News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CFI proposed for Randall Rd/Algonquin Rd

Started by Stratuscaster, January 21, 2012, 12:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratuscaster

A co-worker saw some portable VMS signs touting "Get Randall Going" up in his area of Lake In The Hills, IL. Did some investigation and found this:

http://www.randallroad.info

Interesting read. They are holding public meetings to get input and provide info, and it seems the "preferred" choice for this intersection of Randall and Algonquin Roads is a continuous flow intersection. I had never seen one before; luckily there are plenty of PDFs and images and simulations to explain it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.17689,-88.334198&ll=42.175721,-88.334874&spn=0.006448,0.010546&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=6&z=17

After staring at it for a it, I'm not convinced it's the way to go - but that's likely just unfamiliarity with the concept at this point.

Thoughts? Anyone here actually experience one of these "live"?

hobsini2

The concept seems rational but i think it would not go over well on Randall due to the number of lights already in place. Seems like this would add 2 more lights for the left turning vehicles.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Stratuscaster

I wondered if a Michigan Left setup in this area would work better - the number of driveways and access makes everything difficult.

hobsini2

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 22, 2012, 11:37:56 AM
I wondered if a Michigan Left setup in this area would work better - the number of driveways and access makes everything difficult.
A Michigan Left would not work at that intersection due to too many businesses at the intersection along with not enough ROW to make a U-Turn place. Also the traffic on Randall Rd is too busy for that type of intersection. The only way i would have the intersection is with a double left turn lane and a red left arrow.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Stratuscaster

It might work with the closure of some of the driveways. As it sits with the CFI suggestion, they are closing some access, making some right-in/right-out, and eliminating the bank on the NE corner and the gas station on the SW corner to accommodate the left turn lanes.

Note they also want to widen Randall to 3 lanes each direction through here as well - wouldn't that open up space for a Michigan Left setup - provided they still left a median?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.