News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Electronic tolling on the 520 bridge

Started by US81, August 13, 2014, 05:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US81

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024297747_westneat13xml.html

$8,346.82! Beware the cost of crossing the 520 toll bridge

roadfro

I don't pity most of these folks who didn't check their statements, had their account statements sent to the wrong address, or didn't check the setup. If you sign on to an agreement or automatic payment system, it is your responsibility to make sure you've done everything correctly.

However, I do think the state has an obligation to make sure the account holders receive their bills in a timely manner, especially if the accounts are going to collection or worse. Also, the fees should not be exorbitant amounts. It seems like most of these people had their amounts increase tenfold with the late fines--that is ridiculous, especially if it's been less than a year.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kacie Jane

So... their credit union merged, they got a new debit/credit card, didn't update their billing information, then got bills that they didn't read?  No sympathies.  I mean, there might be something fishy going on with the fining process, but there's an easy way to avoid that.  Pay the toll and don't get fined.

jeffandnicole

The problem here is that people are apparently not making enough noise to make it easier to get the fine waived.  Making the fine a state law that can only be waived by going to court (which, in the end, is probably going to cost more than $40) is ridiculous. 

Even the IRS is willing to waive penalties in a surprising number of instances. Hell, I've gotten so used to seeing letters from the IRS it doesn't even phase me anymore.  Many times, I've made the payments online...but never filled out the proper forms!  While penalties should be incurred for not filing the paperwork on time, usually the IRS will send notices saying I paid something and there's no accompanying paperwork.  I complete the forms, mail them in, and never hear anything again (until the next time I forget to fill out the form!).

And it wouldn't be as bad if, in the instances where it was clearly the states' fault, that the fine was waived.  Clearly there should be a mob of people complaining to their elected officials about that.

Then again...people are stupid.  Constantly throwing out mail that had bills in them, claiming they were advertisements?  Yeah...there's some things you probably shouldn't even bring up in court.  Not only will you be found guilty, but they'll probably laugh at you too.  After I moved out, my mom saved *everything* that had my name on it.  Even when I told her certain things were junk, they were saved anyway...just in case.

vdeane

That's because the IRS is just an agency filled with bureaucrats who want perfectly filled out paperwork and perfectly payed taxes to match the perfectly filled out paperwork.  They'll even give back paid taxes with interest if they make a mistake.  The states, by contrast, view motorists as cash cows.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 15, 2014, 01:42:05 PM
Then again...people are stupid.  Constantly throwing out mail that had bills in them, claiming they were advertisements?  Yeah...there's some things you probably shouldn't even bring up in court.  Not only will you be found guilty, but they'll probably laugh at you too.  After I moved out, my mom saved *everything* that had my name on it.  Even when I told her certain things were junk, they were saved anyway...just in case.
That's because doing business with a company these days is basically giving them a license to spam you with advertising.  I can be hard to tell the difference.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2014, 07:48:03 PM
That's because doing business with a company these days is basically giving them a license to spam you with advertising.  I can be hard to tell the difference.

The only mail I have ever gotten from Good To Go has been toll statements -- no useless advertising -- and they all clearly stated whether there was an amount due, or if it was covered by my tag/linked card.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.