News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

First time you heard someone swear on TV

Started by bandit957, September 24, 2018, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on September 27, 2018, 12:30:32 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, I recall seeing a late '70s episode of Card Sharks rerun on Game Show Network some years ago: The contestant was having a good run at the money cards, and seemingly frozen in disbelief at her ballooning jackpot, she kept saying "Oh my god!"  But the "god"  part was cut out...no bleep, no sound effect. Just a second of awkward dead silence–and I think she said the phrase about a half-dozen times.

That struck me as a bit puritanical by '70s standards.
Such might have been due to:
1.  What time of day or night did this show originally air?
2.  What network it originally aired on?
3.  Game shows were likely subject to different standards than the edgier sitcoms of the era.

While the phrase Oh My God was indeed uttered on many 70s sitcoms, especially edgier ones like M*A*S*H plus ones from Norman Lear; there were still quite a few that did not.  The Brady Bunch & The Partridge Family come to mind as two examples.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

abefroman329

On the other end of the spectrum, I recall seeing a late '70s episode of Card Sharks rerun on Game Show Network some years ago: The contestant was having a good run at the money cards, and seemingly frozen in disbelief at her ballooning jackpot, she kept saying "Oh my god!"  But the "god"  part was cut out...no bleep, no sound effect. Just a second of awkward dead silence–and I think she said the phrase about a half-dozen times.

Something similar happened in the early 2000s. For some reason, Christians were offended that the Lord's name taken in vain was censored.

english si

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 27, 2018, 11:48:36 AM
The "South Park"  episode notes above was called "It Hits the Fan."  The characters are excited because the word "shit"  is to be used, uncensored, on TV. Then everyone starts using it (162 times in the episode, IIRC)
162, plus 38 times written down for a round 200. And some cigarettes too.

Comedy Central would normally beep out some of the swearing when broadcast, but didn't as the execs felt it perfectly acceptable with the context.

This aired without censorship - just like every other South Park episode - on UK broadcast TV. I remember watching South Park, even in the early years when I wasn't that old, so it might have been 9 or 9.30pm.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

KEVIN_224

Wasn't G.D. first used on CBS' "All In The Family"?

Roadrunner75

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 27, 2018, 07:15:35 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 24, 2018, 02:59:31 PM
I remember a drunk Slash at an American Music Awards having to be cut off.  1990 or 1991 or something like that.

It was in 1989, I do believe. They cut away early. Slash or the man with him (Duff?), gave the camera the finger as it panned up and away.

I remember watching that.  I think it was something like "We want to f***ing thank......." and then immediately music and commercial.

thenetwork

That was a standard of just the NBC Network at the time.  Don't know when that practice ended.

There is an independent TV station in Akron that is owned by televangelist Ernest Angely (for now...he'S currently in a .lot of hot water with labor and financial issues).  His station muted the G-word and other "mildly offensive" words that were on shows OTHER than his religious shows as recent as 10 years ago -- he still may be over-censoring despite being a CW affiliate up until they lost the network a few weeks ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.