News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Width of word "INTERSTATE" on 3di shields

Started by Roadsguy, May 27, 2019, 05:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Has anyone else noticed more and more 3di shields featuring the word INTERSTATE written in a wider series font to fill the width of the shield? This is compared to the normal style where the word is just as wide as it is in a normal 2di shield. An example of both styles can be seen in this Street View image (which is weird since I would think both signs would have been fabricated at the same time).

Off the top of my head and confirmed by a Street View search, almost every new I-295 shield in PA and NJ installed for the extension of the route around Trenton to the new I-95/PA Turnpike interchange features the wider word. Not every shield, though; the guide signs on NB I-95 approaching the interchange have the narrower word, as do all trailblazer style assemblies I found on side roads.

This isn't just limited to PA. I've seen a few of them in Street View in other states, though I can't remember where off the top of my head. Is this a new actual signage practice or just a bunch of shields fabricated incorrectly? I think it looks far better with the narrower word.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

thspfc

I haven't noticed anything like that, but the next time I'm in Milwaukee I'll have to look for it since there are all new shields on I-894 as of last year.

MNHighwayMan

The standard 3 digit Interstate shield, as specified in the FHWA Standard Highway Signs guide, is supposed to use Series E for the "INTERSTATE." However, many fabricators didn't follow the standard until recently, using a narrower font. I suspect the reason for this is that the standard for 3 digit Interstate shields didn't use Series E until the most recent version–does anyone have an older copy of Standard Highway Signs to confirm this?

Ben114

There are a bunch of these wide ones on I-495 in MA.

J N Winkler

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 27, 2019, 07:29:03 PMThe standard 3 digit Interstate shield, as specified in the FHWA Standard Highway Signs guide, is supposed to use Series E for the "INTERSTATE." However, many fabricators didn't follow the standard until recently, using a narrower font. I suspect the reason for this is that the standard for 3 digit Interstate shields didn't use Series E until the most recent version–does anyone have an older copy of Standard Highway Signs to confirm this?

I have a print copy of SHS 1978 and Series C is specified regardless of digit count.  (The drawing shows just the two-digit shape, but has dimensions for both two- and three-digit shapes.)  I suspect the drawing is unchanged from SHS 1971.  I don't know if the Interstate shield was included in SHS 1961.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 27, 2019, 05:23:14 PMAn example of both styles can be seen in this Street View image (which is weird since I would think both signs would have been fabricated at the same time).
Even weirder is the fact that the I-276 shield with the Series E INTERSTATE lettering has Series C numerals but the other I-276 shield with the narrower (Series C?) INTERSTATE letters has elongated Series D numerals.

This is not the first time similar has happened.  Some of the recent NJ Turnpike projects along the dual-carriageway portion features signs with identical messages in different fonts and even route shields (see Exits 7A, 7 and even Exit 6 for examples).

I-95/NJ Turnpike northbound approaching Exit 7
Note the different varying font & shield styles on what should be identical signs.

If there's any consolation, the fore-mentioned EAST 276 sign has since been changed to read NORTH 95 since last September's opening of the I-95/PA Turnpike connector/interchange ramps.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.