News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Longest stretch of elevated freeway or highway in the Us

Started by achilles765, March 10, 2024, 06:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

achilles765

I found myself womdering this and figured that my fellow forum members might be able to provide some insight.
What are some of the longest stretches of continuously elevated highway in the US? I don't mean things like the lake ponchartrain causeway or the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel. I mean the longest stretches of over mostly land elevated freeway. Or even non freeways. I immediately think of Bus US 90 on the Westbank which is elevated for a good 5 or 6 miles. Or the double decks on I 10 in San Antonio. But are there more? Maybe ones even longer?
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Big John

I-65 NE of Mobile AL as 6.08 miles long with west end consisting of tied arches known as the Dolly Pardon bridge

oscar

I-10 in Louisiana across the Atchafalaya basin is about 18 miles of continuous viaduct. It includes some river crossings, but it's mostly over swamp.

There are similar, but shorter, swamp freeways like the south end of I-55, and part of I-10 in Florida.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

When the I-95/I-395/I-495 interchange was rebuilt, VDOT touted that one of the flyovers was one of the longest bridges over land in the state.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

IIRC, a discussion on his in here a decade or two ago had the combined I-10/I-55 westward from New Orleans, LA being the longest continual bridging in the USA.

Mike

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: mgk920 on March 10, 2024, 11:15:10 AM
IIRC, a discussion on his in here a decade or two ago had the combined I-10/I-55 westward from New Orleans, LA being the longest continual bridging in the USA.

Mike

Actually, going back to the MTR days, the group had determined that a combination of driving I-55/I-10/I-310 would have a driver elevated for over 30 miles.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mgk920

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 11, 2024, 07:23:11 PM

Mike

Actually, going back to the MTR days, the group had determined that a combination of driving I-55/I-10/I-310 would have a driver elevated for over 30 miles.

Yepper!

Mike

texaskdog

Mike
I've come in on 10 from Texas twice but we need to do 55 I think!

Rothman

Mike

Huh.  Did that drive just some weeks ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

I'm quite familiar with the Chicago Skyway, which checks in at 8 miles long.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CtrlAltDel

Mike

38 miles if I didn't make a mistake:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on March 12, 2024, 09:47:57 PM
I'm quite familiar with the Chicago Skyway, which checks in at 8 miles long.

Most of the Chicago Skyway is on solid fill.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.