News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2018 Winter Olympics

Started by Buck87, February 05, 2018, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 11, 2018, 08:29:49 PM
Is anyone else partially Dissapointed with this year's coverage amount?

What do you mean by "disappointed"? Seems about normal coverage. I'm personally more annoyed that Comcast has made Olympics 4K coverage only available through OnDemand. Wish it were just a channel.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jakeroot on February 11, 2018, 08:56:43 PM

What do you mean by "disappointed"? Seems about normal coverage. I'm personally more annoyed that Comcast has made Olympics 4K coverage only available through OnDemand. Wish it were just a channel.
I didn't see the downhill skiing last night on at all and I heard they cut a portion of the opening ceremony out more than usual.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Alps

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 11, 2018, 09:07:14 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 11, 2018, 08:56:43 PM

I didn't see the downhill skiing last night on at all and I heard they cut a portion of the opening ceremony out more than usual.
Downhill was canceled due to wind last night.

Buck87

Quote from: Buck87 on February 10, 2018, 11:10:54 PM
Nice to see that American kid win gold, and I heard them say he was originally from Ohio. He's now the youngest snowboarder to win gold and also the first Olympic gold medalist born in the year 2000.

VS988

Does anyone know where I can find a video of the podium for that?

I tried a couple times today with no success, best I could find online was the little on-site "here's a stuffed animal" ceremony they do before the official medal ceremonies that happen later at a central location. I did find an article stating that his medal ceremony was aired at 5am Eastern on the Olympic channel, so now I know I need to DVR the Olympic channel at 5am if I want to see the ceremony for Jamie Anderson who just won the Women's Slopestyle gold.

Hurricane Rex

Best moment so far: Shawn White 98.5 in qualifying.

Running till I die.

ET21

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 13, 2018, 02:42:03 AM
Best moment so far: Shawn White 98.5 in qualifying.

Mine was so far Men's Singles Luge on Sat. US winning it's first medal and Austria beating out powerhouse Germany for gold
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

mgk920

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 10, 2018, 04:11:28 AM
I'm trying to find where the country of "Olympic Athletes from Russia" is. I know where Chinese Taipei is (since I decided to adopt that as the shorthand name for the Republic of China), but OAR...

Yea, the Russian national Olympic team was DQed for doping last year, but the IOC allowed individual Russians to compete if they tested clean, only that they cannot compete under the Russian national flag.

Mike

Buck87

Shaun White wins the 100th gold medal in US Winter Olympic history

Alps

Quote from: Buck87 on February 13, 2018, 10:50:23 PM
Could have been a better moment than his qualifier. But there have been some dang good moments already. North Korea skating a flawless pairs program tonight is one.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Alps on February 13, 2018, 11:57:56 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 13, 2018, 10:50:23 PM
Could have been a better moment than his qualifier. But there have been some dang good moments already. North Korea skating a flawless pairs program tonight is one.
97.5 score though, hard to beat that.

Running till I die.

Big John

ON the snowboard cross, the announcers are calling the last portion the I-5 Corridor.

7/8

Patrick Chan again falls on the triple axel. He's such a graceful skater, and clearly top-notch. It just hurts to see him fall when the rest of his skating is so great.

Buck87

Mikaela Shiffrin won the gold in the giant slalom but missed the podium in the slalom, which is her best event. She got so nervous yesterday that she puked before the race. It'll be interesting to see how she does in the combined.

VS988

jakeroot

Quote from: Buck87 on February 16, 2018, 06:28:53 AM
Mikaela Shiffrin won the gold in the giant slalom but missed the podium in the slalom, which is her best event. She got so nervous yesterday that she puked before the race. It'll be interesting to see how she does in the combined.

She actually indicated that the vomiting was not "nerve" induced, but rather related to a "virus"...

Quote from: USA Today Sports
"It almost felt like a virus, less about nerves," she told NBC. "We will see. I'm not super far off. It's nice to have that first round out of the way."

english si

Britain has a Winter Olympic medal on skis! :O

That's now two medals on snow ever! (not counting the one removed due to Americans putting trace amounts of performance-enhancing drugs in vapo-rub meaning out first one, at SLC, had his one lost). Everything else we've won on ice.

And two bronzes this games - already a good one for us and it's still a couple of hours until our best gold medal hopes (and actually gold, not merely hoping to get a medal) have their finals. Our best ever games were Chamonix and Sochi with 4: gold, silver, 2xbronze and we've only got two medals or more 7 times in 23 games (including this time). And we might get 4 today!

CNGL-Leudimin

And Spain has a Winter Olympic medal on ice! Also two on the same Winter Olympics, which has never happened before. We doubled our total number of Winter Olympic medals in just a couple days.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

Quote from: english si on February 17, 2018, 05:11:45 AMAnd we might get 4 today!
Well, we've lost that insane hope. Christie pulled a Sochi and got disqualified from the 1500m (at least she wasn't penalised in the 500m this time - merely taken out by a competitor). Still, she's hopefully only injured as bad as they say, and can do the 1000m: which she's also World Champion in and certainly capable of gold if she's not disqualified for a 5th time in 9 attempts for Olympic short track medals!

And we still enter the final round of woman's skeleton in 2nd and 4th, so still have lots to play for today, including the possibility of a Brit with more than one Winter Olympic medal.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 17, 2018, 06:08:29 AMAnd Spain has a Winter Olympic medal on ice! Also two on the same Winter Olympics, which has never happened before. We doubled our total number of Winter Olympic medals in just a couple days.
Huzzah! It's always good to see countries without the right geographical and meterological conditions stopping the others from hogging all the medals!

english si

Edit - and that's it: Gold and Bronze

First time a Brit has won two Winter Olympic gold medals (I've found that another Brit won a bronze and a gold)
First time Britain has got two medals from the same event at the Winter Olympics
First time Britain has won two medals in a day at the Winter Olympics, and we have three!
First time we've had a total medal haul in the skeleton that isn't 1 (we've never come away empty) - and again it's 3!

US 89

Quote from: english si on February 17, 2018, 05:11:45 AM
Britain has a Winter Olympic medal on skis! :O

That's now two medals on snow ever! (not counting the one removed due to Americans putting trace amounts of performance-enhancing drugs in vapo-rub meaning out first one, at SLC, had his one lost). Everything else we've won on ice.

Actually, the ski racing events aren't really on snow. Those downhill courses are basically a sheet of ice.

bing101

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on February 17, 2018, 09:44:53 PM
http://time.com/5159419/next-winter-olympics-2026/

Update now speculation of the 2026 games are at play.

My predictions:

2026: Canceled due to WWIII
2030: Somewhere in southern Chile (they're farther south than we are north)
2034: Boston, MA
2038: Olympus Mons, Mars
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

I wish the Winter Olympics were on TV live. Nowadays, leaks ruin everything.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MisterSG1

Quote from: bing101 on February 17, 2018, 09:44:53 PM
http://time.com/5159419/next-winter-olympics-2026/

Update now speculation of the 2026 games are at play.

In other words, it's up for Los Angeles to save the Olympic movement again like they did in 1984.

Generally, in most cases, Olympic Games staged in the US are sure winners for not having any cost overruns.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 11:02:45 PM
Yeah, I looked at tape from Friday overnight and it was all the same stuff we saw live on Friday night. Come on, I know there are ongoing events all during our wee hours of the AM, why can't you show those live even if no one's up to watch?

MisterSG1

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2018, 01:38:17 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 11:02:45 PM
Yeah, I looked at tape from Friday overnight and it was all the same stuff we saw live on Friday night. Come on, I know there are ongoing events all during our wee hours of the AM, why can't you show those live even if no one's up to watch?

Are you at least able to stream them online through NBC.

As we speak at 2:30 AM Eastern, we have women's curling CAN vs SUI live. Men's Cross Country 4 x 10 km relay both on separate channels. When the curling match is over they will start men's hockey CZE vs SUI

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.