News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

A nationwide ETC transponder standard coming soon?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 27, 2009, 12:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4221

Should prove to be interesting how they implement this. It could go two ways:

1. The government requires a whole new standard to be implemented nationwide. Toll roads would run their legacy system and the new system side by side until transponders are transitioned over. Its interesting to note that the feds. came up with an ETC protocol that failed (ASTMv6). Its likely because it wasn't functional enough for toll road authority needs.

2. The government chooses a "defacto" standard that has wide use. In this case it would likely be the Mark IV system used by EZ-Pass and SCDOT's Palmetto Pass.

Another hurdle is administration. The EZ-Pass IAG could likely handle the job, I don't see the government getting in the business of running a ETC system on their own when there is an experienced agency in place. But you never know.  :rolleyes: One thing that I would like to see is consolidation of the contracts used to operate the ETC systems in each state (billing, etc.). There is no reason why NJPTA, PANYNJ, etc. should all have separate contracts with different companies (ACS pretty much has all the EZ-Pass contracts anyway). Combining into one contract would make buying pre-paid tags much easier, no worries about which discounts you can/can't get. One area that would be an issue here is the monthly account fees.

Some other areas should be addressed in that bill regarding transponders. They should be mandated to have replaceable batteries and some sort of confirmation indicator or tone that a toll was correctly paid in high speed ETC lanes (newer Mark IV and other ETC system tags already do this). In addition, since there will be only one standard, car manufacturers can integrate transponders directly into new cars. Finally, customers should have the right to buy a transponder outright vs. leasing it.

florida

It would be nice if they could consolidate the whole system, so I could use my E-Pass up north instead of having to possibly purchase another transponder just for it. They were able to do it here; if you have E-Pass, you can use it in lieu of SunPass, O-Pass, LeeWay, etc. The money you 'spend' should go to the authority of whichever toll plaza you went through.
So many roads...so little time.

myosh_tino

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 27, 2009, 12:19:54 AMSome other areas should be addressed in that bill regarding transponders. They should be mandated to have replaceable batteries and some sort of confirmation indicator or tone that a toll was correctly paid in high speed ETC lanes (newer Mark IV and other ETC system tags already do this). In addition, since there will be only one standard, car manufacturers can integrate transponders directly into new cars. Finally, customers should have the right to buy a transponder outright vs. leasing it.
My FasTrak transponder (California's ETC device) will beep twice to indicate a successful payment.  I have no idea what company makes my transponder. 

Also, I currently do not pay anything for the transponder unless I lose it.  This varies depending on the toll collecting agency.  In the S.F. Bay Area, the local toll authority does not charge any service or maintenance fees for having a FasTrak transponder.  From what I understand, those in San Diego do have to pay a rental for the transponder.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Scott5114

After the Oklahoma City meet this weekend Eric Stuve had a Pikepass on him, and used it while David Backlin and I went with him to explore the Kilpatrick Turnpike. When passing through a transponder payment point, it emitted one long tone. It seemed like the ones where we got off the turnpike caused it to emit a lower tone, but that may have just been my imagination...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

EZ-Pass transponders don't make noise at all

in IL, if you go through an interchange plaza or cash plaza, there is a blue-yellow light set, if the blue light illuminates, the payment is deducted.  The gate opening on the Indiana Toll road is the clue.  The PA turnpike had two signals - if the green signal showed, you're good to go.

These are the toll plazas I've used - I'm sure others follow similar patterns
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

NJRoadfan

The high speed lanes have no indication a toll is paid at all with EZ-Pass. If your transponder isn't working, you'll never know.

rawmustard

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 01, 2009, 03:32:55 PM
The high speed lanes have no indication a toll is paid at all with EZ-Pass. If your transponder isn't working, you'll never know.
That's why you should always check your account shortly after you've used your transponder.

mightyace

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 01, 2009, 03:32:55 PM

Do any transponders have any way to tell you how much toll you paid or do you have to go online to check?

If it's the latter, tolling authorities can do "stealth" toll increases as most people probably don't look at the detail of their usage.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

NJRoadfan

Quote from: mightyace on July 01, 2009, 03:41:06 PM
Do any transponders have any way to tell you how much toll you paid or do you have to go online to check?

If it's the latter, tolling authorities can do "stealth" toll increases as most people probably don't look at the detail of their usage.

It depends on the toll plaza, but they usually don't. Ticket system toll roads are an interesting case because unless you look at the toll schedule beforehand, you don't know how much the trip will cost you. I think some Amtech transponders gave a readout. A nice gallery of Transcore (Amtech) tags can be found here

rawmustard

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 01, 2009, 05:25:28 PM
It depends on the toll plaza, but they usually don't. Ticket system toll roads are an interesting case because unless you look at the toll schedule beforehand, you don't know how much the trip will cost you. I think some Amtech transponders gave a readout. A nice gallery of Transcore (Amtech) tags can be found here

I thought that the displays at the Indiana Toll Road plazas gave the amount of the toll beneath the "iZoom accepted" message, but since I'm not on it frequently, I doubt that this is the case.

Sykotyk

No, they don't.

The WV Turnpike does, however.

Sykotyk

SP Cook

A national (actually international, including Canada) transponder standard is needed, and should have been what was done from the start.  Just for the trucking industry it makes sense, let alone private motorists.

I would envision that eventually transponders would be built into cars, particularly the Caddy, Lincoln, Lexus, Infiniti, M-B, etc, level, and whatever information you need intergrated into the touch screens that now take the place of the radio, A/C controls, etc.  If you live in a non-toll jurisdiction and don't want to bother with it, you would just let the device lie fallow, like people who today never activate their built in XM.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.