News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lawrence/Northeast Kansas Roadgeek meet

Started by route56, February 15, 2011, 03:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Between work and the upcoming train show, I haven't had a change to give planning my proposed Lawrence roadgeek meet much thought.

The last time I checked with the roadgeek community, most of you were looking at a April/May time. That would likely work for me. I'm currently looking at April 30, May 7, or May 14. May 21 is KU Commencement weekend, so traffic at the local eateries would not be conductive to conducting a roadgeek meet on that weekend. April 23rd is the day before easter, which is usually when the Midland Railway has its Easter egg hunt train.

EDIT: May 14 it is.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

okroads

Any of those dates would work for me at this point.

hbelkins

A bit too early for me to know anything at this point. I am considering doing a Kentucky or a Tri-State (KY/OH/WV) meet sometime in May or June, depending on when other meets are scheduled.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

route56

May 7 is out. I will be helping out at the local National Train Day event.

R.P.K.

route56

Signs (no pun intended) are pointing toward May 14. Meet location still TBD, but I'm inclined to start in North Lawrence.

R.P.K.

hbelkins

route56

R.P.K.

hbelkins

We're about a month out. Any ideas on venue for lunch, tour itinerary, etc? I'm planning to attend but would like to plan my overnight accommodations for Friday night (in Lawrence) and Saturday night (somewhere NE of KC) and the tour start/stop point will play a role in those decisions.

Tentative plans are to drive as far west as Evansville on Thursday following a class in Frankfort, then heading west to Lawrence on Friday via US 50 across Missouri and K-10 into Lawrence. After the meet I plan to stay somewhere NE of Kansas City, then across Missouri on US 24 and Illinois on I-72 on Sunday and hopefully make the Cincinnati area Sunday night.

US71

Quote from: route56 on March 18, 2011, 01:33:34 PM

May 14 is definite. Mark your calendars.

Probably won't make it. Got to go to Springfield that weekend

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ShawnP

Try Excelsior Springs NE of KC as it has a historic hotel called the Elms.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 09, 2011, 08:43:46 PM
We're about a month out. Any ideas on venue for lunch, tour itinerary, etc? I'm planning to attend but would like to plan my overnight accommodations for Friday night (in Lawrence) and Saturday night (somewhere NE of KC) and the tour start/stop point will play a role in those decisions.

Tentative plans are to drive as far west as Evansville on Thursday following a class in Frankfort, then heading west to Lawrence on Friday via US 50 across Missouri and K-10 into Lawrence. After the meet I plan to stay somewhere NE of Kansas City, then across Missouri on US 24 and Illinois on I-72 on Sunday and hopefully make the Cincinnati area Sunday night.

hbelkins

Quote from: ShawnP on April 09, 2011, 10:52:40 PM
Try Excelsior Springs NE of KC as it has a historic hotel called the Elms.

Actually was looking for something along I-35 or possibly US 36, as I have pretty much decided to take US 36 across Missouri to Hannibal due to it being four lanes. My stop for the night will be dependent on what time the meet ends and I get out of Lawrence.

Speaking of ... any details on the eatery, the itinerary, what time the meet will wrap up, etc?

route56

I've been waffling between two sports bars here in Lawrence. I think I've finally come to a decision.

The 2011 Lawrence/Northeast Kansas Roadgeek meet will be Saturday, May 14, at Set Em Up Jacks In Lawrence.

We'll have lunch and chat/maybe share maps, from 11:30-1:30, then will head out to see the sights The big road project is, of course, the US 59 freeway construction south of town. If time permits, I'd like to do the new Turnpike bridge. In any case, to be fair to those that plan to day trip it to Lawrence, I'll probably want to be done by 4-5ish.

Possible topics include:

* South Lawrence Trafficway (and if anyone's wondering what the hell it's all about, the fastest routes to 59 from Jacks will put us alongside the wetlands)
* Transportation funding, or lack therof
* Just how wide is the median on K-10
* Why does the ATT logo look like the Death Star

Set em up jacks is located in the shopping center on the Northeast corner of 23rd and Harper in Lawrence. Coming in from the east on K-10, Harper will be the first traffic light. There will be a right-in/right-out enterance to the strip mall off of K-10/23rd. There's also access from Harper, if you're coming in from the west.

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Can you recommend lodging in Lawrence?

I'd prefer a Choice Hotels, Wyndham Worldwide or Best Western property with park-at-the-door exterior corridors and free wi-fi.

route56

Quote from: hbelkins on April 18, 2011, 10:35:20 AM
Can you recommend lodging in Lawrence?

I'd prefer a Choice Hotels, Wyndham Worldwide or Best Western property with park-at-the-door exterior corridors and free wi-fi.

Obviously, you're not thinking of staying at the Eldridge or Oread ;)

Lawrence has multiple hotels. All of them should have Free Wi-Fi. The only one I could Identify as having external room access is the Days Inn.

http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=19691

Also, the Best Western is the closest to Jack's, being at 23rd and Iowa:

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=17120

R.P.K.

route56

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Brian Reynolds from Michigan wanted me to let you know that he plans to attend.

corco

I can't go, but anybody planning on staying overnight there would be well advised to avoid the Motel 6 just off I-70 on Mass St- I have low standards for hotels but hoo doggies that one is bad.

route56

T - 2 weeks and counting. Once you get to Jack's, you should have no problem finding me. Lunch crowd's usually light, and I'll probably get there to snag the corner booth under the "Big Freaking Screen" (which is also just as you walk in the door)

R.P.K.

Alps

If you're not sure which one's Richie, shout "That train has Chessie on it!" He'll come running over.

route56

Quote from: AlpsROADS on May 02, 2011, 12:49:34 AM
If you're not sure which one's Richie, shout "That train has Chessie on it!" He'll come running over.
* route56 activates the soundbox app on my iPhone, presses the "crowd boo" button.

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Would it considered sacrilege to wear a UK shirt in KU country?

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2011, 12:11:59 AM

probably not, but I wouldn't try it in the wrong half of Belfast!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

route56

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2011, 02:38:29 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2011, 12:11:59 AM

probably not, but I wouldn't try it in the wrong half of Belfast!
* route56 hits the 'rimshot' button on the soundbox

To H.B.'s original inquiry: we have plenty of Wildcat fans in Lawrence... however, they tend to wear purple. **rimshot**

Seeing as how you're coming from Kentucky, I would kind of expect you to be wearing your home turf colors.

R.P.K.

route56

T - 7 days until the Roadgeeks converge in Lawrence.

Given all that has been going on regarding placing cable barriers on K-10, I will likely bring it up during lunch
and may take everyone along K-10. US 59 is a definite must, though ;)
* route56 might go out to sample the food to make sure it's of acceptable quality for roadgeeks

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Quote from: route56 on May 07, 2011, 09:03:45 AM
* route56 might go out to sample the food to make sure it's of acceptable quality for roadgeeks

Took a look at their menu on their website (http://www.setemupjacks/com) and it looks to be pretty standard fare for places where I've attended meets in the past, especially college town restaurant/sports bar establishments.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.