News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Weird video in psychology class

Started by bandit957, April 16, 2021, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

This is a longshot, but I wonder if anyone remembers this.

I took a psychology class in college in 1993 or 1994, and they showed us a bizarre video that was clearly from the 1970s. The weird part was where some psychologist or someone addressed a group of college-aged young women and said he was going to give them a test that administered an electric shock. Then they all started muttering among themselves in fear. Then the video showed two photos of this psychologist guy that kept alternating with each other. In one photo, he had a friendly smile. In the other, he had a sinister grin. The photos were only of his face (I don't think it had his neck) and were a monochrome on a black background. As the photos alternated, weird buzzer tones played as the narrator talked.

Anyone else ever see this video?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SectorZ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Sounds like this, but I am guessing no because it's similar but substantially different to what you're asking about.

Max Rockatansky

kurumi

This sounds like an origin story.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Probably was something weird your professor came up with. Most likely got a grant for it, even.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GCrites

I don't remember that video specifically but these '70s shock experiments were a big topic in '90s intro psychology classes.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on April 16, 2021, 06:41:50 PM
This is a longshot, but I wonder if anyone remembers this.

I took a psychology class in college in 1993 or 1994, and they showed us a bizarre video that was clearly from the 1970s. The weird part was where some psychologist or someone addressed a group of college-aged young women and said he was going to give them a test that administered an electric shock. Then they all started muttering among themselves in fear. Then the video showed two photos of this psychologist guy that kept alternating with each other. In one photo, he had a friendly smile. In the other, he had a sinister grin. The photos were only of his face (I don't think it had his neck) and were a monochrome on a black background. As the photos alternated, weird buzzer tones played as the narrator talked.

Anyone else ever see this video?
No, but that's terrifying.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.