News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highest speed limit with traffic lights

Started by ethanman62187, August 26, 2011, 03:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjb2002

60 mph in South Carolina - along SOUTHBOUND ROAD in eastern Lexington County.

vtk

Quote from: mjb2002 on September 03, 2011, 07:01:23 PM

That sounds like a road name with great potential for confusion, unless it's actually one-way southbound...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on September 04, 2011, 06:48:04 AM

That sounds like a road name with great potential for confusion, unless it's actually one-way southbound...

Looks like it's US 321, and parallels the old South Bound Railroad.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mjb2002

Quote from: NE2 on September 04, 2011, 08:11:45 AM
Quote from: vtk on September 04, 2011, 06:48:04 AM

Looks like it's US 321, and parallels the old South Bound Railroad.

It is US 321.

JREwing78

Michigan has a stretch of 4-lane M-53 expressway north around Romeo that's posted for 70 right up to each stoplight, then posted for 55 through the stoplights before going back up to 70. Or, at least it once did - I haven't been through there recently to see if that's still the case.

roadman65

Cypress Gardens Boulevard (FL SR 542) in Winter Haven, FL once had a 65 mph speed limits with a few signals on it.  Its since been dropped to 45 mph as development has boomed in that area.  The State Farm Insurance signal that flashed all the time except when the employees there went and left work it was operational is now working 24-7 due to a strip mall across the street.

Further south on US 27 in Broward County there is a signal north of the Miami- Dade County Line that is where 65 mph is posted.  Others along US 27 are common as well.   In FDOT D5 they drop all speed limits to 55 at signalized intersections, so along US 27 near Orlando you will see reduced speed signs along the way in 65 zones approaching these.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Steve on August 30, 2011, 10:01:39 PM
Best you get in the Northeast is Saw Mill River Parkway at 55 mph. Other roads have isolated lights, but that one has a couple of stretches with a few in a row.

I may be wrong, but I just drove that stretch yesterday, and I think the speed limit was 50.  (Needless to say, that was not the speed anyone - self included - was going.)  I *know* some of the other parkways in the area are 50 as opposed to 55.

froggie

QuoteBest you get in the Northeast is Saw Mill River Parkway at 55 mph. Other roads have isolated lights, but that one has a couple of stretches with a few in a row.

As others noted, you get that in numerous locations in New York State.  There's also a stretch of US 7 south of Rutland, VT that is 55 MPH with a few signals (most notably at VT 103).

The furthest northeast you're going to find signals along a road higher than 55 MPH are in West Virginia (US 340 north of Charles Town) and Virginia (US 29 south of Warrenton)....60 MPH in both cases.

ethanman62187

In Texas, 75 MPH is the highest speed limit with signalized intersections.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

deathtopumpkins

US 1 in Newbury, MA is posted at 55 (a rare find on a 2-laner in New England) and there are a couple signals nearby but I can't recall if the speed limit actually drops before each of them or not.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ethanman62187

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 23, 2011, 11:57:52 AM
US 1 in Newbury, MA is posted at 55 (a rare find on a 2-laner in New England) and there are a couple signals nearby but I can't recall if the speed limit actually drops before each of them or not.

Well, ok.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ethanman62187 on September 28, 2011, 03:07:07 PM

Well, ok.

how many years of Ph.D level research did it take you to come up with a response that insightful?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bigboi00069

Much of US 27 in Broward county has a 65mph speed limit. Even near populated places with traffic lights.

formulanone

Quote from: bigboi00069 on October 01, 2011, 10:17:22 AM
Much of US 27 in Broward county has a 65mph speed limit. Even near populated places with traffic lights.

If I recall, Griffin Road at US 27 has one of worst accident rates, so I think its 45mph at that intersection. (With lots of flashing warning lights, since southbound drivers might not have dealt with a traffic light since either South Bay, or further, if they came off Alligator Alley.)

roadman65

Quote from: realjd on August 29, 2011, 11:50:27 AM
There are plenty of 65mph roads here in Florida with traffic lights.

Not in FDOT District 5. That is why the speed limit on US 27 dropped from 65 to 55 in parts south of Clermont.  Then in Polk County the 65 mph maximum was lowered to 60 in the part from Haines City to US 192.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.