News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridge Day in West Virginia?

Started by hbelkins, October 07, 2009, 10:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I know a couple of you have indicated that you're coming to West Virginia for Bridge Day. Who, exactly, is coming and where do you plan to stay? I just might be able to join you for the day.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Alas, there's a major bicycling event in DC that same day, including opportunities to bike on the GW Pkwy, the Whitehurst Freeway, and VA 110...all of which normally prohibit bikes.  So I'll likely be passing on "Bridge Day".

Alps

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 08, 2009, 08:07:34 AM
I will be there along with Lou.

Where are you guys spending Friday night?

I've been twice, both times before they started closing the bridge completely to vehicular traffic on that day. First time I came down the WV Turnpike and north on US 19. Second time I came through Charleston and took US 60 to WV 16 (which I still want to call US 21 sometimes). Taking WV 16 south from Chimney Corners puts you on US 19 one block north of the bridge, so it's easy to make a right turn and then find a parking place.

Alps

We're coming up from NC and going back afterwards...

froggie

Given the crappy weather here tomorrow morning (rain and temps near 40), I thought about heading out for Bridge Day.  But it's 5 hours one way to drive, plus the weather's looking just as bad for Bridge Day (if not worse...they're calling for snow in WV), so I think I'll be sitting home tomorrow.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 16, 2009, 04:23:20 PM
Given the crappy weather here tomorrow morning (rain and temps near 40), I thought about heading out for Bridge Day.  But it's 5 hours one way to drive, plus the weather's looking just as bad for Bridge Day (if not worse...they're calling for snow in WV), so I think I'll be sitting home tomorrow.

Yeah, this is the weekend of one of the biggest fall festivals in Kentucky and they're giving terrible weather for it. (Not that I'd go to that cluster-foxtrot known as Court Days in Mt. Sterling, anyway, the last time I really endured it was about 20 years ago and only a few times as a kid).

I think the last 10 times I've been in the Beckley area it's been raining, so I think I'll stick close to home too.

Dougtone

The weather isn't looking too good in Upstate New York either for this weekend.  I wasn't planning on going to Bridge Day, but some hiking and roadgeeking plans in northern Pennsylvania were cancelled for Sunday.  However, the weather is going to be stellar for the work week.  :-/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.