News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

To what extent is political discussion banned?

Started by webny99, January 22, 2018, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I was considering starting a thread about a certain news site, but thought it might be interpreted as too political, and/or lead to political discussion. So I thought I'd ask.

I gather that when it comes to politics, facts are usually OK, opinions/banter not so much? It would be good to get some official confirmation before I do something foolish  :-P

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2018, 11:44:07 AM
I was considering starting a thread about a certain news site, but thought it might be interpreted as too political, and/or lead to political discussion. So I thought I'd ask.

I gather that when it comes to politics, facts are usually OK, opinions/banter not so much? It would be good to get some official confirmation before I do something foolish  :-P

While I'm far from an official person here...

This is road forum.  A roadgeek forum.   It's really the only one that exists.  While we do have an 'Off Topic' forum, there are a gadzillion other forums and groups out on the Internet if you'll like to talk politics that will be better suited for your purpose.

Besides...'facts' are often opinionated facts.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 22, 2018, 11:48:37 AM
While we do have an 'Off Topic' forum, there are a gadzillion other forums and groups out on the Internet if you'll like to talk politics that will be better suited for your purpose.
Of course, and it would have been in the Off-Topic board, and not directly related to politics anyways. I'm just interested in the answer, even if I decide against posting anything remotely politics-related.

hbelkins

Given that roads are generally built by political entities, avoidance of politics cannot be completely accomplished here.

If one wants to discuss the politics behind a certain decision to build or not build a project -- see any of the Breezewood threads -- then that's generally acceptable.

But a "Trump Bad, Hillary Good" discussion would be shut down pretty quickly. And a "Trump Good, Hillary Bad" discussion would be shut down even quicker, given what I've observed of the political leanings of some of the powers that be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2018, 12:06:47 PM
But a "Trump Bad, Hillary Good" discussion would be shut down pretty quickly. And a "Trump Good, Hillary Bad" discussion would be shut down even quicker, given what I've observed of the political leanings of some of the powers that be.
Well, at least in your case, you've been allowed to keep your profile message :-D
[zips lips and discards key]

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

The way to have a successful discussion about politics (broadly defined) is to confine it to policy and avoid referring to the people or parties that might carry it out--certainly not in an emotionally arousing or morally charged fashion.  As a group we are strong in STEM and English composition (not surprising among roadgeeks), but weak in the social sciences.  As a result I find policy discussions tend to run aground from the lack of a detailed understanding of how the economy works, though this is certainly not a reason not to keep pushing forward with them.

I don't think a discussion of media providers is likely to prove productive, largely because the cable news networks are widely seen as the propaganda arms of their respective political tendencies, and propaganda is all about attracting an emotional response.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 22, 2018, 02:40:33 PM
I don't think a discussion of media providers is likely to prove productive, largely because the cable news networks are widely seen as the propaganda arms of their respective political tendencies, and propaganda is all about attracting an emotional response.
Well, in so many words, that's what I was afraid of. Very well put. I think this is proving to be a valuable discussion, so I'm glad I did this before diving into something controversial.

Quote from: NE2 on January 22, 2018, 02:13:58 PM
Welcome to the anti-Trump resistance.
So thankful for this right now:
Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2018, 12:11:07 PM

roadman65

Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2018, 04:22:42 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 22, 2018, 02:40:33 PM
Well, in so many words, that's what I was afraid of. Very well put. I think this is proving to be a valuable discussion, so I'm glad I did this before diving into something controversial.

Quote from: NE2 on January 22, 2018, 02:13:58 PM
Welcome to the anti-Trump resistance.
So thankful for this right now:
Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2018, 12:11:07 PM
Don't mind him. 

Yes its a touchy subject these days as the rift between the two sides is farther than it ever was before.  Anyway, always stay away from religion and politics anyplace you go nowadays, and there are plenty of forums out there where you can talk about these.  Do not ask me what which ones as I do not use them as to me I do not get into politics these days.  Heck I do not subscribe to cable anymore and am glad for it so I do not have to listen to either CNN or Fox rant about what they think is the real news and hear the news anchors and commentators opinions on typical propaganda.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2018, 12:06:47 PM
Given that roads are generally built by political entities, avoidance of politics cannot be completely accomplished here.
If one wants to discuss the politics behind a certain decision to build or not build a project -- see any of the Breezewood threads -- then that's generally acceptable.

In terms of occurrence ratio here, it is about 90:10 in favor of the first option.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

Dump is at least 20 times as bad as Clinton, so there's still too much shite.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SSOWorld

The point has been made.  Read the guidelines.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.