News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wriddle082

On I-85 northbound in Durham County, a few mikes north of US 70, and maybe a mile or two before Falls Lake, there is a one mile stretch of road where they have installed reflectors differently.  There are two reflectors installed between every other line, spaced about 6-12"  apart, and they're unpaid into rectangular grooves similar to how VA and SC did in the past.  Right now, KY is the only state I am aware of that installs reflectors in this manner, which they have done since 2014.

Has anybody else noticed this, or know of an announcement regarding this?  Hopefully this will become the standard in NC and other states.

LM117

wdcrft63

LM117

LM117

NCDOT will hold a statewide public comment period from January 27-February 28 regarding the upcoming 2023-2032 STIP.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/Public-Comment-Opportunity-for-Future-NCDOT-Projects.aspx

LM117

An update on the US-301 revitalization project in Wilson.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/city-us-301-project-95-complete,199829

For those that can't access the article:

QuoteCrews are expected to finish the U.S. 301 redevelopment project this spring, roughly two years after the road detours started.

"I think it has been a great project,"  said Bill Bass, Wilson public works director, estimating about 95% of the project is complete. "The weather delays have extended the lane closures, but everybody seems to be very patient, and I think it will be worthwhile. It will all pay off when we finish."

In 2015, Wilson was awarded $10 million through a Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery grant, which was paired with $6 million from the N.C. Department of Transportation and about $2 million from the city. Construction has included improved stormwater systems from Black Creek Road to Lipscomb Road as well as raised medians, sidewalks and crosswalks.

"What they are doing currently is filling in the gaps in the sidewalks and repairing broken curb and gutter and sidewalks,"  Bass said. "Probably in March or April, when the weather gets better, they'll use a milling machine to get the grade of the road correct, and they'll put the final layer of surface down.

"If all the repairs are made prior to the final milling and resurface work, they may find opportunities to remove closures."  

Originally the project was slated to be finished by now, but the N.C. Department of Transportation granted an 180-day extension to all projects across the state because of wet weather in 2018.

"For the sidewalks on Herring (Avenue), we still have some work to do in some places with the traffic signals,"  Bass said. "We also have some intersection improvements at Sallie B. Howard and on the north side of Herring."

Safety and improving mobility throughout the area is a cornerstone of the project, but Bass said the effect won't be evident until all the work is complete.

"If there have been any comments about the project, it is about being ready for it to be done,"  he said. "But they are excited about all the improvements, more so about the sidewalks than anything else from what I've heard."

Rodger Lentz, Wilson chief planning and development officer, said the project has spurred new businesses, such as the city's second Wendy's location and the relocation of Public Tire Warehouse, as well as other investment.

"We have seen more inquiries and a fair bit of activity in the residential area where developers have purchased former vacant or less-than-appealing residential properties and have rehabbed them,"  Lentz said.

Officials have held meetings for residents in the area in hopes of determining what types of businesses would do well near the redeveloped thoroughfare. Lentz said a grocery store and a bank have risen to the top of the list, but that's dependent on private developers.

"The feeling is that with an improved roadway and improved aesthetics, more development can be attracted,"  he said. "That is why the city embarked on the economic revitalization plan for the highway to develop strategies and next steps to continue the momentum of the TIGER investment."

The plan will be presented to the Wilson City Council for approval this spring. Also, a beautification grant program is set to launch in the corridor in the coming months.

"We stand ready to assist developers and are actively promoting the corridor to business interests,"  Lentz said.

sprjus4

The speed limit along the US-70 / US-17 freeway through New Bern has been increased to 60 mph sometime in the past month. The last time I drove through there back in December, the speed limit was still 55 mph. This increase is also being implemented as the shoulder widening project through the urban area is nearing completion. Ultimately, it could reasonable be 65 mph as the majority of the traffic already does 65 - 70 mph, though 60 mph is an improvement over 55 mph.

index

I don't know if there's a better thread for this but I recently found out about a new plate NC may introduce - if enough people sign on to it. Currently it is at 299 out of 500 people needed.

Funds from the plate will go to preserving the venus flytrap, NC is the only place in the world it naturally grows.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

cowboy_wilhelm

NCDOT says finances have stabilized but remain precarious, hoping the weather holds

-   NCDOT's finances have stabilized since last spring.
-   The precariousness of its finances means NCDOT has not rescinded the cost-cutting measures it put in place last year. Those are allowing the department to spend about 15 percent less on operations and maintenance.
-   NCDOT has been able to restart engineering work on about 220 projects. The department hopes to restore engineering work on about 240 more projects by the end of May.
-   NCDOT has spent close to $400 million on storm-related cleanup and repairs in the last 16 months.
-   NCDOT is still waiting on more than $100 million in FEMA reimbursement from hurricanes Matthew and Florence.
-   The General Assembly now requires the NCDOT to begin each year with $125 million in an emergency reserve fund. The department has until July 1 to transfer money into the fund to bring it up from $64 million to $125 million.
-   The state has paid about $558 million to property owners affected by the Map Act. About 635 property owners had filed lawsuits. A little more than 200 of those lawsuits remain unresolved, and NCDOT estimates it will cost another $179 million to settle them. That figure may change.
-   NCDOT will still spend about $5 billion this year on roads and bridges, airports, railroads, ferries and mass transit. State and federal gas taxes, DMV fees, highway use taxes and other sources of income have remained steady, and the department continues to issue bonds to fund major construction projects.
-   NCDOT's finances will be back to normal by September or October, when some or all of the cutbacks will be lifted. That's if the weather holds.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on December 16, 2019, 03:15:50 PM
You didn't happen to head towards Mount Olive on US-117 to see how the Country Club Road interchange was coming along, did you? I was hoping to check it out this month while visiting a friend in Goldsboro, but something came up and I had to put off my trip to Goldsboro until sometime early next year (probably January or February).
Drove through the interchange along US-117 northbound today heading back from Wilmington.

The roadway approaches look completed, though the bridges still have some work to do. The roadway is still narrowed to one-lane and you are forced to exit and come to a stop at the bottom of the ramp. Wasn't an issue, not too much heavy traffic along US-117 at least during this drive.

The speed limit through the area remains at 55 mph along the entire segment. Once the interchange construction is completed, the speed limit ought to be increased to 70 mph along the 9 mile freeway segment between the NC-55 interchange and the US-117 Alt intersection. Easily cruised 70 mph once past the work zone, and most traffic was traveling around the same speed.

Here's an image of the overpass taken from the ramp below.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 25, 2020, 09:02:58 PM
The speed limit through the area remains at 55 mph along the entire segment. Once the interchange construction is completed, the speed limit ought to be increased to 70 mph along the 9 mile freeway segment between the NC-55 interchange and the US-117 Alt intersection. Easily cruised 70 mph once past the work zone, and most traffic was traveling around the same speed.

Unfortunately, according to the signage plans, the speed limit will remain 55 mph on both sides of the interchange for now.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

^^ Thanks for the update! You should post the pic in the I-795 thread. :nod: Hopefully, the interchange will still open this spring. From what I've been told, traffic at those ramps usually isn't bad except during rush hour.

I agree that the speed limit should be set at 70mph, or at the very least, 65mph. I've been up and down that road many times growing up in Wayne County and almost everyone ignored the 55mph speed limit. Speed enforcement there is typically pretty lax. I usually cruised 65-70mph there and never had a problem, though I was more careful during holidays when the cops were out in full force feasting on travelers.

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 25, 2020, 11:08:46 PMUnfortunately, according to the signage plans, the speed limit will remain 55 mph on both sides of the interchange for now.

It'll still go ignored. Sooner or later, NCDOT will take the hint.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on January 26, 2020, 02:56:16 PM
^^ Thanks for the update! You should post the pic in the I-795 thread. :nod: Hopefully, the interchange will still open this spring. From what I've been told, traffic at those ramps usually isn't bad except during rush hour.
I went ahead and posted it there, along with an additional photo.

Quote from: LM117 on January 26, 2020, 02:56:16 PM
I agree that the speed limit should be set at 70mph, or at the very least, 65mph. I've been up and down that road many times growing up in Wayne County and almost everyone ignored the 55mph speed limit. Speed enforcement there is typically pretty lax. I usually cruised 65-70mph there and never had a problem, though I was more careful during holidays when the cops were out in full force feasting on travelers.
When I got back on the freeway from the Country Club Rd ramp, I picked up speed, cruised for about a mile, then realized I had been up to 77 mph. At that point, I kicked it back down to 70 mph, but bottom line it felt natural to get up to those speeds. This applies to the remainder of the US-117 expressway, and most divided highways in the state. The 55 mph or 60 mph limits are artificial, and are largely ignored. I'll usually travel about 65 to 70 mph on 55 or 60 mph rural divided highways for the most part depending on the roadway. When I was on 70 mph I-40 and I-795 though, I didn't go much faster, only about 75 mph for the most part, 80 mph at some points.

RoadPelican

A 55 Speed Limit is a pain on the I-795 extension.  At least make it 60 like the southern end of the US 117 Connector.

Here are some other Speed Limit follies from around NC:

-55 MPH on the whole stretch of the US 17/NC 24 Jacksonville bypass (yet the 440 Beltline around Raleigh is 60 and that is WAY more urban than the Jax Bypass)

-55 MPH on I-73 from Bryan Blvd to NC 68 (near PTI Airport) Greensboro (this stretch of I-73 is too straight and the on-off ramps are too well marked and spacious for 55 MPH) The cops love to patrol this stretch!!!

-55 MPH on NC 68 from I-73 to Triad Center Dr (just north of I-40)  Freeway section much like I-73.

-I commute on NC 68 regularly, the speed limit is 55 from I-73 in Greensboro down to the Palladium Shopping Center in High Point.  The stretch from the Palladium north to Triad Center is 55 and very reasonable.  The road is straight, wide, and has at-grade intersections with traffic lights every 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so.  Most drivers (believe it or not) actually do ONLY 50-55 from Palladium to Triad Center, I usually pass them doing 60-65.

On the freeway section of NC 68 from Triad Center north to I-73, the speed limit stays 55, I usually do 65-67, and NOW everyone passes me doing 70-75+, even though the speed limit never changes!!!

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on January 26, 2020, 06:41:37 PM
-55 MPH on the whole stretch of the US 17/NC 24 Jacksonville bypass (yet the 440 Beltline around Raleigh is 60 and that is WAY more urban than the Jax Bypass)
Agreed, this could and should be posted at 60 mph. The US-70 / US-17 freeway near New Bern had a similar situation, it was posted at 55 mph through the city with traffic generally flowing 65 - 70 mph, and leaving to the west it immediately bumps to 70 mph. This segment was finally increased to 60 mph in the past month.

Much of US-17 throughout the state should be increased from 55 mph to 60 mph. This includes all the rural 4-lane divided highway segments from Virginia to South Carolina, excluding the existing 65 - 70 mph bypasses, and the developed areas. Some areas, such as from the Virginia state line to the Elizabeth City bypass, the section south of the Washington bypass, the section between the Pollocksville and Maysville bypasses, and the section near Bolivia are already posted at 60 mph, but the remainder is still a crawling 55 mph that is largely ignored.

NC-24 between Richlands and I-40, excluding Beulaville, and between Clinton and I-95 should also be increased from 55 mph to 60 mph. The entire corridor is 4-lane divided highway, a large part that was just recently built, and 55 mph is merely a suggestion.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-28-i-40-i-440-split-closures.aspx

Quote​RALEIGH — N.C. Department of Transportation contractors are planning overnight closures at the junction of Interstate 40 and Interstate 440 this week as part of the widening of I-40 from Southeast Raleigh to Clayton.

Tonight, and the next two nights from midnight to 5 a.m., access from I-40 East to I-440 West is scheduled to be closed.

A detour will direct drivers to continue on I-40 East to Exit 303 (Jones Sausage Road) to turn around and take I-40 West to Exit 301 to get to I-440 West.

The closures will allow for bridge girder installation on the new flyover bridge from I-440 East to I-40 East.

​Drivers should allow extra time to navigate the detour route and pay extra attention while driving through the work zone.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on January 28, 2020, 04:33:39 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-28-i-40-i-440-split-closures.aspx

Quote​RALEIGH — N.C. Department of Transportation contractors are planning overnight closures at the junction of Interstate 40 and Interstate 440 this week as part of the widening of I-40 from Southeast Raleigh to Clayton.

Tonight, and the next two nights from midnight to 5 a.m., access from I-40 East to I-440 West is scheduled to be closed.

A detour will direct drivers to continue on I-40 East to Exit 303 (Jones Sausage Road) to turn around and take I-40 West to Exit 301 to get to I-440 West.

The closures will allow for bridge girder installation on the new flyover bridge from I-440 East to I-40 East.

​Drivers should allow extra time to navigate the detour route and pay extra attention while driving through the work zone.
Think they forgot to mention another interstate involved with that interchange.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on January 29, 2020, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: LM117 on January 28, 2020, 04:33:39 PM

Think they forgot to mention another interstate involved with that interchange.

Honestly, it took me a minute before I realized what interstate you were talking about. I was used to (now defunct) I-495 ending at I-440 that I keep forgetting that I-87 doesn't end there. :pan:

I still think that either I-87 should've ended at I-440 like I-495 did, or have that short stretch of I-440 decommissioned, but that ship has sailed...

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
The I-87/440 concurrence is simply there for navigational purposes, to (a) maintain continuity of the 40/440 outer loop, and (b) bring I-87 to a junction with the other Raleigh trunk Interstate (I-40 of course).  It was probably calculated that the short distance between the two interchanges would make such a concurrency non-problematic; if it had been considerably more, then NCDOT would have likely made a choice between signing I-87 or I-440 with some form of trailblazer indicators for the other present at the I-40 interchange.  Happily, NCDOT seems to actually care about signage and navigability, unlike some other states' agencies (e.g. the lack of I-22 trailblazers from either I-40[TN] or I-55[MS] at their I-269 junctions). 

cowboy_wilhelm

This is probably too far west in North Carolina for this thread, but this article has a good video showing the early phases of the I-26 widening south of Asheville.

https://wlos.com/news/state-of-our-roads/state-of-our-roads-what-a-wider-i-26-means-for-western-north-carolina-environment

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on January 30, 2020, 09:14:01 PM
This is probably too far west in North Carolina for this thread, but this article has a good video showing the early phases of the I-26 widening south of Asheville.

https://wlos.com/news/state-of-our-roads/state-of-our-roads-what-a-wider-i-26-means-for-western-north-carolina-environment
Good article detailing the project, and it certainly isn't too far west. This thread covers the entire state.

ARMOURERERIC

Glad they are doing something, about 2 years ago I took an afternoon birthday joy ride on the Blue Ridge Parway from Brevard Rd to Little Switzerland, people are now using the BRP as a commuter route from Brevard to US 70 because of the traffic on 26

sprjus4

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 30, 2020, 10:58:20 PM
Glad they are doing something, about 2 years ago I took an afternoon birthday joy ride on the Blue Ridge Parway from Brevard Rd to Little Switzerland, people are now using the BRP as a commuter route from Brevard to US 70 because of the traffic on 26
That entire segment of I-26 is and has always been a mess with high traffic volumes, grades, etc. This project will bring the highway up to modern standards and provide 8-lanes in the northern segment and 6-lanes in the southern segment, along with a new bridge over the French Broad River.

orulz

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 30, 2020, 10:58:20 PM
From Brevard *road* or from Brevard itself?

Using the BRP as a commuter road between Brevard Road (NC 191) and Tunnel Road (US 70) in Asheville is absolutely nothing new. People were even doing that back in the 80s and 90s when I was a kid, and traffic jams were unknown in the Asheville area.

People driving the winding road up US 276 past the Cradle of Forestry to get to the Parkway from Brevard, and then driving the parkway from there to Asheville? Now *that* would be new, and wow congestion would have to be *very* bad on I-26 to make that worth it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.