News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Privately Built Interchanges

Started by roadman65, February 25, 2014, 12:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Alps just influenced me in another thread.  He pointed out that a certain interchange in New Jersey along US 1 in Edison Township, NJ was built completely with private funds and no tax dollars.

Other than toll roads, how many other interchanges whether on interstate, state, county, or other were not built with tax dollars?

I know in Orlando the current Exit 71 on I-4 was built funded by a private corporation who used to own Sea World before Busch Entertainment owned the famed them park.   It was built to relieve some of the traffic on International Drive as motorists had to use FL 528 to access it before 1990 when that interchange finally opened.

Are there any in your neck of the woods or some that you are aware of elsewhere in this land or any other land.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

AsphaltPlanet

Not exactly the same thing, but IBM has an entrance to its private employee parking lot in the median of Steeles Avenue in Toronto.

http://goo.gl/maps/gV15i
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

The NJ State Highway Access Management Code actually spells out that developers may choose to, or may have to (depending on impacts) build their own interchange, and how to go about securing approval for it. I worked for awhile on a proposed development that would have had a county route overpass, so it was just the county involved and not the state, but similar procedure and would have ended up with another privately built overpass.
In terms of maintenance, since it crosses a state highway, the state has some stake in it (or in my other case, the county), but they don't own it. I wonder how that gets resolved.

roadman65

You made me think of the Six Flags overpass in Jackson.  It was obviously built by Bally's who owned it at the time, but who operates the structure being built across two counties (as CR 537 straddles the line)?

I know in Kissimmee, FL FDOT maintains the US 192/ World Drive even though it was originally built by Disney back in 1970.  Even though its traffic generated by the Theme Park, the State did actually assumed ownership in this case.  Then again how much tax revenue does WDW bring to the Great State of Florida, so they probably were glad to do it as RCID was not fully functional at the time.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

I've been told the Tuttle Crossing Blvd interchange (exit 15) on I-270 was 100% privately funded.  I assume it was the developer of the adjacent mall who footed the bill.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Private funding is pretty common. Private maintenance? The only Disney interchange that's not actually Reedy Creek maintained is Osceola Parkway at the Animal Kingdom entrance.

Quote from: roadman65 on February 25, 2014, 01:24:25 AM
I know in Kissimmee, FL FDOT maintains the US 192/ World Drive even though it was originally built by Disney back in 1970.
Are you sure FDOT didn't build the interchange? The bridge on the ramp to US 192 east looks like standard old-style FDOT construction.

Even though its traffic generated by the Theme Park, the State did actually assumed ownership in this case.  Then again how much tax revenue does WDW bring to the Great State of Florida, so they probably were glad to do it as RCID was not fully functional at the time.
What do you mean? RCID did lots of work on the drainage canals, so a few roads were probably nothing.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

In Boston, when International Place was constructed in the late 80s; the sharp-curved High St./Congress St. exit ramp off I-93 South (Exit 23) was replaced with a more straight ramp that looked nothing like any garden-issue DPW ramp or even a Central Artery look-alike.  I'm assuming that the short-lived (due to the Big Dig) new exit ramp was built w/private funds and/or input (the relocation was due to a high-rise being erected in the path of the old ramp).  Roadman can confirm/clarify/correct.

1995 Historic Aerial showing International Place (unfortunately, the high-rises obstructs the view of the new exit ramp)

1978 Historical Aerial showing the original High St./Congress St. off-ramp

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2014, 01:46:35 AM
Private funding is pretty common. Private maintenance? The only Disney interchange that's not actually Reedy Creek maintained is Osceola Parkway at the Animal Kingdom entrance.

I know in Kissimmee, FL FDOT maintains the US 192/ World Drive even though it was originally built by Disney back in 1970.
Are you sure FDOT didn't build the interchange? The bridge on the ramp to US 192 east looks like standard old-style FDOT construction.

Even though its traffic generated by the Theme Park, the State did actually assumed ownership in this case.  Then again how much tax revenue does WDW bring to the Great State of Florida, so they probably were glad to do it as RCID was not fully functional at the time.
What do you mean? RCID did lots of work on the drainage canals, so a few roads were probably nothing.
I meant to say they were not as big with roads then as they are today.

FDOT could have built the original US 192/ World Drive Trumpet, but Disney paid for it.  Maybe it was that FDOT and Disney agreed that FDOT would maintain it at the time after they built it.  I was only 5 years old when that happened so I was not up on politics at the time.

Sheryl Crowe

Truvelo

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 25, 2014, 01:13:41 AM
Not exactly the same thing, but IBM has an entrance to its private employee parking lot in the median of Steeles Avenue in Toronto.

http://goo.gl/maps/gV15i

IBM in Scotland also has it's own junction, in this case a trumpet interchange.
Speed limits limit life

mrsman

There are private interchanges in the Washington area connecting the NSA and Goddard NASA to the B-W Pkwy and the CIA to the G.W. Parkway.

Of course, since those are all federal facilities, federal tax dollars paid for those interchanges in some way.  I'm unsure if the interchanges were funded by highway budgets or by NSA, NASA, and CIA budgets.

In any event, the money circles around.   :spin:

6a

Quote from: vtk on February 25, 2014, 01:34:48 AM
I've been told the Tuttle Crossing Blvd interchange (exit 15) on I-270 was 100% privately funded.  I assume it was the developer of the adjacent mall who footed the bill.
It was, that's why it was so nicely landscaped at a time when that wasn't really a thing. I remember that being built, wondering why they needed an exit to nowhere. Kinda like Polaris. Shows you what I know about development.

Revive 755

I think US 40 at Boone's Crossing in Chesterfield, MO, was privately funded.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.