News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2021, 09:57:25 AM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 06, 2021, 09:31:50 PM
If that is possible with that specific model. I have a laptop that gives max 1 hour of battery, gives the low battery warning 1 minute before death, and said battery is not replaceable.

It's for the same reason that I no longer buy cell phones that don't have a replaceable battery.

"Replaceable" or "user-replaceable?" Some laptops don't necessarily have a battery that just pops out, but can be replaced. Same with an iPhone. It doesn't have a removable battery like some cell phones do, but someone with the right tools and skills can replace the battery.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Here's something else that bothers me. I get my mail at a post office box. Whenever I order something online, mostly from eBay or Amazon or Walmart, I'll often get a "cannot ship to this address" when I order. So I have to provide my physical address, where I've never gotten mail. And then the item gets shipped by USPS.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Probably what's happening is that Amazon (or whatever) has a computer algorithm that runs through USPS, UPS, FedEx, their own internal delivery drivers, etc. and pulls rates to see which one is the cheapest. Given that you live in rural Kentucky, that will always be USPS. But UPS/FedEx can't deliver to a PO box, so they won't give a rate for that, so Amazon won't let you enter it.

Most of the time for places as rural as yours, if you send a parcel through UPS or FedEx they'd ship it to Lexington or some other nearby biggish city...then mail it through USPS from Lexington to your actual town. Which makes me question what the point of shipping UPS/FedEx even is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

How does my pillow get twisted around inside its pillowcase during the night?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2021, 03:50:24 PM
Probably what's happening is that Amazon (or whatever) has a computer algorithm that runs through USPS, UPS, FedEx, their own internal delivery drivers, etc. and pulls rates to see which one is the cheapest. Given that you live in rural Kentucky, that will always be USPS. But UPS/FedEx can't deliver to a PO box, so they won't give a rate for that, so Amazon won't let you enter it.

Most of the time for places as rural as yours, if you send a parcel through UPS or FedEx they'd ship it to Lexington or some other nearby biggish city...then mail it through USPS from Lexington to your actual town. Which makes me question what the point of shipping UPS/FedEx even is.

I'd guess it's because UPS/FedEx can get it to that biggish city faster and at lower cost than USPS can, but from there USPS may have the advantage.  It's about using the best available option for each leg of the trip. 

Roadgeekteen

When I'm sleeping and my blankets somehow fall on the floor and I need to pick them up in the middle of the night.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 14, 2021, 09:25:05 AM
When I'm sleeping and my blankets somehow fall on the floor and I need to pick them up in the middle of the night.

Somewhat related, when my giant husky plushie falls partially onto the floor and I feel compelled to pick him up whenever I notice it
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

webny99

I'm a side sleeper for the most part and don't seem to have that problem.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on April 14, 2021, 09:52:12 AM

I sleep on my back

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

We have a top sheet and like three blankets on our bed (still winter-style).  Somehow, the middle blanket tends to slide off on my side of the bed.  The sheet and the other blankets don't.  It's a great mystery.

After my wife gets in bed, she likes to kick her foot out the side and roll over so her body is half-uncovered.  So I blame her for it.

I like to be completely covered up, so I always make sure to bring the covers with me when I roll over.  So she blames me for it.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 14, 2021, 10:02:07 AM

I sleep on my back
I sleep on the side.

roadman65

How about pulling into a parking space to have the next car open his/her door carelessly. Then also you being the one to open your door after being parked for a bit where another vehicle carelessly pulls in to the empty stall next to you.

Luck will always have experience both sides of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 14, 2021, 09:20:53 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2021, 03:50:24 PM

I'd guess it's because UPS/FedEx can get it to that biggish city faster and at lower cost than USPS can, but from there USPS may have the advantage.  It's about using the best available option for each leg of the trip. 

Yeah, but if you look at shipping rates offered to shippers UPS and FedEx are always more expensive than sending it USPS all the way. So if they can do it cheaper they're pocketing that difference as profit. And USPS Priority is pretty fast. Maybe there's some sort of cost savings for UPS/FedEx if you overnight stuff (which I never have any reason to do), or they offer steeper discounts if you qualify for whatever their equivalent to USPS's Commercial Plus tier is.

The only time it's ever made financial sense for me to use UPS to ship anything was when I had to ship an entire pallet, because USPS doesn't offer that service at all.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 14, 2021, 11:20:11 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 14, 2021, 10:02:07 AM

I sleep on my back
I sleep on the side.
I sometimes sleep on my side. Never stomach though.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2021, 11:19:47 PM
... The only time it's ever made financial sense for me to use UPS to ship anything was when I had to ship an entire pallet, because USPS doesn't offer that service at all.

I'd actually argue that it might not have made financial sense even then, given that UPS Freight was, to put it charitably, a complete joke. Their transit times ranged from ridiculous to mind-boggling - often close to a week between Rochester and Buffalo, for example. Fedex Freight is faster and more reliable by an order of magnitude.

(And I refer to UPS Freight in the past tense because they sold out to TFI International back in January: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ups-to-sell-ups-freight-after-a-tough-15-year-run)

kenarmy

when i wake up and check my replies (thinking it's gonna be one of my threads) and then it's just a new page of "Fritzowl in one thread" or Alanland..
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Scott5114

That's what you get for replying to FritzOwl or Alanland.

CoreySamson

That's why I've never posted in FritzOwl's thread. I don't want to check my replies for it every day.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

roadman65

I only know Fritzowl from reputation and to me he has no interest to want to interact with him. So yes you should ignore him and don't respond to his Oversea Highway to Europe and such. It's not worth it. I have learned on here that you feed a troll they want more food and you end up giving out more food instead of ridding them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

You can't interact with FritzOwl, because that implies that FritzOwl will acknowledge what you have to say and respond in turn.

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on April 20, 2021, 03:34:05 PM
I only know Fritzowl from reputation and to me he has no interest to want to interact with him. ...

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2021, 06:28:02 PM
You can't interact with FritzOwl, because that implies that FritzOwl will acknowledge what you have to say and respond in turn.

FritzOwl actually sort of does that, if you count quoting someone's post as acknowledging them. He doesn't seem to be able to recognize criticism or change his plans, though, so it does seem like beating a dead horse after a while.

kphoger

Sometimes he actually gives you a justification for something.  It usually goes something like "I saw it on a now-defunct GeoCities page by some guy named Curt seven years ago.  Trust me."
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: webny99 on April 20, 2021, 09:29:15 PM
He doesn't seem to be able to recognize criticism or change his plans, though, so it does seem like beating a dead horse after a while.

FritzOwl doesn't really care, doesn't seem to argue with anyone else, and rarely tries to merge those plans into the real-life threads (at least, not in a long time).

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on April 21, 2021, 11:13:23 AM
FritzOwl ... rarely tries to merge those plans into the real-life threads (at least, not in a long time).

That's because his thread was created specifically to keep his ideas out of those other threads.  And he's been very good about heeding that.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

I think one of the other mods (might have been Jake Bear, it was so long ago) told him point blank that if he didn't stop carpet-bombing the other threads in Fictional with his plans that he was going to get banned. He used to be very bad about posting his plans in every thread in the section.

Also of note is that FritzOwl has never posted outside of Fictional.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.