would have to really stick out in order to be violating the law.

AND, I just learned this today. Some municipalities and counties within Illinois also have their own ordinances regarding traffic ...

Seriously, you just learned that NOW?  Did you really not know that each town has its own municipal code?  Wow...
Male pronouns, please.

Crash_It

It makes zero sense whatsoever to drive under the speed limit in tandem or nearly in tandem to the person next to you and that's what the law is alluding to as well as the don't impede traffic law.

Max Rockatansky

It makes zero sense whatever for Cra_shIt to post videos of his poor driving habits or be on this forum, but here we are. 

dlsterner

Quote from: Crash_It on July 15, 2021, 03:20:50 PM

It makes zero sense whatsoever to drive under the speed limit in tandem or nearly in tandem to the person next to you and that's what the law is alluding to as well as the don't impede traffic law.
No.  Consider a four lane arterial posted at 50 mph.  Due to rush hour and a raging thunderstorm, traffic in both lanes is moving at 30 mph, stop and go.  How is anybody doing anything illegal here?

Crash_It

Quote from: dlsterner on July 15, 2021, 05:05:55 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on July 15, 2021, 03:20:50 PM

No.  Consider a four lane arterial posted at 50 mph.  Due to rush hour and a raging thunderstorm, traffic in both lanes is moving at 30 mph, stop and go.  How is anybody doing anything illegal here?

You've mentioned a situation that is already exempt from those laws. I'm talking about dry conditions and already light traffic. It's not legal and makes no sense. However, now that we are on this topic.. I have seen miniature traffic jams that were caused by slow drivers being in lanes they weren't supposed to.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on July 16, 2021, 11:29:40 AM
I have seen miniature traffic jams that were caused by slow drivers being in lanes they weren't supposed to.

Kind of like how, just because the middle lane is exempted from your area's KRETP law, you think being a slower driver in the middle lane does nothing to augment traffic congestion?
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Yeah stuff like that happens but it's not your job to tell other people how to drive. If you don't like how someone is driving you should pass them and move on. Not everyone is going to the same place and you might be the only one going to your destination. Why do people feel like it's their duty to tell other people what to do?

Flint1979

And yes the traffic that is moving slower should keep to the right and let faster traffic move but what are you gonna do about it? You can't control what other people do.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on July 20, 2021, 03:35:32 PM
But Cra_shIt thinks he can.
Would love to see Cra_shit go apeshit driving on the Ford Freeway in Detroit.

renegade

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2021, 04:31:18 PM
Or the Lodge.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jakeroot

^^^
is that a dig at Detroit or a dig at Cra_shIt?

Flint1979

Flint1979

Brandon

Quote from: renegade on July 20, 2021, 08:47:47 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2021, 04:31:18 PM
Or the Lodge.

Shit, Detroiters would just run his ass off the freeway, and have fun doing it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.