This date in history...

Started by hbelkins, June 22, 2020, 03:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on June 22, 2020, 08:36:37 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 04:12:42 PM
  It takes religion, politics, non-traffic VMS notices, and Ala.nland–and rolls it all up ...

Not to mention history and current events.

A part of me wants to call it sacrilegious, but then I remember how everyone always says "God has a sense of humor".  Well, if that's true, then there's NO WAY wouldn't be laughing at that sign.

I respectfully disagree. That particular aspect of Ala.nland has always been one that I have tremendous disdain for, and if I ever were to stop coming to this forum, that would certainly be among the reasons why.

There are lots of reasons to have disdain for Alanland. The fact that it makes no sense at all should probably be high up there, right under the fact that they make all sports players wear ponchos as uniforms and the use of compressed Series E(M) for everything.

To answer a question nobody asked, one aspect of Alanland has actually survived into the present day. In my Dungeons & Dragons game, the capital city is named Quindaro, as a nod to Alanland's capital (not that anyone but me gets the joke). So in some sense, a small part of Alanland is still alive and well.

(Maybe some day I should make a thread about that. There are sign drawings, after all.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2020, 05:51:47 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 22, 2020, 08:36:37 PM
  It takes religion, politics, non-traffic VMS notices, and Ala.nland–and rolls it all up ...

Not to mention history and current events.

A part of me wants to call it sacrilegious, but then I remember how everyone always says "God has a sense of humor".  Well, if that's true, then there's NO WAY wouldn't be laughing at that sign.

I respectfully disagree. That particular aspect of Ala.nland has always been one that I have tremendous disdain for, and if I ever were to stop coming to this forum, that would certainly be among the reasons why.

There are lots of reasons to have disdain for Alanland. The fact that it makes no sense at all should probably be high up there, right under the fact that they make all sports players wear ponchos as uniforms and the use of compressed Series E(M) for everything.

To answer a question nobody asked, one aspect of Alanland has actually survived into the present day. In my Dungeons & Dragons game, the capital city is named Quindaro, as a nod to Alanland's capital (not that anyone but me gets the joke). So in some sense, a small part of Alanland is still alive and well.

(Maybe some day I should make a thread about that. There are sign drawings, after all.)

Didn't Alanland have it's own website for awhile?

Scott5114

It was a wiki on Wikia. I had a link to it in my signature for a while. I have no idea if it's still up. I kind of have to think the folks at Wikia wised up and deleted it by now.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2020, 06:37:58 PM
It was a wiki on Wikia. I had a link to it in my signature for a while. I have no idea if it's still up. I kind of have to think the folks at Wikia wised up and deleted it by now.

It looks like there was two imposter Alanlands that have been on Wikia since. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 23, 2020, 06:40:38 PM

Break out the Stuckey's pecan log, because Quindaropedia still active.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on June 23, 2020, 07:08:48 PM

How is there no Goat Jesus stub? 

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2020, 02:26:32 PM
Yeah, as soon as I typed that, I realized it might not be true.  OTOH, I do think we religious people can take the little things in life way too seriously sometimes.

Well, normally I would respond "guilty as charged", but I know it is important to keep a sense of humor, and I seem to manage to do so without much trouble. However, 2020 is nothing if not a year that's made me think I should be taking my faith more seriously, not less.

kphoger

I felt obliged to make the edit below (no offense to Scott5114):

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I am and am not surprised...and I'm not just saying that because of the meme.

CoreySamson

Please forgive me for being a jerk (noob question), but what exactly is Alanland?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 24, 2020, 05:00:22 PM
Please forgive me for being a jerk (noob question), but what exactly is Alanland?

A thread in Fictional Highways that was so utterly and absolutely ridiculous that people started having fun with it, and ultimately turned it into a major forum joke: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720.0

Roadgeekteen

I'm still trying to figure out that question myself.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on June 24, 2020, 05:02:42 PM

A thread in Fictional Highways that was so utterly and absolutely ridiculous that people started having fun with it, and ultimately turned it into a major forum joke: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720.0

After the moderators locked the thread, people kept making Alanland references, to the point that at one time the moderators set the forum software to treat "Alanland" as a "forbidden word." I don't remember what the word that replaced it was, though, and I note that you can set the forum to leave words uncensored (which is how I now have it set, so I wouldn't see what the replacement was anyway).

Edited to add: I searched the forum for my posts containing the word "forbidden" and found it. For a while, the forum censored "Alanland" as "Magical Place of Destiny." There was a thread about it: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21384.0
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 24, 2020, 05:16:14 PM

After the moderators locked the thread, people kept making Alanland references, to the point that at one time the moderators set the forum software to treat "Alanland" as a "forbidden word." I don't remember what the word that replaced it was, though, and I note that you can set the forum to leave words uncensored (which is how I now have it set, so I wouldn't see what the replacement was anyway).
I used to support unlocking the Alanland thread and banning discussion of Alanland outside of it back in 2017-18 but people are better now.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Magical Place of Destiny
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 24, 2020, 05:21:09 PM

I used to support unlocking the Alanland thread and banning discussion of Alanland outside of it back in 2017-18 but people are better now.

Goat Jesus saves and doesn't. 

formulanone

Ah yes, the time I found a goat and a Keys Shield. A truly magical evening.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 24, 2020, 05:09:33 PM

That could be a legal and could be an illegal thing to do, except every other Saturday when the blue moon is full.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on June 24, 2020, 09:29:07 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 24, 2020, 05:09:33 PM

That could be a legal and could be an illegal thing to do, except every other Saturday when the blue moon is full.

But it is and isn't mandatory during a Harvest Moon.

kphoger

Harvest Moon is the official agricultural video game of Ala.nland.  The release version officially approved by statute (alan.alanland.gov/statutes/rev2010/sec2/hrc/408/) is the 1992 single by Neil Young, and it is only approved to be played at 33 RPM, regardless of format.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 25, 2020, 11:46:10 AM
Harvest Moon is the official agricultural video game of Ala.nland.  The release version officially approved by statute (alan.alanland.gov/statutes/rev2010/sec2/hrc/408/) is the 1992 single by Neil Young, and it is only approved to be played at 33 RPM, regardless of format.

And here I was about to make a Stardew Valley reference, but I didn't think anyone would get it.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 25, 2020, 04:15:20 PM
I was about to make a Stardew Valley reference, but I didn't think anyone would get it.

Go ahead.  You might be correct.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.