News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Favorite Books

Started by BigMattFromTexas, April 28, 2009, 02:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

What are your favorite books?
You can say more than one book
Mine are "Crossing The Wire", "Steinbecks Ghost", and Two Hotdogs With Everthing
BigMatt

Chris

yanksfan6129

I luvs the John Steinbeck stuff.

Tortilla Flat, East of Eden, Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath . . .

and like Orwell: 1984, Animal Farm

and I like Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451

I like post-apocalyptic fiction, but I still haven't read Cormac McCarthy. He's on the list . . .

ComputerGuy

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw
Loser
Eggs
Hatchet
Wringer
Roads
Washington
National Geographic: A 100 Year History

and so on

J N Winkler

Where George Orwell is concerned, my tastes run more to Homage to Catalonia and Down and Out in Paris and London1984 is good, but when I was reading it, I felt it was more about living in England after World War II (rationing was kept in effect for eight years after the war ended, to limit spending on imported luxuries) than about repressive totalitarian states per se--the big giveaway is the constant references to freshly made real coffee as the sign of membership in the party elite.

I like spy thrillers and crime fiction.  I am a huge Deighton/Le CarrĂ© fan.  In recent years I have felt Eric Ambler is an underappreciated master, but this seems set to change--four of his 1930's novels are apparently to be issued as Penguin Classics.

Many of Graham Greene's novels are pure fun, e.g. Our Man in HavanaThe Power and the Glory is tough going, but worth it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

Actually making this On Topic: One of my favorite books I got a few years ago when the USDOT suddenly discovered it had a bunch of bicentennial books on the history of roads.  So a bunch of us on mtr all ordered them and, free books and free shipping later, we had our copies.  I'm sure they're all taken now, but I'm very glad I jumped on it when I did.

Sykotyk

Basically, anything by Crichton.

Also, "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Sykotyk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.