News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Caltrans considers widening I-80 Yolo Causeway with toll lanes

Started by Kniwt, June 04, 2018, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The Sacramento Bee reports:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article212302884.html

QuoteA 16-mile widening of the freeway through Yolo and Solano counties is among the early ideas Caltrans will showcase during a trio of public meetings this month.

... Perhaps the most challenging section would be the Yolo Causeway, the 3-mile elevated bridge and berm that crosses the Yolo floodplain between Davis and West Sacramento.

A fourth lane in each direction would extend to the Sacramento River on I-80 at the Bryte Bend Bridge and on Highway 50 at the Pioneer Memorial Bridge, which carries commuter traffic into downtown Sacramento. The project could cost $400 million. Caltrans plans to apply for state and federal grants to cover the cost.

Project officials said, however, they would consider charging a toll for peak-hour users if the state can't fund the project other ways – and if an economic analysis shows a toll lane makes sense.

... Several freeway widening possibilities are being discussed, including a "contraflow lane" option, which would turn the freeway's far left westbound lane into an eastbound lane available only to public transit during peak eastbound travel times, and vice versa.

roadfro

Good that Caltrans is looking at this. I don't travel that way very often, but I have seen some inexplicable backups on the Yolo Causeway a few times even in off peak time periods.

One quote from the article that is in error:
QuoteTolls are common on Bay Area bridges and on major routes in some other states. But California has limited experience with toll lanes on freeways, which by definition do not charge fees.
The article author needs to check the definition of "freeway"...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sparker

Quote from: Kniwt on June 04, 2018, 06:54:11 PM
The Sacramento Bee reports:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article212302884.html

QuoteA 16-mile widening of the freeway through Yolo and Solano counties is among the early ideas Caltrans will showcase during a trio of public meetings this month.

... Perhaps the most challenging section would be the Yolo Causeway, the 3-mile elevated bridge and berm that crosses the Yolo floodplain between Davis and West Sacramento.

A fourth lane in each direction would extend to the Sacramento River on I-80 at the Bryte Bend Bridge and on Highway 50 at the Pioneer Memorial Bridge, which carries commuter traffic into downtown Sacramento. The project could cost $400 million. Caltrans plans to apply for state and federal grants to cover the cost.

Project officials said, however, they would consider charging a toll for peak-hour users if the state can't fund the project other ways – and if an economic analysis shows a toll lane makes sense.

... Several freeway widening possibilities are being discussed, including a "contraflow lane" option, which would turn the freeway's far left westbound lane into an eastbound lane available only to public transit during peak eastbound travel times, and vice versa.

There's enough commuter traffic between Sacramento and Davis/Dixon to likely ensure a reasonable number of new. FasTrak subscribers -- enough to make this a viable prospect.  However, I do hope Caltrans (and the local MPO, which is undoubtedly a party to this concept) don't simply elect to keep the present 3+3 configuration and turn the left lane into a part-day HOT lane!  Add the lane and add the toll -- period. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.