News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Driving down the CA-1

Started by F350, April 20, 2010, 07:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hm insulators

Quote from: TheStranger on April 27, 2010, 04:49:07 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on April 27, 2010, 03:46:31 PM

One suggestion: Instead of going through Malibu and Santa Monica, consider this, especially in the non-rush-hour: When you hit Ventura, stay on US 101, then at Thousand Oaks, turn north on California 23 Freeway. After about ten miles, this freeway elbows east to become California 118 through Simi Valley and San Fernando Valley. The 118 Freeway eventually dead-ends at I-210. Follow I-210 east through Pasadena (unless it's the afternoon rush hour, the 210 is usually a little better-behaved), then in Glendora, if you wish to use I-10, you can drop south on California 57 for a few miles, or (better yet) stay on what changes to California 210 through San Bernardino; it will eventually bend south to meet I-10 in Redlands.

Is taking the 134 directly east to 210 from 101 a better option at times than going up 23 to 118 to get to 210 east?

It can be, but the 101 across the San Fernando Valley usually slows to a crawl at any time of day. It's a bear! Hey, I lived many years in the San Fernando Valley and rarely used it. The apartment where I used to live in Van Nuys was right on Woodman Avenue, which has access to the 101, but it was always far easier to use Victory Boulevard east to California 170, then south to the 134 if I was going toward, say, Pasadena.

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

F350

I've completed the trip.

At that time, I decided to scrap the CA-1 route. I went through California Central Valley instead. I started out on CA-156, then CA-99 (once US-99), and lastly CA-58 to Barstow where I got on I-15 heading to I-70. I stayed on I-70 until the high plains because I liked the view so much. I wanted an alternative route as anything east of STL looked the same, but I was getting bored by then so I stuck to I-70 to save time.

While I didn't get to see CA-1, I'm just as pleased driving through the central valley of California. It's like another world.

F350

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 21, 2010, 04:04:22 PM

This is my recommendation.  Everything east of Colorado is just a direct route.  I don't think there really is much scenery in the midwest.  There are some mountains in Oklahoma and the Southern Appalachians are nice. 
Except for CA-1, this is the route I used to a "T". Well worth the drive, IMO.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: F350 on May 15, 2010, 04:20:08 PM
I've completed the trip.

At that time, I decided to scrap the CA-1 route. I went through California Central Valley instead. I started out on CA-156, then CA-99 (once US-99), and lastly CA-58 to Barstow where I got on I-15 heading to I-70. I stayed on I-70 until the high plains because I liked the view so much. I wanted an alternative route as anything east of STL looked the same, but I was getting bored by then so I stuck to I-70 to save time.

While I didn't get to see CA-1, I'm just as pleased driving through the central valley of California. It's like another world.
CA-58 is actually a really nice route between Bakersfield and Mojave.  It will be nice when it becomes I-40, assuming that will ever happen.  I'm glad you chose my route, but I still think CA-1 would have been worth the detour.  The Pacific Coast is goregous as mountains soar throughout the coast. 
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.