Can anyone identify this mystery interchange?

Started by Jordan117, May 08, 2017, 02:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 09, 2017, 11:47:14 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 09, 2017, 11:43:49 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 09, 2017, 11:37:12 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 09, 2017, 07:37:55 PM
And thus, "roadgeek" infiltrated the public lexicon.

Roadgeek was in Radiohead fans' lexicon since the release of "In Rainbows".

(Look at the cover art.)

You'll have to help me out on this one.  :confused:

My download didn't come with cover art, and I'm crap at lyrics.

There was an official cover/booklet in pdf.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/In_Rainbows_Official_Cover.jpg

So what exactly is going on? Not sure what the connection is between "roadgeek" and this album cover (though I do like the album cover regardless).

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: jakeroot on May 09, 2017, 11:50:21 PMSo what exactly is going on? Not sure what the connection is between "roadgeek" and this album cover (though I do like the album cover regardless).

The font.  It's Roadgeek 2007 Mittelschrift (an attempted clone of a German highway sign font).

formulanone

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 10, 2017, 12:02:47 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 09, 2017, 11:50:21 PMSo what exactly is going on? Not sure what the connection is between "roadgeek" and this album cover (though I do like the album cover regardless).

The font.  It's Roadgeek 2007 Mittelschrift (an attempted clone of a German highway sign font).

Interesting...I would have just pegged it for a Arial/Helvetica or something in the "basic" sans-serif font family.

kurumi

This is blowing up now: Spin, NME, Reddit bestof... Mapmikey basically doxxed a freeway interchange, but for good instead of evil.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

When should we expect Mapmikey to be canonized?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 08, 2017, 08:54:49 PM
I have figured it out...

I-84 EB at I-91 in Hartford...

https://goo.gl/maps/ML8XSqJ56RD2

Nicely done!

I have been through  there a few times, but not enough to be able to make an identification like that.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

formulanone

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on May 11, 2017, 04:15:45 PM
Mental Floss has also published a similar article.

I like the fact that mapmikey's original comment has gone from "The middle BGS has a two word control city" to "The middle BGS [Big Green Sign] has a two word control city" to "the [green sign in the middle] has a two word control city". "Roadgeek" might now be in the public lexicon, but "BGS" certainly isn't.

froggie

BGS is also a misnomer.  Most roadgeeks use it, but it's also not proper terminology.

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on May 12, 2017, 09:44:49 AM
BGS is also a misnomer.  Most roadgeeks use it, but it's also not proper terminology.

Correct.  Most engineers I've talked to have never heard of "BGS," even ones who design them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.