News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic Signals installed that have never been activated

Started by roadman65, August 24, 2014, 01:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In Orlando there are some signals that are installed along future intersections where the developer purchases the signal (either all its parts or at least the controller and wiring) and the signals remain either in flash mode or dormant for years.  We had one on Turkey Lake Road at where the current Cabana Bay Resort is where Universal paid for the typical Florida concrete strain poles, overhead wiring and signal sockets, crosswalk heads, and a control box, but no signal heads in anticipation for future expansion back in 1990.  Now, since most of Orlando is installing mast arms, when Universal opened their latest resort, they replaced it with a mast arm assembly.  It did, though, operate briefly during the Islands of Adventure Expansion in 1998 for construction workers to use, but then the heads were left and the signal turned to flash mode.

Then along Osceola Parkway in nearby Kissimmee you have four signals installed when both the Osceola Parkway and FL 417 Freeway were opened to traffic.   These signals were operational for a month before Osceola County decided the signals were not warranted.  Then after for over a decade and a half these signals are flashing awaiting for the traffic counts to increase or a series of fatal accidents to occur before they spend thousands of dollars on a study to see if they need to be reactivated.  Also because these signals are not proper signals anymore STOP signs are installed where the lights flash red on the FL 417 Exit 3 ramps to Osceola Parkway and on the Poinciana Boulevard ramps to and from the parkway.  The MUTCD does not allow red flashers as the sole traffic control device and even seasonal signals in many shore regions are required to install STOP signs during the long winter months as well.

On Innovention Way in Orlando where it ends temporarily at FL 417 there is a flashing signal there at the NB 417 on and off ramps awaiting for the road to be extended.

Any of these  type ofsignals that you know about that are for future use that are already installed awaiting its need, but not yet operational.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Most of the time in Nevada, a developer may be required to dedicate right of way for future traffic signal, install the initial vertical mast pole, and/or do preliminary underground wiring for a future signal. However, the developer doesn't usually do more than that unless the governing agency requires the full signal be activated concurrent with the completion of construction.

More often than not, a developer will not put in the infrastructure, instead paying a development impact fee set by the governing agency. These fees are dedicated to funding future transportation improvements, such as signals, when traffic volumes and patterns warrant them.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

New York will occasionally install sensors and other wiring at the possible location of a future traffic signal. One such location is US 20 at Leydecker Road in West Seneca. The small square sensors New York loved to use until the mid-2000s are embedded in the asphalt, likely dating to when that section was given a center turn lane at some point between 2002 and 2006. I've seen cases in multiple states where poles went up years before anything was hung, but never a full signal assembly.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

There were some here in Huntsville like that at the intersection of Blanda Drive and Whitesburg Drive. They were removed a little while after the ones at Memorial Parkway and Whitesburg Drive were activated, IIRC. All that's left is a pair of span wires with loops where there were signals.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

These particular signals along MacDade Blvd. have been on flash mode ever since they were erected in the mid-to-late 80s (before I-476 north of there opened in 1991).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The High Plains Traveler

A few around Pueblo, CO, near commercial developments that haven't fully built out. One near my local Walmart was turned on for a while then put on perma-flash.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

The risk I could see with a traffic light that's installed and uncovered but isn't operative is the potential for some people to assume it's a broken traffic light that should be treated as an all-way stop while other people don't slow down because either (a) they know it's non-functional or (b) they think it's broken but they feel the "all-way stop" law doesn't apply to them (which is a common problem here whenever lights are knocked out by a power failure or a bad storm).

The example Brandon posted shows a good solution to that problem because the signal heads are all covered up so there can be no ambiguity.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

andrewkbrown

Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

spooky

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 25, 2014, 12:31:03 PM
The risk I could see with a traffic light that's installed and uncovered but isn't operative is the potential for some people to assume it's a broken traffic light that should be treated as an all-way stop while other people don't slow down because either (a) they know it's non-functional or (b) they think it's broken but they feel the "all-way stop" law doesn't apply to them (which is a common problem here whenever lights are knocked out by a power failure or a bad storm).

The example Brandon posted shows a good solution to that problem because the signal heads are all covered up so there can be no ambiguity.

This is why the MUTCD requires non-operational signals to be covered, turned or taken down.

hm insulators

If we're including freeway ramp-meter signals, some were installed along Arizona 51 at various onramps a year or so back, but they're not activated and are covered with burlap.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

PHLBOS

Quote from: hm insulators on August 26, 2014, 04:14:14 PM
If we're including freeway ramp-meter signals, some were installed along Arizona 51 at various onramps a year or so back, but they're not activated and are covered with burlap.
Many of the ramp meter signals along I-476 in PA have never been turned on; especially the ones at the Ridge Pike interchange (Exit 18, onto I-476 South).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: andrewkbrown on August 26, 2014, 01:43:35 PM
I have no idea if these have ever been activated, or if this is a planned future intersection or a past decommissioned intersection.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.909233,-76.976845&spn=0.00119,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.909148,-76.977418&panoid=-KfUgYdJ4HlIXev-AyYWZA&cbp=12,31.73,,0,-3.95

Even the right turn lane directly into a fence still exists!  And judging by the barricade there...it did surprise at least someone.

Pete from Boston

This sounds like a phenomenon of states with scads of open land ripe for development.  Up here we don't see a lot of the plats of streets in wide-open fields (something I've seen a lot of in the Midwest, for example) where I suspect this more often occurs.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 27, 2014, 04:45:17 PM
This sounds like a phenomenon of states with scads of open land ripe for development.  Up here we don't see a lot of the plats of streets in wide-open fields (something I've seen a lot of in the Midwest, for example) where I suspect this more often occurs.

I've seen it around Columbus. City is rapidly expanding into the surrounding farmland and they're just building infrastructure all at once to avoid having to add later and disrupt a populated area.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mrsman

I think it's a good idea to force developers to pay for the infrastructure for a new traffic signal.  But at the same time, it's wasteful to run the electricity of these signals before they are warranted by traffic.  So the signals should be covered until the houses in the development are occupied.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 27, 2014, 01:42:05 PM
I have no idea if these have ever been activated, or if this is a planned future intersection or a past decommissioned intersection.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.909233,-76.976845&spn=0.00119,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.909148,-76.977418&panoid=-KfUgYdJ4HlIXev-AyYWZA&cbp=12,31.73,,0,-3.95

Even the right turn lane directly into a fence still exists!  And judging by the barricade there...it did surprise at least someone.

Where is the second southern-facing signal head? I only see the one close to the aforementioned wrong turn.

EDIT: The signal was installed in 2004-2005, but I can't figure out why. The road points directly at a hill. Were they going to build a tunnel and connect the road all the way to Nannie Helen Burroughs Ave near the 295?

mrsman

Quote from: jake on August 27, 2014, 10:11:09 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 27, 2014, 01:42:05 PM

Where is the second southern-facing signal head? I only see the one close to the aforementioned wrong turn.

EDIT: The signal was installed in 2004-2005, but I can't figure out why. The road points directly at a hill. Were they going to build a tunnel and connect the road all the way to Nannie Helen Burroughs Ave near the 295?

This is right outside the Arboretum, so I think they probably expected a new entrance/exit of the Arboretum to be placed here.  But it never came to be.

Look, this was supposed to be a major intersection with left turn arrows.  Yet it was never constructed.  And the current entrance to the Arboretum is at R Street. Yet, there is no signal at the corner of Bladensburg and R Street, making a left turn from the Arboretum to Bladensburg difficult.

MillTheRoadgeek

It is new (only has been up for about a year), but a signal at VA 28 (Center St), Prescott Ave. and Zebedee St. has a signal installed with the Olde Towne Square development which is still wrapped in black.

jakeroot

A signal at the end of an off-ramp from I-705/I-5 near Tacoma was, I presume, installed for the Tacoma Dome nearby (in case of heavy traffic), but I've never seen them activated. The road that the ramp intersects is a priority road; as expected, the signal flashes amber in those directions:

busman_49

Medina Rd (Ohio 18) and Portside Dr has had a signal up since at least the early 2000s that has been in flash mode ever since.  18 was widened through that area a while back and the signals were left alone; all the other signals on that stretch of 18 from I-77 all the way to Medina were upgraded to Ohio's new spec (all black with yellow-bordered backplates) except, as streetview from last year shows, these signals.
http://goo.gl/maps/PevNs

RG407

Quote from: spooky on August 26, 2014, 03:05:46 PM

This is why the MUTCD requires non-operational signals to be covered, turned or taken down.

The problem with covering the signals is the plastic or burlap coverings could eventually come off if they are left in place for a long time.  In my opinion, if the signals are not going to be operational for an extended or undetermined period of time they should be turned or, better yet, never installed in the first place.

RG407

Quote from: jake on September 04, 2014, 09:21:45 PM
A signal at the end of an off-ramp from I-705/I-5 near Tacoma was, I presume, installed for the Tacoma Dome nearby (in case of heavy traffic), but I've never seen them activated. The road that the ramp intersects is a priority road; as expected, the signal flashes amber in those directions:

Do the signals for the off-ramp flash red?

It would appear if the signals were ever activated the stop signs would need to be covered so they didn't conflict with the signals.

jakeroot

Quote from: RG407 on September 07, 2014, 11:05:33 PM
Quote from: jake on September 04, 2014, 09:21:45 PM

Do the signals for the off-ramp flash red?

It would appear if the signals were ever activated the stop signs would need to be covered so they didn't conflict with the signals.

They flash red. And I thought the same thing...clearly they no longer have an interest in activating the signal, otherwise the stop signs wouldn't be there.

Revive 755

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.