News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State Toll Roads and Turnpikes

Started by webny99, February 16, 2018, 05:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2018, 11:46:16 AM
Quote from: LM117 on February 18, 2018, 06:38:50 AM
There were also cops on the shoulders pointing radar guns at traffic. Given how heavily the Ohio Turnpike was patrolled, I would've thought that I was in Virginia if I hadn't known any better.

Yeah, that's Ohio.  They also have a nasty habit of picking out Michigan plates intentionally to to pull over.  The Toledo War is not dead yet.

I haven't seen that type of enforcement since Maryland in the early 1980s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrcmc888

The Delaware Turnpike is generally well-maintained, but is really short.  DE-1, on the other hand, is a constantly-jammed mess.

Rothman

I used to long-distance date someone from the Slower Lower and headed down DE-1 frequently on Fridays and returning Sundays.  Don't remember any significant jams.  Of course, remember them on I-95! :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Thing 342

Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2018, 07:14:38 AM
Florida and Georgia can easily become interoperable with E-ZPass with no significant changes – North Carolina already does it.
This isn't totally true, at least technically. The NC Quickpass hardcase transponder (of which I own one; as opposed to the sticker that NCDOT also put out that only works in NC/FL/GA) hacks its way to interoperability by having both an active, EZ-Pass-compliant component as well as a passive FL/GA-compliant component. It's essentially two different transponders tied to the same account number, an effect which can be similarly achieved (albeit without the common account) by simply slapping a SunPass sticker on the back on an EZ-Pass transponder. The end result is no different to the end user than true interoperability (at least in theory), but creates a whole host of annoying engineering and billing challenges that can cause the system to be quite error-prone in practice (as I occasionally get charged the bill-by-plate rate when using my QuickPass).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.