News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possible South County Meet (in the Spring or Summer)

Started by Roadgeek Adam, January 10, 2010, 10:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

I have brought forth the idea for the next road meet I would host. My belief is to have a meet in South County, Rhode Island. Although its not a big of thing as the big capital city to the north, I feel I have found enough interesting stuff to justify the South County meet. I have been looking at the possibility of doing it during the Spring or Summer, as its a beautiful place. I have come up with some ideas for an itenary, feel free to add suggestions:

- Hannah Robinson Tower
- The former Jamestown (RI 138) Bridge
- Route 403's new freeway and old alignment
- Route 4's new Exit 7
- The Ocean Drive of Narragansett (and the towers)

Those are my ideas so far. I have a restaurant idea as well, Pancho O' Malleys in Narragansett (on RI 108).

Give me ideas if you can.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

yanksfan6129

Not directly road related, but perhaps might be worth a look at some of the Newport Houses if we need more things to do

Alps

Route 4 is boring, I'd suggest instead looking at the new I-195 in Providence (you can use Gano St. exit for a perspective from below or a place to park and walk).  There's also the Henderson Bridge, would-be US 44.  Then head south from there, see the other stuff, and come back.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 11, 2010, 11:50:13 AM
Route 4 is boring, I'd suggest instead looking at the new I-195 in Providence (you can use Gano St. exit for a perspective from below or a place to park and walk).  There's also the Henderson Bridge, would-be US 44.  Then head south from there, see the other stuff, and come back.

Well Route 4 - I should specify the new Exit 7
Adam Seth Moss

Dougtone

I'm going to suggest June for the month for the meet.  The weather should probably be fine, plus it's not as busy of a vacation month like July and August are.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: dougtone on January 13, 2010, 04:42:04 PM
I'm going to suggest June for the month for the meet.  The weather should probably be fine, plus it's not as busy of a vacation month like July and August are.
Yes I figured that. However, I'd like to see what the interest is in terms of people before making the go-ahead
Adam Seth Moss

yanksfan6129

I like June. Especially late June. Like after school lets out... (for me, Wednesday the 23rd I think)

Duke87

Yeah, it seems kinda wrong to completely ignore 195 with this.

As for when... any weekend that isn't a holiday weekend ought to work. Although I can see where waiting for June so people are out of school would help.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

yakra

I'm another person interested, for those taking census. No preferences as to timing.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

hbelkins

Pardon my ignorance, but on the map I see five counties in Rhode Island, none of which are named South County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on January 21, 2010, 11:58:38 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but on the map I see five counties in Rhode Island, none of which are named South County.

South County is a commonly used nickname for Washington County, Rhode Island.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: dougtone on January 22, 2010, 04:20:49 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 21, 2010, 11:58:38 PM

South County is a commonly used nickname for Washington County, Rhode Island.

I never noticed that, I thought South County was its actual name...Pardon my ignorance then. Besides South County sounds better.

I will not, however, pardon your ignorance of proper quoting.  /your friendly mod
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.