News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Repeal night limits

Started by ethanman62187, October 15, 2011, 12:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdb1234

Despite living a short distance from a state park full of deer, I have had only one encounter with them.

Scott5114

I am in favor of repealing night limits because of how difficult it can be for a motorist to determine when they apply. My first speeding ticket was in Texas for a violation of the night speed limit on I-40 near Shamrock. The sun had mostly gone down (as I was headed eastbound I don't know by how much) but it was still rather light out.

And see, that's the thing–given that there's not a sharp transition between day and night, where do you draw the line? At the point where the sun is no longer visible? At the point when the bottom edge of the disc is touching the horizon? Civil twilight is useless to the motorist; while a cop might have a almanac listing the exact time for enforcement purposes I don't think we should expect random motorists to have to do that or calculate when the geometric center of the sun reaches 6° below the horizon. And of course the time of sunrise/sunset varies depending on the season, so posting "IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM to 7 AM" or some such is brain-damaged.

I think it's much better to expect the motorist to have the maturity to slow down as appropriate as it gets dark.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanman62187

I am in favor that Montana should do this too, like Texas.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.