News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The annual "Are you working Thanksgiving?" thread (VI edition - 2018)

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, November 08, 2018, 07:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Now that the annual DST thread has been closed down (until March next year) and seeing the calendar, it's time to get a new edition of the "Are you working Thanksgiving?" thread. This time I'm beating ZLoth to create it :sombrero:, he almost forgot to do this last year.

And as always, the fourth Thursday of November is a normal work day in Spain. There's no fixed date for a de facto Thanksgiving, but what is sure is that is earlier. A large group of towns celebrate it on August 15th, others on September 8th. Both dates are linked to Mary, mother of Jesus: August 15th is the Assumption and September 8th is the Nativity. They are commonly known as the "Virgin of August" and the "Virgin of September" (and not long ago I found the first village which holds their festivals explicity in honor of the Virgin of September). But anyway this is too religious for this forum, which like politics is a toxic topic. The question is as always, who is working Thanksgiving this year? Of course, the people working at the arenas/stadia where the following matches are scheduled (Times per my forum time which matches that of wherever Big Rig Steve is now, and since he is taking a few days off in Rochelle IL they are Central. They are 24-hour too):

11:30: Bears @ Lions (NFL)
15:30: Redskins @ Cowboys (NFL)
18:30: Mississippi State @ Ole Miss (College [American] Football)
19:30: Falcons @ Saints (NFL)
Various College Basketball games
No NBA or NHL games

Previous editions, all started by ZLoth: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

I don't know whether I'm scheduled to work it or not, but I already told my boss not to have any big plans for me that week, because I won't be there no matter what schedule she posts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

abefroman329

I am not. I was going to work the day after Thanksgiving, which is not a company holiday, but I just learned I have 7 additional PTO days I need to take before the end of the year that I haven't accounted for anywhere.

ET21

Nope, I took Black Friday off as well. Had to work Black Friday last year and it wasted my morning, did absolutely nothing to only be paid a half day.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Eth

Both Thursday and Friday are annual company holidays, so I will not be working.

hbelkins

Not unless there is some sort of inclement weather or other emergency-type situation that requires me to work. Thursday and Friday are holidays for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Not working Thanksgiving, as far as I know.  I'm more like office staff than field service nowadays, so my schedule usually follows that of "the ladies up front".  Even though I've been covering a different position on Thursdays for a co-worker who has been taking that day off, it won't matter:  she's taking Thursdays off to use up some PTO, and she can't claim PTO on a day she's entitled to holiday pay anyway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Short answer: no.  I will be in Massachusetts visiting family & friends Nov. 21-25.  Taking the 21st & 23rd as paid vacation days.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ce929wax

I am not, but I am not sure if we are doing a household Thanksgiving on Thursday or not.  We have a family get together, but that is scheduled for Friday.

TheHighwayMan3561

I asked off once again this year. The past two Thanksgivings I had asked off but was begged to work early morning shifts, which I accepted.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

I'll be staying home, unless one of the local eateries is serving dinner'
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheHighwayMan3561

Your NFL slate for that day, since the OP didn't include it:

11:30: Bears/Lions
3:30: Redskins/Cowboys
7:30: Falcons/Saints

Also have plenty of college basketball and the CFB Egg Bowl between Ole Miss and Mississippi State at 6:30.

sparker

GF will be in L.A. visiting mom & older sister; she invariably ends up performing nursing and/or physical therapy duties for both, so it likely won't be a fun trip -- one that I'm thankful to miss!  I'll close down the store for the day and cook up my usual Greek-spiced brined turkey breast with cornbread & wild rice stuffing for a bunch of friends and reopen for the so-called "Black Friday" the next morning.  Hope all you posters out there -- and your families -- have a good holiday weekend!  :cool:   

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 08, 2018, 11:53:22 PM

Also have plenty of college basketball and the CFB Egg Bowl between Ole Miss and Mississippi State at 6:30.

Since I haven't done research. I'm amending my OP. I assume times are Eastern, so I'm substracting one hour per my current forum time.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

slorydn1

I'll be on vacation from Fri Nov 16 through Tuesday Nov 27 so nope, not working Thanksgiving.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

US 89

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 09, 2018, 03:46:55 AM
Since I haven't done research. I'm amending my OP. I assume times are Eastern, so I'm substracting one hour per my current forum time.
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 08, 2018, 07:31:12 AM
10:30: Bears @ Lions (NFL)
14:30: Redskins @ Cowboys (NFL)
17:30: Mississippi State @ Ole Miss (College [American] Football)
18:30: Falcons @ Saints (NFL)

Nope. What you posted is Mountain time (the best time zone, IMO).

CNGL-Leudimin

Ouch. I thought TheHighwayMan394 used Eastern as it's the most used for sports events across the USA, but he actually used his time zone (and thus the time my forum time is currently set to).

Mr_Northside

Well.... that's a pretty NFC heavy slate of games, or to say totally NFC heavy.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cu2010

I'm supposed to work on Thanksgiving, but as I'm on medical leave right now I don't know if I will be back to work before then.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 09, 2018, 03:10:14 PM

Well.... that's a pretty NFC heavy slate of games, or to say totally NFC heavy.

I've noticed since the NFL relaxed the AFC = CBS and NFC = FOX rules that Thanksgiving has been overwhelmingly NFC-heavy since they haven't had to shoehorn an AFC team into the afternoon games anymore.

Fun fact: the AFC North would never have played on a Thanksgiving afternoon at Dallas or Detroit under the old TV format. Their every-four-year matchups with Dallas and Detroit always coincided with years which FOX had the rights to that respective game.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

NFL? What's that? The "No (American) Flag League?"

Haven't watched a down this year, except if a game's been on when I've been changing channels and I accidentally saw it. I used to be a big Bengals fan, but started watching NASCAR on Sunday afternoons more than 20 years ago and haven't gone back. I still hate the Cowboys, Redskins, 49ers, Browns, Steelers, Browns v 1.0 (Ravens), Titans (the former Oilers) and the Cheatriots, but have no use for the NFL these days for reasons that will be obvious to anyone who knows me. Haven't watched a Super Bowl since the the last time the Bengals were in it (1989?).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Ah, NASCAR: The Only Sport More Boring than Soccer™

or

NASCAR: Because Turning Right Is Hard™

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.