News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

Here's one:

As someone who used to live in the area, this would have SUCKED.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

webny99

Yikes!!

Too easy - Pensacola Bay Bridge (US 98) between Pensacola and Gulf Breeze, FL.

MCRoads

Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

webny99

Alright, next up (this one should also be pretty easy):

webny99

Here's a hint: The river this bridge crosses is well-known for one of its natural features.

MCRoads

Quote from: webny99 on May 12, 2021, 01:29:47 PM
Alright, next up (this one should also be pretty easy):

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what bridge this is, but I went last time.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

kphoger

The geology doesn't look right, but the bridge looks a lot like the one over Victoria Falls.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2021, 01:19:10 PM
The geology doesn't look right, but the bridge looks a lot like the one over Victoria Falls.

That's not it, but you're on the right track.

(Interestingly, now that I think about it, that could be a helpful comment in more ways than one! :))

BridgesToIdealism

That's the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge over the Niagara River Gorge between NY and Ontario. It carries Amtrak's Maple Leaf (and VIA Rail?) on the upper level, and a restricted usage NEXUS-only roadway on the lower level. The bridge is located on the site of John Roebling's famous Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

kphoger

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on May 13, 2021, 01:50:58 PM
That's the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge over the Niagara River Gorge between NY and Ontario. It carries Amtrak's Maple Leaf (and VIA Rail?) on the upper level, and a restricted usage NEXUS-only roadway on the lower level. The bridge is located on the site of John Roebling's famous Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge.

The overhead lighting threw me off.  Is that common for a railroad bridge?  I do suppose it makes more sense for a border crossing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on May 13, 2021, 01:50:58 PM

:thumbsup: That is correct. No denying an answer that specific! Photo taken at Whirlpool State Park, near here, although getting to that spot is quite a hike. No driving by on the parkway for this view!

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2021, 01:53:13 PM
The overhead lighting threw me off.  Is that common for a railroad bridge?  I do suppose it makes more sense for a border crossing.

Likely because of the border crossing. The fact that it's NEXUS only means it's by far the least-used of the Niagara crossings, but it's still plenty busy - and had been getting progressively busier every summer until COVID hit.

BridgesToIdealism

This one should be fairly easy given its rare and almost entirely unique design. My photo from summer 2020.

BridgesToIdealism

Surprised that this seems to be stumping people. This bridge's truss configuration is unique and is only one of (3?) surviving examples in the country.

Hint: the truss configuration shares its name with a popular brand of cereal.

webny99

You know you're a roadgeek when... Google Maps is more helpful than Google's search engine!

I was holding out since I just went, but it's been long enough: is it the Ponakin Road Bridge over the Nashua River in Lancaster, MA?

webny99

Wow, that was an almost unbelievable coincidence. In searching for the bridge above, I happened to stumble upon none other than...

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 07, 2021, 06:38:22 PM

What bridge is this?

... the Tyngsborough Bridge in Tyngsborough, MA?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 18, 2021, 09:24:41 AM
Wow, that was an almost unbelievable coincidence. In searching for the bridge above, I happened to stumble upon none other than...

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 07, 2021, 06:38:22 PM

What bridge is this?

Yes, although that didn't count.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 18, 2021, 09:44:30 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 18, 2021, 09:24:41 AM
Yes, although that didn't count.

Yeah, I know it didn't count - I just thought it was a crazy coincidence to find it when I wasn't even looking for it.

Also, since I guessed two, I'm going to post two (of the same bridge) once the other one is confirmed.

BridgesToIdealism

The Ponakin Road Bridge is correct.

The rare truss configuration is the Post truss, patented by Simon S. Post, and therefore shares its name with but is completely unrelated to Post Cereals.

The bridge is one of only 3 Post truss bridges remaining, two of which are in Massachusetts (the other is the Atherton Bridge a short distance to the south).

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on May 18, 2021, 09:57:08 AM
... since I guessed two, I'm going to post two (of the same bridge) once the other one is confirmed.

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on May 18, 2021, 06:58:46 PM
The Ponakin Road Bridge is correct.

Alright, here's one of my all-time favorites. I couldn't pick between summer and winter, so why not both?
Should be an easy one, so I won't give any clues.

Jim

Genesee Arch Bridge in Letchworth State Park.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

webny99

Too easy! That is correct, you're up.

Jim

I felt a little guilty guessing, but I guess my timing was right.

I'll go with this one:

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

webny99

Quote from: Jim on May 18, 2021, 10:26:24 PM

No worries. We've been progressing fairly slowly, so I'm up for a pace increase!

1995hoo

I'll go with this one:

I know where that is because I saw it in context in a trip report that included it, so I won't spoil the fun for other people.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MCRoads

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2021, 07:53:57 AM

I'll go with this one:

I know where that is because I saw it in context in a trip report that included it, so I won't spoil the fun for other people.

That looks like an incredibly cool bridge! Wish I knew where it was.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.