News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Planning a trip to Trenton

Started by Zeffy, September 24, 2013, 12:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

I'm a history nut, so I'm going to Trenton to observe the battle monument, visit the museum, etc. I don't really have an issue with getting to Trenton, but here's my routes I might consider: (in no order of most likely to use / not likely to use)

1. US 206 South all the way down to Trenton
2. CR 514 -> US 202/NJ 31 -> NJ 31 South
3. US 206 South to I-95 (Trenton section) to NJ 29 South
4. US 1 South

Any alternate routes are always welcome. I live in Hillsborough, New Jersey if it helps any.

I've driven through Trenton once before - and that was the result of following NJ 31 down all the way. I know for a fact that some of the roads are in bad shape.

My question is which parts of Trenton do I want to avoid? I'm well aware that Trenton is not the greatest place to be and knowing that I want to know which parts of Trenton are "safe" (well, less dangerous). I know the general rule is "get out by night" and I do not expect to stay past 5PM latest. Anyone here know which areas might be considered more dangerous than others?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Honestly, pick a route you haven't done before. Personally, I've driven solo through the worst parts of Camden, Philadelphia, East St. Louis, etc., and as long as you keep moving and it's during the day, you're fine.

jeffandnicole

Of the historical stuff you would probably see, the worst location is the Battle Monument, and during the day I would think you'll be fine.  There's probably some street parking in that area to get you quite close to it.

After that, head down to State Street for the museum, state house tour, etc.  Street parking is available on State Street; garage parking is available just off State Street at Chancery Lane and by the Lafayette Yard Hotel (formerly the Marriott).  Those areas are fine during the day, and around lunch time there are plenty of state workers on their lunchtime walks.

And speaking of walks, if you have 45-60 minutes available, an enjoyable 3 mile walk is across the Calhoun St. Bridge into Morrisville, PA.  Walk along the dike south to the Trenton Makes Bridge, then walk back into NJ.  Good roadstuff also that many motorists in their cars may miss!  This walking route also takes you by William Trent Place, which allows you to visit that house/museum as well. 

Zeffy

Quote from: Steve on September 24, 2013, 09:47:33 PM
Honestly, pick a route you haven't done before. Personally, I've driven solo through the worst parts of Camden, Philadelphia, East St. Louis, etc., and as long as you keep moving and it's during the day, you're fine.

I have no issue driving through there, it's walking to and from where I'm planning to go. Luckily, everything I want to see seems within a few block radius of one-another.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 27, 2013, 10:01:45 AM
Of the historical stuff you would probably see, the worst location is the Battle Monument, and during the day I would think you'll be fine.  There's probably some street parking in that area to get you quite close to it.

After that, head down to State Street for the museum, state house tour, etc.  Street parking is available on State Street; garage parking is available just off State Street at Chancery Lane and by the Lafayette Yard Hotel (formerly the Marriott).  Those areas are fine during the day, and around lunch time there are plenty of state workers on their lunchtime walks.

And speaking of walks, if you have 45-60 minutes available, an enjoyable 3 mile walk is across the Calhoun St. Bridge into Morrisville, PA.  Walk along the dike south to the Trenton Makes Bridge, then walk back into NJ.  Good roadstuff also that many motorists in their cars may miss!  This walking route also takes you by William Trent Place, which allows you to visit that house/museum as well. 

Looking at the Battle Monument, it looks like you can just park right alongside of the street which hopefully will be an option when I go there. State Street looks to be 2-3 blocks south of the monument so I'm sure it's within walking distance. Also, thanks for the suggestion on the walk across the Trenton Makes bridge into Morrisville. I'll definitely consider it.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

wouldn't the 1917 state line sign for the Lincoln Highway be somewhere around there?

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Yes, that's on the Calhoun Street Bridge. The DRJTBC guard may yell at you if you take photos but fuck him.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: NE2 on September 27, 2013, 03:21:23 PM
Yes, that's on the Calhoun Street Bridge. The DRJTBC guard may yell at you if you take photos but fuck him.

Good thing my iPhone camera isn't super shitty and will still yield a high quality photo and the DRJTBC won't know if I'm taking a photo or texting.  :bigass:

jeffandnicole

I've taken photos from both their bridges.  No one cared.  Maybe NE2 got yelled at while he was taking pictures naked and standing in the roadway.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 27, 2013, 07:14:25 PM
I've taken photos from both their bridges.  No one cared.  Maybe NE2 got yelled at while he was taking pictures naked and standing in the roadway.
We had an entire roadmeet stop and take photos of that sign.

SteveG1988

You could take a train from a park and ride on the northeast corridor
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.