News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Iconic Radio DJs in Your Area

Started by Henry, January 16, 2024, 11:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

We've had TV weathermen and news anchors covered, now it's radio DJs this time. Who are the most iconic ones in your area?

I loved listening to Musicradio 89 WLS, so my answers would be John Records Landecker, Brant Miller, Tom Kent, Steve King, Steve Dahl and Gary Meier.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

People still listen to the radio?  I haven't in at least four years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I seldom listen to local radio with the exception of WTOP, which is an all-news station to which I primarily listen for the traffic and weather reports, and they don't have DJs because of their format.

Overall, I'd say the most "iconic" DJ here is probably a former one, Doug Tracht, better known as the Greaseman. I put that word in quotation marks because some people would disagree with the word "iconic" and would probably favor "infamous" or "notorious"—in 1986 he was suspended from DC-101 for an offensive comment about the then-new Martin Luther King holiday and he was later fired from a different station, 94.7, for an offensive comment involving dragging black people behind trucks. But I classify him as "iconic" in the sense that it didn't matter whether you listened to his show (I didn't) because the odds were that in any given week you'd hear about something from his show. (Sort of like the scene in Howard Stern's movie where people who like his show listen for an average of an hour a day and people who don't like his show listen for an average of two hours a day, both groups saying they want to hear what he'll say next.)

The other longtime "iconic" DJ in the DC area is probably Donnie Simpson, who airs a show on one of the black-oriented stations.

I don't really know who's on the radio here now except for Elliot in the Morning on DC-101.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

davewiecking

In DC, I'm also going to mention Johnny Holliday. He was an iconic DJ in NYC in the 60's (in the Rock 'n' Roll HoF), then moved to WWDC in 1969. Later drifted into sports; did Maryland basketball and football, and also some pregame and announcing work with both the Senators and 34 years later the Nationals. Just perused Wikipedia, and found out he did a lot of other work around the country. Was PA announcer in Cleveland when they played the Cowboys 2 days after Kennedy assassination, and was told to NOT say "Dallas", only "Cowboys". Still alive and kicking, so I'm going to say he "is" an icon.

1995hoo

Quote from: davewiecking on January 17, 2024, 08:58:28 AM
In DC, I'm also going to mention Johnny Holliday. He was an iconic DJ in NYC in the 60's (in the Rock 'n' Roll HoF), then moved to WWDC in 1969. Later drifted into sports; did Maryland basketball and football, and also some pregame and announcing work with both the Senators and 34 years later the Nationals. Just perused Wikipedia, and found out he did a lot of other work around the country. Was PA announcer in Cleveland when they played the Cowboys 2 days after Kennedy assassination, and was told to NOT say "Dallas", only "Cowboys". Still alive and kicking, so I'm going to say he "is" an icon.

I didn't know he had ever worked as a DJ—I knew him only as an announcer on the Nationals' pre- and post-game TV shows.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SP Cook

Quote from: Rothman on January 17, 2024, 07:00:34 AM
People still listen to the radio?  I haven't in at least four years.

This.  And even if you do listen to the radio, outside of the largest cities, the only local talent are on the AM station(s) that talk about local politics or sports.  We have not had a local DJ in my market in 30 years.  It is all automation. 

bing101

Los Angeles is one where Radio DJ's are seen as legends from Ryan Seacrest and Rick Dees at KIIS-FM to Real Don Steele at KHJ-AM and KRTH-FM.

Note Ryan Seacrest show originated from Los Angeles but his show is nationwide on Iheart owned stations.

Flint1979

For Flint and Saginaw, Saginaw has WILZ 104.5 which is a Classic Rock station and they have a guy named Stan Parman on in the afternoon's that has been in the area for over 30 years as a radio DJ.

Flint has WRSR 103.9 The Fox which is also Classic Rock and they have perhaps the best known DJ in the area in the mornings, his name is Johnny Burke. Also Jeremy Fenech is on WRSR and he is a very funny person with a great sense of humor. I'm actually know Jeremy personally he is a great guy and well known in the Flint area.

Here's a clip of Fenech interviewing Vince Neil of Motley Crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhbZcDGuITc&t=243s

TheHighwayMan3561

MSP: Some more recent onces include Tom Barnard (KQRS-FM, classic rock), Dave Ryan (KDWB-FM, top 40 hits), Brian Oake and Mary Lucia (KCMP-FM "The Current", operated by Minnesota Public Radio)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Infamous DC DJ:  The Greaseman.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Billy F 1988

Ones I can name in Missoula come from a handful of stations, both AM and FM:

- Peter Christian: How can I start this list without this man? Back in November 2023, Christian celebrated 50 years of broadcasting in Missoula. He came to the Missoula market to work at KLCY before being the main newsman of KGVO. He's also the Montana Grizzlies P.A., so if you come to a Griz homegame during the season and you see them get a first down, you'll hear Peter belt out "FIRST DOWWWWWN....(then the crowd chants) MONTANA!"

- Aaron "Tallest DJ" Traylor: He's called that because of his 6 foot plus stature. He jockeyed at 107.5 FM (KENR) in Missoula probably since its beginning in the early 2000's. I was part of an interview Traylor had set up with a group of special needs men forming our Special Olympics basketball team, the JOBS Thunder. JOBS is an acronym for Job Opportunity Based Services, a d.b.a. service of Building New Horizons owned by Michelle and Stuart Pickell.

- Scott Richards and Paula Parks: These two paired up to host the morning show on KGGL 93.3 FM (Eagle 93.3) for a good number of years. 20 at least. They were the first DJ's I've met in person when they came out to Frenchtown to host a raffle for a Dr. Pepper go-kart. I ended up getting a t-shirt during the raffle.

- Kim Murray: I've met Kim as a fellow attendant of Cross Point Community Church many years back. She co-hosted the KYSS-FM (94.9) morning program along with Tom Hershey. Best thing with her is that she even invited my dad, former stepmom and I to a Buddy Jewel and Trace Adkins concert at the Adams Center. Such a shame, though, I couldn't get autographs with these fellas 'cause we pretty much had to bolt on out of the parking lot that night.

And, to round off my "iconic" DJ's:

- Craig Johnson and Allan Kestler: What a great pair this was. Former morning hosts on KZOQ 100.1 FM. They emceed the Special Olympics Five Valleys Area Games opening ceremonies for many years. After Kestler retired, Johnson moved on to The Trail 103.3 FM (KDTR-FM). I briefly interviewed him while writing an article for "Apostrophe" magazine published by AWARE, Inc. of Anaconda, MT. Johnson, during my brief talk with him, was emceeing the National Down Syndrome Association Buddy Walk at Silver Park next to the Osprey (now Paddleheads) baseball stadium.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

dlsterner

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 17, 2024, 08:19:18 AM
Overall, I'd say the most "iconic" DJ here is probably a former one, Doug Tracht, better known as the Greaseman. I put that word in quotation marks because some people would disagree with the word "iconic" and would probably favor "infamous" or "notorious"—in 1986 he was suspended from DC-101 for an offensive comment about the then-new Martin Luther King holiday and he was later fired from a different station, 94.7, for an offensive comment involving dragging black people behind trucks. But I classify him as "iconic" in the sense that it didn't matter whether you listened to his show (I didn't) because the odds were that in any given week you'd hear about something from his show. (Sort of like the scene in Howard Stern's movie where people who like his show listen for an average of an hour a day and people who don't like his show listen for an average of two hours a day, both groups saying they want to hear what he'll say next.)

Quote from: Rothman on January 17, 2024, 07:05:28 PM

I was also a Greaseman listener.  First listened to him in Jacksonville FL (late 70s) and again in Maryland (80s-90s).  I would say that he qualified as "iconic" in this region, as his stories were often the subject of "water cooler" conversations at work.  Incidentally, Greaseman replaced Howard Stern at DC-101 after Howard was fired for his Air Florida comments - and he got better ratings than his predecessor.  He's pretty much retired these days, but still occasionally posts short videos on his Facebook channel.

Rothman

Quote from: dlsterner on January 18, 2024, 12:29:34 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 17, 2024, 08:19:18 AM

Quote from: Rothman on January 17, 2024, 07:05:28 PM

I was also a Greaseman listener.  First listened to him in Jacksonville FL (late 70s) and again in Maryland (80s-90s).  I would say that he qualified as "iconic" in this region, as his stories were often the subject of "water cooler" conversations at work.  Incidentally, Greaseman replaced Howard Stern at DC-101 after Howard was fired for his Air Florida comments - and he got better ratings than his predecessor.  He's pretty much retired these days, but still occasionally posts short videos on his Facebook channel.
Well, yes, he was kicked off the air for his racist comment.  In the late 1990s, he played a Lauryn Hill song and then said something like, "No wonder they get dragged behind trucks" right after the atrocious hate crime against James Byrd, Jr.

He attempted to apologize, but was deemed persona non grata and he even had to leave the country to find another job.

Personally, when I moved to the area, I originally liked him and was amazed by his storytelling skills and humor on the fly.  But, I think Stern's popularity pushed him to become more and more raunchy/controversial.  I stopped listening to him and it was only a few months later that he was fired.

Rushmeister

Quote from: Henry on January 16, 2024, 11:58:58 PM
We've had TV weathermen and news anchors covered, now it's radio DJs this time. Who are the most iconic ones in your area?

I loved listening to Musicradio 89 WLS, so my answers would be John Records Landecker, Brant Miller, Tom Kent, Steve King, Steve Dahl and Gary Meier.

Did you purposely leave out Larry Lujack?  He was truly a superjock, if there ever was one.  Also, Animal Stories was a cherished part of my youth!

Indianapolis: I'll start with this personal favorite...     Adam Smasher, WNAP

But there are a number of others that could be listed.  At WFBQ: Bob Kevoian and Tom Griswold (yes, they were jocks, too, in the early days), Ace Cosby, and Jimmy (Mad Dog) Matis.

...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

bandit957

There were a bunch of people on Q-102 in Cincinnati who were popular.

Even WCLU had some.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.