City names written in the road for guidance

Started by jakeroot, February 20, 2019, 01:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

As an example of typical airport signage: I actually just took this picture yesterday. The Salt Lake City airport uses black backgrounds, ugly arrows, and what looks to be Arial or Helvetica (and there are probably more issues than those). But a recent sign replacement project also included these awesome-looking (and huge) interstate shields. I was impressed (even if 80 TO 15 and 215 would be more accurate).

jakeroot

Those rivets...holy shit! Maybe they should be painted black or something? :-D WA uses that style of construction (incremental?) but I've never seen rivets that noticeable. Maybe they're just bigger on that airport sign?

Here's a similar incremental sign at SeaTac airport. Hard to see the rivets, but they are there. I don't think it has anything to do with green vs black, but I suppose it could.

Scott5114

Rivets are a lot more noticeable on Utah signs (including UDOT work) for whatever reason. Dig around the Utah threads and you'll see plenty of rivets.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2019, 11:50:05 PM
Rivets are a lot more noticeable on Utah signs (including UDOT work) for whatever reason. Dig around the Utah threads and you'll see plenty of rivets.

My two cents: that photo was taken at about 7 AM, when the sun was low and sort of behind the signs. I think the black probably amplifies the reflected-light effect as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.