Help with vintage drawbridge traffic signal light ??

Started by weppler1978, June 15, 2013, 03:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weppler1978

Hi

Can anyone take a look at this Vintage Drawbridge Traffic Signal Light I'm bidding on? The info listed by the seller is kind of minimal, and what I'm hoping is can anyone tell me where this might be made, and an era. I tried for like 2 hours looking for something similar and I can't find anything? Can anyone date this piece? Or tell me anything else that might help me? I love it but would like some kind of referenceto its authenticity, even a pic online maybe or something. Its a great piece though, and I want to use it in my garage.

Oh and a maker if anyone knows? Like I didn't see crouse-hinds or anything on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130925779292

Thanks

Bill
xxx

Alps

That's a toll plaza signal, not a drawbridge signal. The red light is for toll violators. (Disclaimer: I jest. But it does look very similar to what used to be on the Garden State Parkway.)

Mdcastle

It looks like a standard traffic signal sections in the factory green were modified and then a huge custom enclosure built around them. The reflector frames and sockets look like the Crouse Hinds "R" that I have which would place it 1966-1983, but the standard ones for regular vehicle signals don't have any need for the tabs in the corners, so I don't know if they could be special ordered that way of they are something else entirely. They most definitely are not Eagle,

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve on June 16, 2013, 12:40:38 AM
That's a toll plaza signal, not a drawbridge signal. The red light is for toll violators. (Disclaimer: I jest. But it does look very similar to what used to be on the Garden State Parkway.)
Agreed.  Those signals were also used (not sure if they still are) at the Tobin Bridge, Sumner and Callahan (pre-1983) Tunnel toll plazas.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.