News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California's original numbering plan

Started by Quillz, November 16, 2010, 01:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 22, 2011, 11:54:06 AM

31 - jumps inland, now under I-15 around Norco

31 was not a pre-1964 route; the streets that it used before I-15 was built in the area (Hammer and Miliken Avenues) are still in existence as well.  Not sure if the northern part past I-10 was ever signed or built as Route 31.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on March 22, 2011, 01:55:30 PM

31 was not a pre-1964 route; the streets that it used before I-15 was built in the area (Hammer and Miliken Avenues) are still in existence as well.  Not sure if the northern part past I-10 was ever signed or built as Route 31.

oh okay.  explains why I've never seen a bear 31...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DTComposer

As I was looking, I realized there was a pattern starting at 4 as well, but it goes south to north and is much more spread out:

4: Pinole-Antioch-Stockton-Angel's Camp-Woodfords
8: Stockton-Jackson
12: Sebastopol-Napa-Lodi-San Andreas
16: Rumsey-Woodland-Sacramento-Plymouth
20: Ukiah-Colusa-Yuba City-Grass Valley-Cisco
24: Oakland-Rio Vista-Sacramento-Yuba City-Oroville-Quincy (crosses a lot in the first section)
28: (this is the screwy one) Albion-Cloverdale-St Helena-Winters-Davis (it's kinda between 12 and 20)
32: Orland-Chico-Chester
36: Fortuna-Red Bluff-Mineral
40: (skipped because of US 40)
44: Redding-Viola

Again, not perfect, but there is a pattern.

TheStranger

DTComposer: Was 28 ever signed?  I've heard of it, and some of it eventually became today's signed Route 128, but it wasn't a sign number by the 1950s (when current Route 28 along north Lake Tahoe was established).
Chris Sampang

NE2

I thought it became 128 when they decided to sign 28 to match Nevada.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 23, 2011, 01:57:23 PM
I thought it became 128 when they decided to sign 28 to match Nevada.

that is what I have heard too, and that this took place around 1951.

I've never seen a bear 28 or 128.

jake@aaroads.com

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on March 23, 2011, 01:53:29 PM
DTComposer: Was 28 ever signed?  I've heard of it, and some of it eventually became today's signed Route 128, but it wasn't a sign number by the 1950s (when current Route 28 along north Lake Tahoe was established).

I'm not sure about in the field, but it is signed in my 1944 atlas, which I'll scan if I get a free moment.

DTComposer

Here it is, running from the coast at upper left to Davis at lower right:

myosh_tino

The routing of highway 28 in that old map matches the current-day routing of CA-128 except CA-128 doesn't make it to Davis.  It ends in Winters at I-505.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TheStranger

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 24, 2011, 02:41:25 AM
The routing of highway 28 in that old map matches the current-day routing of CA-128 except CA-128 doesn't make it to Davis.  It ends in Winters at I-505.

Interestingly, the legislative route for today's 128 does extend from 505 in Winters to Davis, but this has never been signed (it follows the Russell Boulevard corridor approximately).
Chris Sampang

Quillz

Quote from: DTComposer on March 23, 2011, 11:18:15 PM

Here it is, running from the coast at upper left to Davis at lower right:

Wow, some of those old highways looked interesting, and many of them were much longer than what remains today. I wish US-99 was still around...

agentsteel53

just noticed 37 running all the way up to Monticello. Is that 121 now?  I can't quite correlate it with the modern map.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Most likely 37 ended at 28 south of Monticello. Yes, that's 121.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DTComposer

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 24, 2011, 06:21:55 PM
just noticed 37 running all the way up to Monticello. Is that 121 now?  I can't quite correlate it with the modern map.

Yes, the southern part is still around as 121. The northern part is, I believe, Steele Canyon Road (not a state highway) and ran to Monticello, which is now underneath Lake Berryessa. What was 28 then ran southeast through what is now the Putah Creek portion of the lake, where it joins up with the present highway (128).

agentsteel53

Quote from: DTComposer on March 24, 2011, 11:36:17 PM
which is now underneath Lake Berryessa

that explains why I am having so much trouble reconciling the two!  usually I'm quite good at looking at a new map and plucking out the old alignment ... being under a lake makes things a tad more difficult :)

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I recommend old topos: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/250k/ (Santa Rosa covers this area, and they have pre- and post-lake)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.