News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadside callboxes in Oregon

Started by RoadFan99, November 23, 2017, 06:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadFan99

Are there, or have there ever been, roadside call boxes in Oregon?

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bickendan

Oregon doesn't use them.
With that said, one does appear on the Broadway Bridge in Untraceable. 

nexus73

Quote from: Bickendan on November 23, 2017, 11:51:37 PM
Oregon doesn't use them.
With that said, one does appear on the Broadway Bridge in Untraceable. 

Speaking of bridges, we have a local proposal to put suicide hotline boxes on the McCullough Bridge (US 101 north of North Bend). 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

luokou

There was one set of call boxes on I-5 in Medford that I have recalled seeing back in the early-mid 90's, but those are long gone now.

sparker

Quote from: luokou on November 25, 2017, 12:26:54 PM
There was one set of call boxes on I-5 in Medford that I have recalled seeing back in the early-mid 90's, but those are long gone now.

The relatively narrow overpass in Medford had a higher-than-usual rate of accidents (exacerbated by low-lying valley fog); those were dedicated boxes connected to emergency services in case of such incidents (pre-cellular service, of course).  Last time I remember seeing them was about 2002; by 2007 they were gone. 

sp_redelectric

Quote from: nexus73 on November 24, 2017, 12:14:21 PM
Speaking of bridges, we have a local proposal to put suicide hotline boxes on the McCullough Bridge (US 101 north of North Bend).

Strangely most of the bridges in Portland have signs with the suicide hotline phone number; just no telephones.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.