What's the easternmost (US) pickup truck model name?

Started by kurumi, October 16, 2018, 11:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

In other words, out west there are plenty of pickup truck towns and natural features: Tahoe, Durango, Silverado, etc. But how far east does this go? I can't, for example, picture a guy working his ranch in a Chevy Cincinnati, no matter how much it can haul.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

paulthemapguy

I LOVE this question.

I think there's a GMC Acadia, but that isn't a pickup truck I don't think.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Max Rockatansky

What's the criteria we are going for "truck" with?  Are we talking a body-on-frame vehicle with a pickup bed or would this encompass all SUVs and CUVs as well?

CNGL-Leudimin

At least there is the (US) disclaimer, because otherwise I would say Durango is the easternmost pickup truck model name by a whole ocean of margin :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

Found a couple that were discontinued: the Zastava Florida Poly (made by Yugo, with a Miami submodel), and the Ford Bantam (produced only in South Africa, but there's a Bantam, CT and the popular Bantam Lake is nearby). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 16, 2018, 11:57:56 PM
I LOVE this question.

I think there's a GMC Acadia, but that isn't a pickup truck I don't think.

Neither is the Tahoe, but the OP cited it.....

Edited to add: I just mentioned this to a guy at the office. We can think of plenty of CAR models with East Coast names (Chrysler Sebring and New Yorker, Dodge Daytona, to name but three), but we were hard-pressed to think of trucks. He suggested "Chevy Boston"  wouldn't be such a bad name because "those western ranchers might enjoy driving it–they might find its more than a feeling."   :hmm:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Going strictly with pickups and light trucks, Hyundai makes the Hyundai Porter (only available in South Korea, apparently).  There is the Town of Porter in Maine on the ME/NH border.

HazMatt

Dodge Dakota?  I doubt there's anything east of the Great Plains if we're talking strictly trucks.

westerninterloper

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

kurumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 17, 2018, 12:09:49 AM
What's the criteria we are going for "truck" with?  Are we talking a body-on-frame vehicle with a pickup bed or would this encompass all SUVs and CUVs as well?

SUVs and CUVs as well (as inadvertently established with the Tahoe example). Roughly "not a car or motorcycle"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CNGL-Leudimin

If SUVs are included, then again the (US) disclaimer rules out the Seat Ateca, which is ever farther East than Durango (but still West from me).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

briantroutman

As a kind of slightly semi-related subtopic, I've always found it both funny and ironic that a few of Chevrolet's long-running model names are places where I can't possibly imagine a resident driving a Chevrolet (Malibu, Bel Air, Monte Carlo).

1995hoo

Quote from: briantroutman on October 17, 2018, 12:30:26 PM
As a kind of slightly semi-related subtopic, I've always found it both funny and ironic that a few of Chevrolet's long-running model names are places where I can't possibly imagine a resident driving a Chevrolet (Malibu, Bel Air, Monte Carlo).

I don't know about them never driving any model Chevrolet. The Corvette is, technically, a "Chevrolet"  even though nobody ever uses the full form of that word in reference to said vehicle. I could maybe see someone in those places owning a Corvette. But otherwise I agree with your post as a general matter.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2018, 02:07:58 PM

I don't know about them never driving any model Chevrolet. The Corvette is, technically, a "Chevrolet"  even though nobody ever uses the full form of that word in reference to said vehicle. I could maybe see someone in those places owning a Corvette. But otherwise I agree with your post as a general matter.

And the Camaro.  And also a large SUV and a large pickup (Suburban and Silverado), both of which can be status symbols and are good for shuttling things and people around.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

Does Town 'n' Country, Florida count as sharing a name with the Chrysler Town & Country?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Henry

I'd agree with the Dakota name being the easternmost truck model name, even though Dodge hasn't made that for over a decade and its former flagship truck (Ram) has been spun off into its own brand anyway.

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2018, 02:23:55 PM
As a kind of slightly semi-related subtopic, I’ve always found it both funny and ironic that a few of Chevrolet’s long-running model names are places where I can’t possibly imagine a resident driving a Chevrolet (Malibu, Bel Air, Monte Carlo).

I don’t know about them never driving any model Chevrolet. The Corvette is, technically, a “Chevrolet” even though nobody ever uses the full form of that word in reference to said vehicle. I could maybe see someone in those places owning a Corvette. But otherwise I agree with your post as a general matter.

And the Camaro.  And also a large SUV and a large pickup (Suburban and Silverado), both of which can be status symbols and are good for shuttling things and people around.

Ahem...you forgot Tahoe!

Aurora, IL (and CO too!) and Calais, ME, have been used on both Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles, though the Cadillac Aurora was a concept car, and the Olds version eventually made it to actual production. Both Calais cars were produced in one form or another.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Duke87 on October 17, 2018, 07:29:43 PMDoes Town 'n' Country, Florida count as sharing a name with the Chrysler Town & Country?
The Town & Country, be it the older station wagon variants or the later minivan doesn't count because neither were a pick-up truck, SUV or even CUV.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

frankenroad

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2018, 09:00:45 AM

I just mentioned this to a guy at the office. We can think of plenty of CAR models with East Coast names (Chrysler Sebring and New Yorker, Dodge Daytona, to name but three), but we were hard-pressed to think of trucks. He suggested "Chevy Boston"  wouldn't be such a bad name because "those western ranchers might enjoy driving it–they might find its more than a feeling."   :hmm:

That song happened to be playing when I read this comment!
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

nexus73

As a kind of slightly semi-related subtopic, I’ve always found it both funny and ironic that a few of Chevrolet’s long-running model names are places where I can’t possibly imagine a resident driving a Chevrolet (Malibu, Bel Air, Monte Carlo).

Don't forget the Biscayne and DelRay, two of the lowest end models with names from fancy Florida places. 

Honorable mention: Hudson Hornet Hollywood, Pontiac Catalina, Mercury Monterey.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SCtoKC

Regarding the Monte Carlo, it was likely named for the city because of the Formula 1 race there.  Naming a car after a race track is a common theme among many car makers (Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Daytona, Pontiac Le Mans, Chevrolet Monza).

jon daly

Yeah, they're not the Chevrolet set; they're the jet set.

jon daly

Quote from: Henry on October 18, 2018, 09:31:11 AM
I'd agree with the Dakota name being the easternmost truck model name, even though Dodge hasn't made that for over a decade and its former flagship truck (Ram) has been spun off into its own brand anyway.

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2018, 02:23:55 PM

I don’t know about them never driving any model Chevrolet. The Corvette is, technically, a “Chevrolet” even though nobody ever uses the full form of that word in reference to said vehicle. I could maybe see someone in those places owning a Corvette. But otherwise I agree with your post as a general matter.

Ahem...you forgot Tahoe!

Aurora, IL (and CO too!) and Calais, ME, have been used on both Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles, though the Cadillac Aurora was a concept car, and the Olds version eventually made it to actual production. Both Calais cars were produced in one form or another.

Named after Calais, France. IIRC, Calais, Maine is pronounced like "callous."

1995hoo

The one in Maine is actually pronounced like "chalice,"  as far as I recall from the most recent time I was there.

formulanone

Quote from: SCtoKC on October 18, 2018, 09:17:36 PM

Regarding the Monte Carlo, it was likely named for the city because of the Formula 1 race there.  Naming a car after a race track is a common theme among many car makers (Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Daytona, Pontiac Le Mans, Chevrolet Monza).

The Dodge Charge Daytonas of 1969-1970 were built to tackle the speedway of the same name. Tall-winged versions of the existing Charger.

Chrysler-engined Cunninghams and Allards took a stab at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1952 and 1953, but evoking the sedate town of Sebring, Ohio is more like it.

While the Chevy Monza ran in IMSA events in heavily-modified silhouette form, I don't see records of it competing in the 4 Hours/1000KM of Monza of the World Endurance Championship.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2018, 10:23:08 PM
The one in Maine is actually pronounced like "chalice,"  as far as I recall from the most recent time I was there.
Nah.  "Callous" is how they say it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.