News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webfil

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 07, 2022, 01:35:54 PM
With the location of the new terminus at 170, does that position them for a future southern bypass of LaBaie?
R-381 already is the southern bypass for La Baie. It was relocated in the late 1990's. Prior to that, it reached Grande-Baie via Chemin de la Rivière Along Ha! Ha! River. Trafic East and South of La Baie is scarce, light years away from warranting anything access-controlled around or beyond the town, whether it's two or four lanes.

andrepoiy

so... why does the MTQ need so many years to construct 5 km of freeway...?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: andrepoiy on July 08, 2022, 12:51:21 AM

I wondered the same question. Some joked then they built one section before an election. Then built another one before another election,....

Looks like the interchange north of Quebec Bridge and Pierre-Laporte bridge will get some big changes coming ahead.
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/projets-infrastructures/reseau-routier/projets-routiers/capitale-nationale/echangeurs-ponts-pierre-laporte-quebec/Pages/maintien-bonification.aspx
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/projets-infrastructures/reseau-routier/projets-routiers/capitale-nationale/echangeurs-ponts-pierre-laporte-quebec/Documents/carte-echangeurs-nord-des-ponts.pdf

webfil

It
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 13, 2022, 02:56:23 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on July 08, 2022, 12:51:21 AM

I wondered the same question. Some joked then they built one section before an election. Then built another one before another election,....
Its construction is made through highly unstable terrain (see map of landslide-prone areas ― one occurred just across the Mars River one month ago, forcing nearly 200 out of their homes), so precautionary measures and stabilisation works are likely required... but the pace of announcements is indeed curiously compliant with the electoral calendar.

Richard3

Meanwhile, in Shawinigan,...

Works on pont des Piles (A-55/QC-155) are going well.  As we can see on this picture, the two towers are built, and the installation of the cables will go on along the summer.  After calling for a re-opening of the bridge about end of December, then October, the MTQ is now talking about "beginning of fall", if no problem occurs.  They even talk about planning a special plan if re-opening of the bridge is not done by the beginning of St-Tite's Western Festival, scheduled this year from September 9th to 18th.  The only negative point, for now, is that the 9-million CA$ budget of the entire operation will definitely be broken.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

ethanhopkin14

I have just recently learned of the history of the Quebec Bridge.  Wow!   That is some story.  Sorry so many lives were lost. 

Stephane Dumas

Stephane Dumas

Someone uploaded on GSV some views of "The Route du Nord" as well as the James Bay Highway.
https://goo.gl/maps/J71vu1HSvu7UqALF9
https://goo.gl/maps/qng6SZNViixdGWDu8

Richard3

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 28, 2022, 06:31:45 PM
I have just recently learned of the history of the Quebec Bridge.  Wow!   That is some story.  Sorry so many lives were lost.

As of today, the Quebec Bridge is still the world's longest cantilever bridge.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Stephane Dumas

GSV show an updated view of the reconfigurated ramps of A-10 exit 68 (PQ-139) on the westbound side.  https://goo.gl/maps/2VMTfcaFdYvYMNWE8

Now if they could update their satellite views....

andrepoiy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 17, 2022, 01:56:16 PM
GSV show an updated view of the reconfigurated ramps of A-10 exit 68 (PQ-139) on the westbound side.  https://goo.gl/maps/2VMTfcaFdYvYMNWE8

Now if they could update their satellite views....

Why was the old interchange so weird anyways?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: andrepoiy on August 19, 2022, 10:58:20 AM
Why was the old interchange so weird anyways?

There was a time when A-10 was a toll road and the "inner cloverleaf" ramps allowed drivers to enter or exit while paying a toll like the former toll plaza at Marieville.
https://numerique.banq.qc.ca/patrimoine/details/52327/3163994

A-15(Laurentian autoroute), A-13 and A-40 (North Shore autoroute) between Montreal and Berthierville was also once toll roads.

MikeTheActuary

The Conservatives are apparently attempting to make the speed limit an issue in Québec's elections this year:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/eric-duhaime-120kmh-speed-limit

(The CPQ is unlikely to win more than a few seats, however.)

LilianaUwU

QC 199 during Hurricane Fiona. Multiple segments looked like this:

https://twitter.com/Pat_wx/status/1573636618388480001
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Stephane Dumas

GSV show the new supports on A-55 bridge spanning the St-Maurice river.
https://goo.gl/maps/fXqcf9jNFHu6eT4s8

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 11, 2022, 05:47:31 PM
So, my employer had its RTO last week, and I'm now making my first trip in since the start of the pandemic.

I stopped at the 89/133 crossing this afternoon to get a new work permit, and was surprised a few km later to encounter a construction zone.  (Actually, since I was headed to Montréal, I guess construction shouldn't have been much of a surprise.)

Looks like they are reasonably well along with grading for the southern extension of Autoroute 35.  Sadly, I wasn't prepared with a camera; maybe next trip.

I'm in Montréal for work again, and passed through the Autoroute 35 construction zone.   Again, didn't really have the opportunity to take pictures.

The simple future interchange where 35 will eventually diverge from 133 is taking shape, with construction underway for the future ramp from southbound 133 to whatever the highway to the border will be designated as (not sure whether it will be a full Autoroute, or retain the non-controlled access 133 designation).

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 13, 2022, 07:24:26 AM

The simple future interchange where 35 will eventually diverge from 133 is taking shape, with construction underway for the future ramp from southbound 133 to whatever the highway to the border will be designated as (not sure whether it will be a full Autoroute, or retain the non-controlled access 133 designation).

There's some plans to upgrade the remaining gap of PQ-133 as full freeway and one interchange will replace an intersection.
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/projets-infrastructures/reseau-routier/projets-routiers/monteregie/autoroute-35-prolongement/Documents/Documentation/Cartes/Simulation_St_Armand_sud_petite.pdf

webfil

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 13, 2022, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 13, 2022, 07:24:26 AM

There's some plans to upgrade the remaining gap of PQ-133 as full freeway and one interchange will replace an intersection.
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/projets-infrastructures/reseau-routier/projets-routiers/monteregie/autoroute-35-prolongement/Documents/Documentation/Cartes/Simulation_St_Armand_sud_petite.pdf

The construction of the Philipsburg interchange is slated for an undated phase IV, along with the Saint-Alexandre interchange. Although a design for thie Philipsburg interchange has been made public, there has been no land acquisition, thus probably no definitive planning. There is hardly 1,000, nay 2,000 vpd on this section; nothing justifies grading quickly the scarce intersections with low-volume roads or dead-end streets south of Pike River.

Chris

A 5.8 kilometer segment of Autoroute 85 has been upgraded to a full freeway east and west of Exit 60 at Saint-Honoré-de-Témiscouata. The official opening was on November 2.

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/nouveau-troncon-Saint-Honore-de-Temiscouata.aspx

Richard3

Quote from: webfil on October 13, 2022, 03:33:29 PM
The construction of the Philipsburg interchange is slated for an undated phase IV, along with the Saint-Alexandre interchange. Although a design for thie Philipsburg interchange has been made public, there has been no land acquisition, thus probably no definitive planning. There is hardly 1,000, nay 2,000 vpd on this section; nothing justifies grading quickly the scarce intersections with low-volume roads or dead-end streets south of Pike River.

Just looking at the MTQ website, on the A-35 Project page, Phase IV is still undated, and still reported as "on planning" in the PQI (Plan québécois des infrastructures, or Quebec's Infrastructural Plan), but is on the list of bill 66, accelerating some government projects, adopted in 2020, so it will probably begin in 2023 or 2024, in order to upgrade the last part of the actual QC-133 (the divided part) to interstate standards.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Richard3

Quote from: Chris on November 04, 2022, 06:45:59 PM
A 5.8 kilometer segment of Autoroute 85 has been upgraded to a full freeway east and west of Exit 60 at Saint-Honoré-de-Témiscouata. The official opening was on November 2.

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/nouveau-troncon-Saint-Honore-de-Temiscouata.aspx

Next time I'll go the the Maritime Provinces, I'll have to bring my camcorder to take some images of the whole project. The 40-km (25-mile) remaining stretch was separated in 7 parts, so for now, parts 1, 2, 3 and 6 are open to traffic (parts 1, 2 and 3 fully completed, and part 6 will have the last asphalt coat in 2023), and work are in full srtrenth on parts 4, 5 and 7, with next openings planned for 2024, and works fully completed by 2026.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

webfil

Quote from: Richard3 on December 11, 2022, 09:29:31 PM

Just looking at the MTQ website, on the A-35 Project page, Phase IV is still undated, and still reported as "on planning" in the PQI (Plan québécois des infrastructures, or Quebec's Infrastructural Plan), but is on the list of bill 66, accelerating some government projects, adopted in 2020, so it will probably begin in 2023 or 2024, in order to upgrade the last part of the actual QC-133 (the divided part) to interstate standards.
Hold your horses, construction will not begin in 2023. There, you have it : it's listed as in planning in the PQI, which lists the priorities in terms of infrastructures for the next 10 years. The status remains the same since Saint-Sébastien―Philipsburg and Philipsburg-Border sections were split in two phases in 2019. Funding for the construction has not even been secured by the Treasury board, so the works are not about to begin since no provision for a contract was made, no contractor was chosen, no tender was received and no calls for tenders was launched ― and I'm not even talking about the needed ministerial authorizations and redtaping.

Regarding the wide range of autoroute extensions that are of debatable relevance, and the funding problem, whether it's the FORT (fund for the maintenance of the road network, supplied with declining income from gasoline taxes) or the rise of interest rates, choices will have to be made, are being made or have already been made. I do not think A-35 phase IV is one of them, for reasons previously mentionned. And when this leg of highway will be built, it will comply not to interstate standards, but to the MTQ design manuals. The latter differs greatly from the FHWA prescriptions.

Stephane Dumas

This is how the A-25 extension downgraded to a PQ-125 realignement will look from some plans I saw on this blog.
https://transportologie.wordpress.com/2022/08/21/en-bref-prolongement-de-la-125-mise-a-jour-aout-2022/

LilianaUwU

There was a major accident on QC 132 in Saint-Fabien, so local politicians have been calling for the extension of A-20:

https://journallesoir.ca/2022/12/14/tragedie-routiere-la-20-prioritaire/
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Richard3

Quote from: webfil on December 13, 2022, 02:01:12 PM
Quote from: Richard3 on December 11, 2022, 09:29:31 PM

Hold your horses, construction will not begin in 2023. There, you have it : it's listed as in planning in the PQI, which lists the priorities in terms of infrastructures for the next 10 years. The status remains the same since Saint-Sébastien―Philipsburg and Philipsburg-Border sections were split in two phases in 2019. Funding for the construction has not even been secured by the Treasury board, so the works are not about to begin since no provision for a contract was made, no contractor was chosen, no tender was received and no calls for tenders was launched ― and I'm not even talking about the needed ministerial authorizations and redtaping.

Regarding the wide range of autoroute extensions that are of debatable relevance, and the funding problem, whether it's the FORT (fund for the maintenance of the road network, supplied with declining income from gasoline taxes) or the rise of interest rates, choices will have to be made, are being made or have already been made. I do not think A-35 phase IV is one of them, for reasons previously mentionned. And when this leg of highway will be built, it will comply not to interstate standards, but to the MTQ design manuals. The latter differs greatly from the FHWA prescriptions.

I share your opinion on the project, but I don't think the transformation of that section of the QC-133 into A-35 would be so complicated. I mean, the roadway is already 2x2, so the only major changes consist in turning intersections into interchanges, and adding some stretches of service road here and there.  The cost of that entire section would not be so high; we don't talk about billions, here.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.