News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

12' Penske truck from CA to FL via Albuquerque & Austin

Started by salvatore, September 25, 2013, 04:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvatore

Hi everyone!

First, I enjoyed reading many road-related info on this forum. Decided to be a member so I can ask this questions (as well as future participation)   :clap:

Short story... I was supposed to Fly to Florida for a wedding to attend but ended up going with 12 foot Penske truck (front end looks like a van) for my mother-in-law she's moving from Riverside, CA to near Tampa, FL for her health reason so I volunteered to go alone bringing her minimal household stuff.

I sometimes like to take rural roads if something I like to do, I already experienced driving "America's Lonest Highway -U.S. 50) between Ely and Fallon in Nevada. Sometimes I have to take interstates as well.

This will be during early November.

1- Sunday 11/3, pick up Penske 12' truck from Sacramento, CA and drive empty to Riverside, CA to load it up there. I'm thinking of taking I-5 to LA area, I-210 East to CA-57 then CA-71 and finally CA-91 to reach that destination. Is this a good drive especially it would be on Sunday? (Trying to avoid traffic in Southern CA  :wow:).

2- Monday 11/4, Honestly I have no idea which is better driving from Riverside, CA to Albuquerque, NM!

The options would be I-215 north to I-15 to Barstow then I-40 all the way to ABQ. The second option is I-10 to Phoenix, AZ-202m AZ-87 to Payson, AZ-260 to Heber, AZ-277 and 377 to Holbrook, AZ then take I-40 to ABQ.

or I-10 from Riverside to Exit 117 for CA-62 north to Twentynine Palms and take local road North Amboy Road to Historic U.S. 66 to get on I-40 near Needles, CA.

3- Thursday 11/7, Which routing is best from Albuquerque, NM to Austin, TX (specifically west Austin along U.S. 290 near Lake Travis)?

4- Sunday 11/10, Planning to drive 71/290 from Austin to meet up I-10 all the way probably to Mobile, AL where I'll stay overnight at hotel

5- Monday 11/11. Planning to drive I-10 from Mobile to I-75 in Lake City then head south on I-75

6- Along these routes I mentioned above, what attractions to stop for and must eat unique food?

Oh I plan to stay with family/friends for couple days both in Albuquerque and Austin in case you were wondering why few days apart  :hmmm:

Anyone have experience with 12 foot Penske truck as to gas mileage? how many miles per tank on average?

I know I asked alot, hope to decide which routing I would take after hearing ideas and suggestions from you all.

Thanks in Advance!

Salvatore

JREwing78

Penske's site has the specs on fuel economy and gas tank size you need:
http://www.pensketruckrental.com/moving-trucks.html

I frankly wouldn't expect any better than the 12mpg figure, and would fully expect mileage to dip to the 6-8mpg range in the mountains.

salvatore

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 25, 2013, 09:19:29 PM
Penske's site has the specs on fuel economy and gas tank size you need:
http://www.pensketruckrental.com/moving-trucks.html

I frankly wouldn't expect any better than the 12mpg figure, and would fully expect mileage to dip to the 6-8mpg range in the mountains.

Hence is why I wanted to see other's experience as to how many miles to a tank in this area and to east to give me ideas and plan fuel expenses  :-/

froggie

If you need to fill up in/near Mississippi, stop at the Flying J at the Canal Rd exit off I-10 (Exit 31).

Quote6- Along these routes I mentioned above, what attractions to stop for and must eat unique food?

Also in Mississippi:  The Shed.  Awesome BBQ.  2 locations that wouldn't be too far off I-10:  one on MS 53 about a mile west of US 49 (about ~5 miles north of I-10), the other on US 90 near Gautier.

corco

I'd do I-10 to AZ 87. Both routes should take about the same amount of time, and the highway through Payson is a heck of a lot more scenic. Either route will be doable in a 12' truck- by the time you got to AZ 260 you'll be comfortable enough driving the truck to be on a two lane road, and those are pretty good roads (no traffic, wide, especially on the x77s. 87 is a divided highway.). The slightly lower speed limit will help your fuel economy- I know when I drive moving vans I don't typically go 75 anyway, I try to stay around 65 just to save gas, so you won't lose much time off-interstate.

I'd echo Ewing that if you get 12 MPG out of a loaded 12' Penske, I'd be shocked, especially if it's not a diesel.

salvatore

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2013, 12:43:32 AM
If you need to fill up in/near Mississippi, stop at the Flying J at the Canal Rd exit off I-10 (Exit 31).

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind and in my iPhone note  :nod:

Quote6- Along these routes I mentioned above, what attractions to stop for and must eat unique food?

Also in Mississippi:  The Shed.  Awesome BBQ.  2 locations that wouldn't be too far off I-10:  one on MS 53 about a mile west of US 49 (about ~5 miles north of I-10), the other on US 90 near Gautier.

Sounds interesting...I'll make that plan! Thanks again!  :wave:

salvatore

Quote from: corco on September 26, 2013, 01:14:33 AM
I'd do I-10 to AZ 87. Both routes should take about the same amount of time, and the highway through Payson is a heck of a lot more scenic. Either route will be doable in a 12' truck- by the time you got to AZ 260 you'll be comfortable enough driving the truck to be on a two lane road, and those are pretty good roads (no traffic, wide, especially on the x77s. 87 is a divided highway.). The slightly lower speed limit will help your fuel economy- I know when I drive moving vans I don't typically go 75 anyway, I try to stay around 65 just to save gas, so you won't lose much time off-interstate.

I'd echo Ewing that if you get 12 MPG out of a loaded 12' Penske, I'd be shocked, especially if it's not a diesel.

Thank you Corco...This section sounds good and it might be set for this Riverside-ABQ route  :nod:

I always set my schedule as if I'm driving 55MPH to allow some leeway time (rest area, gas, snacks, sightseeing, etc...) and of course with the gas price, I plan to take an easy with gas mileage! The truck would be LESS than half full so that might help as well  :clap:

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on September 26, 2013, 01:14:33 AM
I'd do I-10 to AZ 87. Both routes should take about the same amount of time, and the highway through Payson is a heck of a lot more scenic.

I disagree.  I would do US-66 and I-40.  66 has a lot of cute towns on it that may be taken, and I find the Amboy loop of 66 to be quite scenic.  as for I-40, yeah there are a lot of trucks...

but Payson is a shit-horror of a town; it's a sprawl without an epicenter.  come for the Walmart, stay for the speed cameras.  260 also may be under heavy construction just east of there, and where it is not, it may be a slow two-laner.

when I drove an RV back from Albuquerque, we did 40 to 95 to 62.  that avoided the large climb west of Needles.  going the other way, the Amboy Road to 66 may be the more valid consideration.  95 has hardly any traffic, and 62 has even less.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.