News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gauging interest for a D.C. area meet in November

Started by froggie, October 03, 2009, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For those interested in attending a D.C. area meet, which November Saturday works best?

November 7
1 (10%)
November 14
3 (30%)
November 21
3 (30%)
Have it in December instead
0 (0%)
Other
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 0

froggie

After another of my generally-twice-a-week rides across the Wilson Bridge (it's a convenient PT route for me), I think it's about time to have a D.C. area meet.  There's also been enough progress on the HOV connections at the Springfield interchange (the so-called "Phase 8") that it's a potential side trip.  Looking at having a meet during one of the non-Thanksgiving weekends in November, and possibly tying in a Capitals hockey game for those who may come early or stay later.

Here's the possible weekends:

November 7:  this one has the Capitals game that night (against the Florida Panthers)

November 14:  with this one, the Caps game is the Friday night before, against the Minnesota Wild.  So it's a hockey game I'll likely be at anyway...

November 21:  this one also has the Caps game on the Friday night before (against Montreal).  Potential issue with this date is the meet would probably have to start later since it's a duty weekend for me.

The main focal point of the meet would be the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.  It's about a 2-mile round-trip walk from the nearest parking area out to the middle of the bridge.  To fully appreciate the bridge (going down to the bike/ped overpass on the Maryland side) adds about another mile-and-a-half, so this part will take a good while.

Time permitting, side trips include checking out the HO/T lane progress on the Beltway...in particular the HOV connections at the Springfield interchange (mentioned above), progress on the last leg of the Fairfax County Parkway near Ft. Belvoir, and possibly more.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Ian

I'd like to go if I can. D.C. isn't THAT far from me.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

akotchi

Considering I used to live in the Annapolis area, and have had family there until four years ago, it would be nice to get back.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

rawmustard

I'm thinking of taking a trip to the area either King Day or Presidents Day weekend, and obviously I'd take time to see the various projects in the area (as well as the cities themselves). I hope you have a successful meet whenever it's scheduled.

WillWeaverRVA

I'd be more than willing to try to go to this one if I can get time off, regardless of when it is.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alps

Now that the Fort to Port has been set, i think it's a good idea to rule out the 7th.  That'll let HB attend both.  :sombrero:

rawmustard

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 06, 2009, 07:29:59 PM
Now that the Fort to Port has been set, i think it's a good idea to rule out the 7th.  That'll let HB attend both.  :sombrero:

Heck, if we all had our meets at the same time (FW, DC, and NO), we could arrange a Skype conference :D. (It would be the next big ridiculous roadmeet thing! :p)

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 06, 2009, 07:29:59 PM

I'm definitely out for DC and iffy for Fort-to-Port.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Hopefully I can go if it's not November 7th or the first week of December but I don't know about the 14th yet either.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 21st for the meet.  That date seems to have a slight edge in favorability over the 14th.

Here's the issue, though.  That's a duty weekend for me...and although it's possible I can get stuff wrapped up early at the office, I can't realistically plan anything before the noon-1pm hour.  We're also limited by an early sunset...with sunset being around quarter-to-five that day.

So I'm asking for opinions/input on this.  We could do away with the "traditional meet lunch" prior to the tour, and start right off at the tour around noon.  This would give plenty of time to not only tour the Wilson Bridge, but other NOVA features I had in mind and perhaps also a driving tour of some DC features that Steve suggested to me.

Another option would be to have the "meet lunch" start earlier (such as 11am), so that it could still be included in the day's activities, then have the tour afterwards.  Downside of this is, depending on my workload that morning, you may be having the lunch without me.

Final option would be to follow the "normal procedure" of having the lunch at noon, then touring afterwards.  Though as mentioned previously this will limit daylight time and thus how much we'll be able to cover during the tour.

Thoughts/comments?

Alps

I could throw another possibility into the mix: a "pre-meet" of interested people around 11 AM, starting in west DC with my trip items and making its way over to lunch at noon.  You join us as soon as you're able, and we set off by 1 or 1:30 (no dawdling till 2:30 like at some meets).  The 14th is slightly more favorable to me than the 21st, being farther from Thanksgiving and also not being your duty weekend.
Remaining question: what to do with the Saturday night?

froggie

Unfortunately, the 7th is the only Saturday night the Caps have a home game (the other two weekends are Friday night games...and I'll be at the game on the 13th), so aside from a dinner gathering or unless something else pops up, everyone's pretty much on their own after the meet.

hbelkins

When you guys settle on a date and location, I might join you after all. My brother is in DC on business and he rode Amtrak up rather than drive or fly. I'm toying with the idea of riding Amtrak up for the meet and back. I could catch a train a couple of hours away from home and sleep part of the way up and back. That might require someone picking me up at a train station, but we could work those details out later once we know when and where the meet will occur.

Truvelo

I'll be in Ohio on the 7th so it's just a little too far to drive. It would be nice to attend one of these meets if it coincides with one of my visits to the States and I just happen to be in the right place. Maybe one day.....
Speed limits limit life

hbelkins

Quote from: Truvelo on October 16, 2009, 03:07:22 PM
I'll be in Ohio on the 7th so it's just a little too far to drive. It would be nice to attend one of these meets if it coincides with one of my visits to the States and I just happen to be in the right place. Maybe one day.....

The US 24 Fort-to-Port meet is on Nov. 7 in Ft. Wayne, Ind., and it will venture over into Ohio. Perhaps you could make that one.

froggie

Unless someone gives me a compelling reason (besides my duty status) otherwise, I've pretty much (but not 100%) decided on the 21st.  The meet, or at least the gathering point, would be along US 1 south of the Beltway.

If you were to take the train in, it'd be easier for someone to pick you up from a Metro station than it would Union Station.  Since Metro's Red Line stops right at Union Station, it wouldn't be too hard to hop on Metro.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 16, 2009, 04:19:04 PM
Unless someone gives me a compelling reason (besides my duty status) otherwise, I've pretty much (but not 100%) decided on the 21st.  The meet, or at least the gathering point, would be along US 1 south of the Beltway.

If you were to take the train in, it'd be easier for someone to pick you up from a Metro station than it would Union Station.  Since Metro's Red Line stops right at Union Station, it wouldn't be too hard to hop on Metro.

The train's out. I checked schedules for both the 14th and 21st, and using Amtrak would require a two-night stay on both weekends. If I'm going to have to spend two nights, I'd just as soon drive. The Cardinal route, which is what I'd be taking, only runs every other day.

ruffnerr

froggie

Not fully....tentatively going for the 21st, even though it's a duty morning for me...but want to narrow down a time/location and potential tour spots before I make a full announcement.

WillWeaverRVA

I could go on the 21st (I have a 3 day weekend). I definitely cannot go on the 14th or the 28th.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.