News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Here's my next entry ... I don't know if it will be that hard for a typical road-geek - but it definitely is an interesting bridge to look at.

Good Luck!

(And it is a real bridge, in case you were thinking it was a Photoshop deep-fake ...)

MCRoads

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 06, 2022, 08:34:22 AM
The multiple "101" and "tall building" references make me think it's somewhere in Taiwan because the tallest building in Taiwan is called Taipei 101.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rqw6evyA7rVSTTHH7
FIFY
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

JayhawkCO

dlsterner

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 07, 2022, 11:23:47 AM
Laguna Garzón Bridge

JayhawkCO, you are correct!  It is the Laguna Garzón Bridge in Uruguay.

Your turn!

JayhawkCO

webny99

I think I got it... with a little help from Google. :cool:

Edith Cavell Bridge near Queenstown, New Zealand

JayhawkCO

webny99

Alright, how about this one? I don't think it will be too hard:

1995hoo

^^^^

I recognize that bridge from personal travel, but I won't post where it is because I don't have any bridge pictures queued up. In the unlikely event the thread gets stuck, then I'll identify it to get things moving.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 09, 2022, 10:06:21 AM
I recognize that bridge from personal travel, but I won't post where it is because I don't have any bridge pictures queued up. In the unlikely event the thread gets stuck, then I'll identify it to get things moving.

I figured it might be easily recognizable, although it does have a look-alike. (If you know where it is, you'll probably know what I mean by that!)

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2022, 07:45:55 AM

I figured it might be easily recognizable, although it does have a look-alike. (If you know where it is, you'll probably know what I mean by that!)

I do indeed. There are four particular aspects that help me tell which one is which in that sort of image.

JayhawkCO

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 10, 2022, 10:59:14 AM
Bourne Bridge?

That is of course correct. You are up!

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 10, 2022, 08:11:05 AM

I do indeed. There are four particular aspects that help me tell which one is which in that sort of image.

Now that it's been guessed, I'm curious what the four aspects are, as the two bridges look almost identical.

JayhawkCO

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2022, 12:10:57 PM

Now that it's been guessed, I'm curious what the four aspects are, as the two bridges look almost identical.

Sure. I'll give you two Street View links. The first is the Bourne Bridge; the second is the Sagamore Bridge. (1) The Bourne Bridge's approaches on either side of the arch are, to my eye, noticeably longer than the Sagamore's. (2) Similarly, those big concrete monoliths (for lack of a better term) that you can see on both bridges are noticeably further away from the arch on the Bourne Bridge, especially on the Cape Cod side. (3) The terrain to either side of the Bourne Bridge looks flatter than the terrain to either side of the Sagamore. (4) Related to #3, there is a path or service road or similar that runs up the hill near the Sagamore Bridge that doesn't have an equivalent at the Bourne.

https://goo.gl/maps/uz4ue8C76wAvwaULA

https://goo.gl/maps/SiziPsC1wBarvCEB9

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 10, 2022, 12:34:49 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2022, 12:10:57 PM

Sure. I'll give you two Street View links. The first is the Bourne Bridge; the second is the Sagamore Bridge. (1) The Bourne Bridge's approaches on either side of the arch are, to my eye, noticeably longer than the Sagamore's. (2) Similarly, those big concrete monoliths (for lack of a better term) that you can see on both bridges are noticeably further away from the arch on the Bourne Bridge, especially on the Cape Cod side. (3) The terrain to either side of the Bourne Bridge looks flatter than the terrain to either side of the Sagamore. (4) Related to #3, there is a path or service road or similar that runs up the hill near the Sagamore Bridge that doesn't have an equivalent at the Bourne.

https://goo.gl/maps/uz4ue8C76wAvwaULA

https://goo.gl/maps/SiziPsC1wBarvCEB9

Interesting. I didn't pick up on #2 before. That's probably the most noticeable one at a quick glance, but all four things are definitely noticeable.

(And yet, I'm still not sure if I'd be able to tell them apart a month from now. It kind of reminds me of doing flashcards at school or trying to tell twins apart: even if you know what the differences are, you still need a trick to remember which clue goes to which!  :D)

MCRoads

Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

JayhawkCO

MCRoads

Alright, this may or may not be pretty easy, we'll see.

Interstates traveled:

more room plz

Bruce

Quote from: MCRoads on February 12, 2022, 01:53:05 PM
Alright, this may or may not be pretty easy, we'll see.

The poor ol' Dewey Bridge on UT-128.

MCRoads

That’s the one. Supposedly the county was going to rebuild it, buuut… didn’t quite happen. At this point, I don’t know if they could even reuse the stuff that is there. The cables are showing signs of deterioration, the tie in points where the cable attached to the wood look like they were destroyed by heat, and the anchor bolts look… bad. Honestly, I would be surprised if it could still hold the deck up.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

Bruce

Bruce

No takers?

A hint: This is on a U.S. route.

webny99

Is it US 101 over the Calawah River (near Forks, WA)?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.